Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Faux Fruit Garnish For Decorating Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 3 replies

I would like to display some of my more prized tiki mugs a little differently and had the idea to dress them up with some cleverly arranged faux fruit as a garnish on the rim of the mug. Neat, huh?

I found multiple places online to buy pineapple chunks, orange slices, and countless just-picked-from-the-tree cherries. I liked nearly everything I saw except the cherries. As I said, they are of the natural, tree grown variety, NOT the processed, glossy red Maraschino kind used in baking and cocktail garnishes.

Has anyone here had a similar idea and, if so, where did you/can I find faux Maraschino cherries to decorate my more collectible tiki mugs?

Check Michael's or Hobby Lobby to see if they have some plastic beads that would work for faux cherries

Since this IS the "Other Crafts" forum, you could get ambitious and make some out of red and transluscent Sculpty polymer clay

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-04-28 16:08 ]

Try googling for terms like faux food/fake food/display food/replica food, and you get links to companies like these;

http://www.displayfakefoods.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?keyword=cherries&pageStyle=H&resultCnt=10&x=0&y=0

http://www.fake-foods.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=F&Product_Code=F122-08&Category_Code=FRU001

a lot of the companies don't have the cherries specifically, but have the cherries on certain items they produce, so.. I'm sure you could contact them and inquire about just cherries. Worth a try.

Bear

W

"Since this IS the "Other Crafts" forum, you could get ambitious and make some..."

Or just experiment with the real things. Do they ever actually mold or dry out? Seems unlikely.

Also a small translucent red rubber ball would do the trick and it would taste just like a real maraschino cherry.

Pages: 1 3 replies