Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The S.S. Redwood: Mobile Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 8 replies

This is a project I've been working on for a while that debuted at Mojave Oasis. The idea was to create a mobile Tiki bar for beach parties, Tiki gatherings, etc. As this is my first attempt at carpentry it's a bit rough and still in progress, but I think it came together fairly well.

Rough cut redwood planks for the deck, wheelbarrow carriage/cooler behind:

Stained planks (used one coat of stain and wiped off excess with paper towels for subtler color):

Finished planks secured and lacquered (bottom of deck, the perpendicular pieces fit snugly inside the wheelbarrow and keep the deck from shifting around):

Lacquered deck with hatch installed (Wink by Scootiki in background):

The S.S.Redwood assembled at Mojave Oasis (9 foot diameter palapa umbrella, grass skirts to cover wheelbarrow, hula girl):

...with some furniture by Eric the Red:

Beneath the palapa at the helm (where the bartender sits), hatch to access cooler (rum, limes) in foreground, accoutrements in rigging (more to come in that respect):

The Redwood in action and me mixing grog:

The next step is to finish decorating the deck (rope banister?), making bamboo stools that fold up and hang from the sides of the deck, lining he inside of the wheelbarrow to insulate and hold ice better, and maybe replacing the grass skirt with some nicer palapa.

-Redwood Tiki

Brilliant! Great job on the portable bar. My only concern would be tipsy imbibers fumbling the drinks on the slope of the deck, it'd be a shame to waste rum that way. Still, it's a truly inspired creation. Congratulations.

Bear

Thanks Brudda Bear! It's a pretty simple concept that seemed like it would be fun, I like the idea of mobile shade and rum. I've thought about leveling it, it would only take an inch or so block under the back legs, but even tall tiki mugs are pretty stable. The other thought was to make "drink preservers", coasters with rims that would hold mugs securely and, by expanding their base so much, essentially make them impossible to knock over.

[ Edited by: redwood tiki 2011-04-29 19:06 ]

2 shaka shakes for sure on this bar!!!

Thanks Ben! That really is encouraging coming from you. It's nothing compared to your work.

I can think of a thousand places this bar could go. It's a nomadic tiki vessel

Yes sir, that's the idea. The key to mobility lies in the two wheel wheelbarrow. Even with a 9 foot palapa umbrella up the SS Redwood is very stable and cruises like a champ.

S

Great job Redwood TiKi......soon everyone will have one!

Haha, thanks Scootiki! It would be cool to see what all the amazing artists around here would come up with.

Pages: 1 8 replies