Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI TI 50th Anniversary! - Photos and Fun

Pages: 1 37 replies

This momentous occasion should not be all about that damn mug! It deserves its own thread, please post all photos and Tiki Ti accolades HERE.

This tiny bar was an important place of germination for me and Jeff Berry and lots of other people before we really "knew" Tiki!
I feel very gratified that I was able to contribute to this important event by designing their first Tiki mug, thus having things come full circle for me.

Thank you for everyone who came, from the farthest reaches of O.C. and the Valley to even San Francisco and Sacramento. See you again tomorrow same time, same place. And Thank You, everyone, for the kind words about the mug, too. :D

Here's some photos from Wednesday (4/27/2011) starting around 3:15-ish...

J

I'm glad someone got a snapshot of this guy... :)

In the 1930's when all of the Tropical cocktail classics were being invented, he was considered "The Man behind the Man" (or in those days one of "the boys").

He may have actually have been THE MAN !!

Thank you Ray Buhen !!!

And to Mike Sr., Mike Jr., and Mark for keeping the Tiki torch burning since 1961.

Quite a shock to see Dr. Shocker drinking in broad daylight. I miss SoCal!

CJ

ouch

T

Brilliant photos as always, Tom! I only wish we could've stayed longer. What an honor it was to be there to help kick off the anniversary. I'm raisin' my mug to toast another 50 years...see you in 2061!

And here's a close up of the Golden Anniversary swizzle stick! Ooooh, aaaaah! :)

no I didn't really drink all of those drinks,
I only had 2,
but I didn't do the Ray's mistakes,
I had a Zombie,and a 151 swizzle, and they kicked my ass.
going back for round 2 today.

Good times,
Good Drinks,
and Good People,
here is to many more Years for the Tiki Ti and the Buhen family.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-04-28 11:03 ]

Had a wonderful time at the Ti yesterday.

It was everything our tiki thing should be, IMO .....Celebrating one of the last remaining icons of Polynesian Pop - The Buhen legacy.

Everyone was in a great mood, enjoying the cocktails, and getting their hands on that great mug....a long overdue thing for the Tiki Ti.

Great job on the mug design, Sven...another home run.

Congrats to the Buhen's for 50 years and 3 generations of greatness.

also note! Beachbum Berry will be in attendance tonight! I can't wait to shake that guy's hand!

BS

Cant wait for my girlfriend to get off work at 5 so we can head up! it'll be her first time. and i'll be taking photos too!

T

Forgot to post this pic of my wife's raffle winnings during Wednesday's festivities....

Now I just need to get a car worthy of one of these frames (yes, she said she'd share).

TM

JB

Y

That TORO pouring pic is awesome!

R
Rawim posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2011 8:20 AM

I had a great time there yesterday even if it was only for an hour.

Highlight might have been Jeff Berry cutting in line in front of me so he could get to the "VIP" section.

Last night was an absolute blast!

Thank you to the Buhen family for their hospitality, for all the regulars who worked hard last night, for all the patrons over the years... the Tiki Ti is something really special and I'm glad I can say I was there to celebrate the 50th anniversary!

From my phone...
I was excited to see familiar faces in line!

King Kukulele

Some of my loot!

And some snaps from my camera

The man who started it all :)

Me with Holden, Crazy Al, and Anders

Still a solid line

Mahalo to everyone at the Ti last night :) That was one for the record books!

CJ

JB

looks fun a s always..
I gots to get me one them Tiki Tis license plate frames from my tiki themed VW bus- How do you do it?

Anyone? I'm hoping I can get one through the tiki-ti site time will tell.

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2011-05-04 14:36 ]

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2011-05-04 14:39 ]

C

Looks like fun...sorry to have missed the anniversary celebration. Due to work load and a previous obligation, I couldn't get there until about 7:45pm, and after being in the line that didn't move for 30 min., and operating on 3 hours sleep with work again today, I headed home.

Today is the first day I might have a chance to be there around 5 or 6, but I'm sure I'm a day late and a dollar short. Is anybody from TC going to be there tonight, around 4-7, or later? I know the mugs are gone, at this point I'm just hoping for a sizzle stick.

Caltiki Brent

Great photos hulahoney, thank you!

Congawa, they should have 50 mugs per day unless they decided to blow them all out yesterday.

DZ

On 2011-04-29 11:13, Tonga Tom wrote:
Great photos hulahoney, thank you!

Congawa, they should have 50 mugs per day unless they decided to blow them all out yesterday.

