Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge 4-20-11 Playlist

Pages: 1 0 replies

The theme of this week’s show was a jazzy jaunt down memory lane. Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Radio Fairfax, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr
This show is only broadcast live; there are no recorded shows archived that you can listen to. However, some fans do record the show’s live broadcasts on their computers to listen to in the future.

Note: Since the beginning of this year I have been giving out new URL that is supposed to accompany our radio station’s change in name from WEBR to Radio Fairfax. Unfortunately, until this week no one at the station bothered to mention to me that the link won’t go live until June! I apologize to those who had to hunt around the FCAC website, but the old link in the above paragraph should take you directly to where you can stream the show.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: April 20, 2011

1. “Indiana March” by Roy Smeck’s Tropical Serenaders from the collection: Hawaiian Steel Guitar Classics – Historic Recordings 1927-1938

2. “Makin’ Wicky Wacky Down in Waikiki,” the 1931 song by Sophie Tucker from the anthology: Broadway’s Gone Hawaii

3. “Get Hep to Swing” by Andy Cummings & His Hawaiian Serenaders from the CD of the same name, with Andy Cummings on Guitar, Gabby Pahinui on Slack Key & Steel Guitar, David Nalu on Steel Guitar, Ralph Alapa’I on Ukulele, and Joe Diamond on Bass

4. “Nobody’s Sweetheart” by Felix Mendelsohn and His Hawaiian Serenaders from the collection of the same name

5. “Maui Chimes” from the CD: Kika Kila Meets K Ho’alu, featuring Bob Brozman on Steel and Lap Guitar and Ledward Kaapana on Slack Key Guitar

6. “Nuages” by Django Reinhardt from the collection: Only the Best [WW II classic, helped rally the French during the Nazi occupation]

7. “It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)” by the Hula Honeys from their CD: Girl Talk

8. “Blue Moon” by David Grisman on Guitar and Martin Taylor on Mandolin from their CD: Tone Poems II

9. “Beau Koo Jack” from the CD: The Best of Louis Armstrong: The Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings

10. “If I Could Be With You (One Hour Tonight)” by Helen Humes from her 1960 album: Songs I Like to Sing! With Art Pepper on Alto Sax & Clarinet, Ben Webster & Teddy Edwards on Tenor Saxes, Bill Hood on Baritone Sax, Andre Previn on Piano, Barney Kessel on Guitar, Leory Vinnegar on Bass, and Shelly Manne on Drums. Arranged & conducted by Marty Paich

11. “Krazy Kapers” the 1933 song by Benny Carter and the Chocolate Dandies from the CD Box Set: The Music Master, With Benny Carter on Alto Sax and Chu Berry on Tenor Sax, Max Kaminsky on Trumpet, Teddy Wilson on Piano and Floyd O’Brien on Trombone.

12. “I've Got a Guy” by June Christy With the Kentones from the CD: June Time, recorded with the Stan Kenton Orchestra in 1945-47, when she was 20-22-years-old

13. “Swingin Till the Girls Come Home” the Oscar Pettiford composition performed by Oscar Peterson from the collection: The Will to Swing, from a Carnegie Hall Concert recorded in 1953, with Herb Ellis on Guitar & Ray Brown on Bass.

14. “Do Something” by Jackie Ryan from her recording: Doozy, featuring Cyrus Chestnut on Piano and Eric Alexander on Sax

Pages: 1 0 replies