Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The ShookUps!

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

TM

This is a brand new band featuring our own Dartin Menny on upright bass and Tiki Bong on steel Guitar!

http://www.myspace.com/theshookupsrock

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-01 11:40 ]

Great name!

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 1, 2011 1:30 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-05-01 13:30 ]

TM

What, Grog?

TM

That's Tiki Bong (Kevin Bullat) on the left, and Dartin Menny (Kevin Stewart) on the right!

I have already been following these guys, and they sound fantastic! Totally state-of-the-art rockabilly and Western Swing!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-01 18:13 ]

can't wait to see these guys.

Jeff(btd)

Great sound there!
It's a pretty unique band you got there. It's fun to hear those bands today who are treating the groove and sounds of rockabilly respectfully.
I think these musicians have the right feeling for rockabilly!

Thanks!

Dang Lucas! Thanks! hahaha Never thought we'd make it onto TikiCentral and survive. hehe

It's nice to see some appreciation and support on here! Cheers everyone.

Hope some of yous can make the show tonite.... road trip anyone???

TM

Disclaimer: I am NOT in this band! I am just posting it for the two friends I have who are in the group....

But yes, I totally agree. A lot of rockabilly bands to me seem really fixated on more of the image and the "corny" aspect of the genre...especially with all the psychobilly bands out there...little more then punk rock with an upright bass and sideburns!

These guys in the shookups seem to be really giving the music the loving treatment it deserves...and one big draw for me is that the bass player, Kevin Stewart is considered to be one of (if not the best) rockabilly/roots bassists in the world. You may know him from the Brian Jay band, but he also has played with Big Sandy and the flyright boys, touring with them in Europe and Japan, as well as being the bassist for the phenomenal gypsy jazz/exotica/hawaiian band "exotiki". In his spare time, he is also a black belt in the art of brazilian Jiu Jitsu..... :)

Kevin Bullat (tiki bong)has been a long time fixture in the local scene, playing with a classic 80's rockabilly band, the Torn 50's, and is currently a member of the Hula Girls band, and also a former member of the now-defunct Smokin' Menehunes. In his spare time, he is a male gigolo (but not a very good one :) )

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2011-05-02 09:46 ]

TM

On 2011-05-02 09:34, Dartin Menny wrote:
Dang Lucas! Thanks! hahaha Never thought we'd make it onto TikiCentral and survive. hehe

It's nice to see some appreciation and support on here! Cheers everyone.

Hope some of yous can make the show tonite.... road trip anyone???

Not me! But post the fullerton gig you have coming out, amigo!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-02 09:37 ]

• lucas vigor wrote:*
    ]

Not me! But post the fullerton gig you have coming out, amigo!

Will do!

BB

hey

On 2011-05-02 09:36, lucas vigor wrote:
Disclaimer: I am NOT in this band! I am just posting it for the two friends I have who are in the group....

But yes, I totally agree. A lot of rockabilly bands to me seem really fixated on more of the image and the "corny" aspect of the genre...especially with all the psychobilly bands out there...little more then punk rock with an upright bass and sideburns!

These guys in the shookups seem to be really giving the music the loving treatment it deserves...and one big draw for me is that the bass player, Kevin Stewart is considered to be one of (if not the best) rockabilly/roots bassists in the world. You may know him from the Brian Jay band, but he also has played with Big Sandy and the flyright boys, touring with them in Europe and Japan, as well as being the bassist for the phenomenal gypsy jazz/exotica/hawaiian band "exotiki". In his spare time, he is also a black belt in the art of brazilian Jiu Jitsu..... :)

Kevin Bullat (tiki bong)has been a long time fixture in the local scene, playing with a classic 80's rockabilly band, the Torn 50's, and is currently a member of the Hula Girls band, and also a former member of the now-defunct Smokin' Menehunes. In his spare time, he is a male gigolo (but not a very good one :) )

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2011-05-02 09:46 ]

I understood you weren't in the band but thanks you brought us their site for us!

I totally see your point with the image-rockabilly bands. But I don't think it's especially becuase of the psychobilly genre. Those who've been first introduced to the modern psychobilly genre perhaps would agree. Of course, image has been a big part of the early psychobilly as well but it didn't take focus for how talented the musicians really were. But I think we agree that the psychobilly scene today especially is much about image and less about the roots of rockabilly with just that perfect dose of punk.

Kevin Stewart, did he also play with Wanda Jackson? I think I met this guy if he played with Big Sandy in November '08 at one of their shows. I think this was in a small town called Santa Cruz (1-2 hour drive from San Fransisco right?). I'm no good at names and remebering faces but I think he really looked like the guy at the flyer.

Thanks for sharing this interesting knowledge!

Haha!! By the way, I just thinked of it maybe looks a bit weird speaking about Kevin Stuart when he's here.