Yes, great pix Hulahoney!!

Quote from Tiki Ti on FB last night: "Tiki Ti is simultaneously happy that tonight's crowd bought the remaining supply of mugs, and sad that we will have to wait for three weeks for more. Seriously."

Looks like you're gonna hafta wait a spell...

Yeah, they decided to blow them all out last night instead of waiting...I can tell, my signing hand hurts! Wow what a blast! EVERYONE was there last night - at one point, once they made it in!

After being there the second day from 4:00 pm on, I hit a wall around 9:00 pm. Enjoying so much accolades and good company, and lots of vessels full of frothy goodness...

...things began to look a little fuzzy...

..even though I was being held up by such upstanding Tiki Ti citizens as Beachbum Berry and Martin Cate!:

(..with back up by Sabu)

But it sure was satisfying to sit with Jeff Berry under our name tag dated 10 years ago, and muse about how we never would have guessed that his research here would inspire a new wave of mixologists all over the world, and that I would drink out of a Tiki Ti logo mug I designed!
Thank you Tiki Ti for being there!

I have all the videos from my camera posted on Youtube...

Check them out at Tiki Ti 50th Anniversary

Enjoy!

Looks like great fun and we arent jealous at all!,Cant wait to come over again for a california tiki vacation later in the year

TT

On 2011-04-29 11:19, Doctor Z wrote:

Quote from Tiki Ti on FB last night: "Tiki Ti is simultaneously happy that tonight's crowd bought the remaining supply of mugs, and sad that we will have to wait for three weeks for more. Seriously."

Looks like you're gonna hafta wait a spell...

WOW! I'm so glad I made it on Wednesday, but it ooks like last night was a total blast!
That's $7,000 worth of mugs in two days!!!

Thank You for the shout-out, Mr. Nichols!:

http://www.lamag.com/askchrisblog/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10232136

Here is one occasion where a flash actually yielded better results than non-flash photography, the photo that Cass took of Adrian (Polynesian Pop) posing with the "V.I.P." corner gang!:

Would you look at those shirt colors! If that photo doesn't spell "Happiness is being at the Tiki Ti" I don't know what does! :)

C

It truely was a great event yesterday.

I even had fun waiting in line, chatting it up with everyone.

I just wish TikiSkaBro and I could have hung out a little longer.

Thanks for sharing all the great photos.

Here are three photos from April 28th. What a great time. More mugs should be "incoming" next week.

Just dropped in at the Ti: Aaaaaah, all's back to normal again!

Here is one of my favorite pictures from last week:

The Tiki Ti receiving an official certificate of congratulations from the city of L.A. !

They even included the logo Tiki in it :)

C
Chippy posted on Sun, May 8, 2011 8:23 PM

I am glad to see the city coucil is finally doing something I can agree with.

I hope the Mayor claims all those free drinks on his expense account.

A few more photos from the 50th Bash on the 28th.

T

We were at Tiki Ti last Friday night and Mike Sr. gave us copies of the Los Feliz & Silver Lake Community Guide featuring a cover story on Tiki Ti's 50th anniversary.

There's some great photos, and a very informative article on Ray Buhen (Mike Sr. said it was very good!), the family and the history of the bar... very cool, found out some interesting facts I didn't know!

You can pick up copies at Los Feliz & Silver Lake shops and restaurants. (There's some coupons for great area restaurants too!)

J

Ha, ha. The editor is a Tiki-Ti regular. I remember sitting next to him one day.

He asks "Did you go to Marshall High ?? You look familiar."

AF

Seeing this topic today reminded me that I hadn't posted these photos yet. Better late than never I guess. What a fun and memorable night!

Not the regular Thursday night crowd

Signing the guest book

Victor & Dave w/ Mike

Holden and Mike

Great patterns & colors

Gil & Anna

Soccer waiting for his turn at the menu

John-O just about done with a Jim's Special

Charlie with 50th Anniversary mug

Rasta Jim

"That's Five dollars"

Rare times call for even rarer rum (a gift from Cass)

The King played all night long

All smiles in the power corner

Dr. Z's Raffle winnings

Crazy Al's new lamp hat

Mark during a short break

Sabu defined "Sucking 'em up"!

JonPaul & Marie

Vicky & Mike

Some of the crowd

Lots of people to thank

Cake and bubbly too. Great times for sure!

A lot of classic TC veterans showed up.
Sorry to have missed it.

Pages: 1 37 replies