Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Temple architect meets the Big Builder in the Sky

Pages: 1 4 replies

Eldon Davis, the right hand in the team of Armet & Davis, has passed on. He was best known for his "Googie" coffee shops, but Armet & Davis also designed some of Stephen Crane's Kon Tikis, Marriot's Kona Kai in Philadelphia and Chicago, and the Polynesian Village apartments in Playa Del Rey. I am glad to have met the man, and happy to know that he saw his work appreciated as art in his lifetime. Alan Hess' "Googie" book was an inspiration to a whole generation of urban archaeologists and preservationists that will see to it that Eldon Davis' work will not be forgotten.

http://www.latimes.com/

Eldon, his wife, and Alan Hess, at his 90th birthday at Pann's

Armet & Davis' designs provided some of the most enigmatic images to inspire the Tiki Revival.
In memory of a great Tiki Temple builder:

It is inconceivable to me that no one has done an Armet & Davis book yet. Yes, Alan Hess covered the Coffee shops, and my books the Tiki temples, but there is so much more great visual material, it all deserves to be united in one great big volume.

Sorry to hear this, very thankful for what he gave us all.

Chris
WestADad

T

aw. that's sad news.

hey, at least he had a long, prosperous life.

and because of guys like you, sven, lots of recognition for his great art!

happy trails, eldon!

Love his work. A big book would be great. Bigbro I think you could write a great Forward to it. The publishers would probably want some one closer to him professionally but i think it's better to go a little farther outside the business to get real perspective and vision with something like this.

Pages: 1 4 replies