So, Kevin!! Did you play with Big Sandy November 08' in Santa Cruz? :)

Thanks for great music!

On 2011-05-02 13:28, always on the beach wrote:
Haha!! By the way, I just thinked of it maybe looks a bit weird speaking about Kevin Stuart when he's here.

So, Kevin!! Did you play with Big Sandy November 08' in Santa Cruz? :)

Thanks for great music!

hahaha! Yup I'm here.

Yeah, that was me! hehe Can't remember the name of the place though. I filled in for Jeff West for about a year when he was out for surgery on his arm. Also, I did play with Wanda Jackson some years back. Miss her. Sweetest lady. :)

Thanks for the nice words about The Shookups! Really appreciate it!

Hey Kevin! I went trough some old pictures from my trip to the states and found this.

Hey, cool! That's me! hahahaha Thanks for sharing that!

It's so crazy that was almost 3 years ago now....

Crap, I need to look at this music section more often! Wish I would have gone to the show!

How did it go? When are you playing in SD next?

• Tiki Shaker wrote:*
    Crap, I need to look at this music section more often! Wish I would have gone to the show!

How did it go? When are you playing in SD next?

It went very well! The locals of Leucadia LOVE the Shookups! haha We had them dancing all night! Pretty sure we'll be back there for the Monday night dance night there.

Jeff Ross (also from Exotiki) and I will be playing Hot Jazz (think Django Reinhardt) TONIGHT in San Diego at a place called Prohibition. It seems like a very cool, swanky place. Not too tiki (well, not tiki at all).... but.... very dark and vibey nontheless.

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2011-05-04 07:43 ]

TM

Ha ha! I heard the locals were actually line dancing to your music!

• lucas vigor wrote:*
    Ha ha! I heard the locals were actually line dancing to your music!

hahaha! Nope..... They were line dancing between our sets. During our songs they were dancin' real proper.

Well...

I know we aren't a 'tiki' band per-say.... but The Shookups will be playing Bar Leucadian again June 13th and Bigs Grill in Fullerton on June 15th. Just wanted to throw it out there....

I'll post flyers with details if there's any excitement on here.

I'll check out the 15th show.

Jeff(btd)

Cool! See you two at Big's!

Tonight!

what time?

Jeff(btd)

Ripped off the wall of Facebook.

Thanks for rippin' that King!

Jeff, we plan to go on around 9:30-10pm... We will be playing 2 sets as well.

Cheers

sorry I didn't make it, heard you guys were awesome.
I got home from work late, and was just plum outta steam.
please keep us updated on any other shows.

Jeff(btd)

No worries mang. We know how it is....

The Shookups will be at Weber's (in the Reseda Valley area) one week from today.... June 24th! We should be starting around 9:30pm...

Thanks to those who did show up at Big's! We had a blast!

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2011-06-17 10:55 ]

Word on the street is....... The Shookups may be swingin' out on Don The Beachcomber's hardwood floors SOON! Get your dancing shoes ready.....

well I'm ready to be shooked up!

Awesome!

TM

I am there!

So what's shaking?

This is shakin'......next Thursday, August 25th!

[ Edited by: Dartin Menny 2011-08-16 07:36 ]

TM

I just had the priviledge of listening to the new shook-ups 45 (which actually has 4 songs)...it's AMAZING! Kevin "tiki bong" bullat and Kevin "dartin menny" have really outdone themselves. The recording sounds like something from an earlier time. They even recorded it in quasi-mono (everything mono except the reverb)...bravo guys! Best rockabilly I have heard in a long time! This 45 is a must have!

when dey playin' again?

was bummed to miss the last few shows posted about here.

Jeff(btd)

They will be at Viva Las Vegas in April 2012

TM

And, one of their songs will be appearing on the Viva Las Vegas compilation soundtrack!

Closer as far as time and space goes, they will be at Big's Grill in Fullerton, CA on Wed Mar 7, 2012.

thanks guys

Sorry BTD, been crazy busy and forgot to check in here. Obviously you missed this past Wednesday (because we didn't see you), but we will be at Viva Las Vegas this year as mentioned above. If any more local gigs pop up, I'll be sure to post them here.

Thanks Lucas for the review! Glad you enjoyed it!!!

cheers

When can we see you at Don's again?

sorry man,
weeknight shows are tough for me.

Jeff(btd)

Atomic Tiki Punk - That's a really good question. I can honestly say we won't be back there until after we return from Europe in June. I had really hoped to play there more.

BTD - I completely understand.

TM

The shookups had a great show in front of a very large crowd at Viva las vegas...here is a sample!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbA52rZe-2c&sns=em

(might want to turn your PC volume down for this one!)

thanks for posting Lucas,
wish it was longer video.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 47 replies