Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

old Oceanside restaurant with boat theme

Pages: 1 2 replies

M

I moved to San Diego County last year, after living in Orange County and Los Angeles County for the past four years, and on the east coast before then. I grew up in San Diego County, so I've begun exploring the area again to see what places still exist from decades ago when I lived in this county before. This week while passing through Oceanside, I noticed The Flying Bridge Coffee Shop and did some research on it when I got back, since it's obviously midcentury. I saw that somebody posted this thread in 2007...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23958&forum=6&start=last

...saying that the restaurant is slated for demolition for a future Hyatt, but obviously the restaurant is still there.

I remember a restaurant in Oceanside in that same area that my family visited somewhere around 1969, I believe. It had a strong ship theme, I believe with a large wooden boat out in front, or maybe masts atop the restaurant. Now here is the question for which I made this post... Does anybody know which restaurant I'm thinking of, and if so, was it the Flying Bridge Coffee Shop?

By the way, the address of this current place is:

The Flying Bridge
1105 North Coast Highway
Oceanside, CA 92054
760-722-0081

The online reviews for this place are really bad (1/5 points, 2/5 points, etc.), but I have a thing for midcentury places, so I'll probably stop in there in May and take lots of photos for posterity, even if it's not the same place I remember.

M

That's it! Thanks so much! I recognized that big mast in front right away. Great research in the posted thread, too, though it saddens me to see it in its declined modern state.

Pages: 1 2 replies