Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Ding Dong Devils - 5/29 - Forbidden Island's 4th Annual Luau

Pages: 1 20 replies

C

The Ding Dong Devils are excited to be playing at Forbidden Island's 4th Annual Luau on Sunday, May 29th (Memorial Day weekend)! We're going on at 7pm, and playing several sets.

The luau kicks off at 2pm. During the daytime, there will be a pig roast, a live tiki carver, Hawaiian music from the Faux Hawaiians, hula dancing by Tahiti Nui Dance Troupe, ukulele jam session/clinic by Tiki King, lei making by Aileen Camello, a drink demonstration by FI mixologist Suzanne Long and tunes from DJ Fitz.

Then at dusk, live fire dancing by Fire Pixie! Then at 7pm, the Ding Dong Devils will be making their NorCal debut, playing our instrumentals and vocal numbers which celebrate the "tiki" lifestyle and extoll the virtues of classic and tropical cocktails (such as those served at Forbidden Island), with our songs such as "Ballad of a Taboo Image," "Sufferin' Bastard," "Theme from 'The Belly Dancers of Bali Bali'," "Jungle Doctor," "(You Got Me) Stuck Like a Luau Pig" and "Head Shrinker." Hear some samples here: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dingdongdevils

"The humor, lyrics and melodies of this eclectic troupe of fez-topped vaudevillians is positively contagious and truly provides the perfect sonic backdrop for any Tiki situation." -- Tiki Magazine, Spring 2011

Sunday, May 29, 2011
Forbidden Island
1304 Lincoln Ave
Alameda, CA
$5 at the door
Luau starts at 2pm (until 11pm)
The Ding Dong Devils go on at 7pm

Here's a link to the official Forbidden Island Facebook event page:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=105416456212772

We're looking forward to hanging with NorCal TC'ers! And hopefully, since this is a three-day weekend, this will be a great excuse for a road trip for TC'ers from SoCal and elsewhere!

http://www.facebook.com/dingdongdevils

[ Edited by: congawa 2011-05-04 11:24 ]

[ Edited by: congawa 2011-05-05 09:36 ]

TM

Awesome! Have a good trip, and an even better gig!

Brent,

I was thinking about going to this, when you told me about it.
But sadly I don't think I will be able to make it now.

Have a safe trip, and a Great show.

Jeff(btd)

C

Thanks Lucas--it will be a very fun event!

Caltiki Brent

Forbidden Island's 4th Annual Luau. We're going all out this time. This will be the biggest and best Luau yet. Hope you can join us...

A

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately our de-facto babysitters are out of town then, so it's pretty unlikely for us. Just 19 more years until we can start bringing the kids to FI! Mike, please mark us down for the 23rd annual luau coming up in 2030.

Brent, that would've been fun to see you guys up here in norcal. I might see if I can make it "stag". If so, I'll be standing there requesting Spinout and Resatch-A-Go-Go!

-Randy

C

Thanks Randy--it would be great to see you again--hopefully things might work out for you to get over to FI! We don't do those Del Noah & the Mt. Ararat Finks songs in the Ding Dong Devils, but we may do a Del Noah song, rearranged for our style--"The Lonely Bultaco."

Caltiki Brent

C

Now that Tiki Caliente 3 has ended, it's time for me to look forward to the second of my back-to-back Tiki weekends! Forbidden Island's Luau is less that a week away!

Caltiki Brent

[ Edited by: congawa 2011-05-23 09:51 ]

C

Bumping this forward one last time because we're headed north tomorrow -- Forbidden Island here we come!

Have a good trip Brent, Rock the place and see some sites.

Save Travels Brent,
have a great show!

Jeff(btd)

C

Thanks Jeff!

By the way, here's Rama Lama's flyer:

Caltiki Brent

Be safe traveling and have a great time!

Madame Pamita could make a surprise appearance...

WHOO!

C

Man, the Forbidden Island Luau went off--what a blast! A great crowd all day (from what I heard it was the biggest attended event they'd had to date)--excellent food (mmm, the roasted pig was tender and delicious!), drink (of course, and Suzanne's drink demo), Faux Hawaiians, Tiki King, hula dancers, leis. Fire Pixie went on at dusk between our two sets and wowed everybody! The Ding Dong Devils had a bunch of NorCal non-tiki friends come down who hadn't been to FI before (including Puka von Pele's sister, who'd never seen her play live) who it was great to see. Christopher also shot a video Saturday which will be on the FI website. Just an incredible weekend!

Caltiki

Sounds Great,
lets see some pics of video.

Jeff(btd)

C

BTD, your request has been answered!

Here's the Ding Dong Devils doing "Theme from 'The Belly Dancers of Bali Bali'" at Forbidden Island, just completed by Christopher Sorrenti (and he'll probably have 2 or 3 more forthcoming):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9Bi1jHWyA&feature=youtu.be

Several hundred people descended on our little slice of Paradise to experience our biggest and best Luau to date: entertainment all day long, pig roast, hula troupe, fire-dancing, live Tiki carving, fresh Leis and the awesome So Cal band, Ding Dong Devils. Thanks to all who attended and who made this terrific event possible. This has certainly set a new precedent for Forbidden Island events! Alooooha!

The complete photo album can be viewed on our fb page:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150210026205003.322124.66526350002&closeTheater=1

Here's some of my fave pics:

The by-now customary "Forbidden Island event line" down the block

Suzanne and Molokai Mike officially open the 4th Annual Luau

Fresh Leis were on sale on our patio by "Aloha Leis"

The bar remained packed from 2 till 11pm!

The beautiful Szandora was in attendance

Pig Roast by Chop Bar, Oakland

The Tahiti Nui Dance Troupe were amazing!

Live Tiki carving by Modesto's "Mighty Mick"

Drink demonstration by Suzanne, sponsored by Mount Gay

The fabulous Ding Dong Devils take the stage

Sunset! Time for some fire-dancing by Fire Pixie

Mahalo and Aloha!

See ya all at the next big event, FI's 2nd Annual Surf Fest, August 6th

[ Edited by: Molokai Mike 2011-06-06 10:44 ]

Very Cool,
and congrats on a Huge Turnout.
Wish I could have been there.

Jeff(btd)

It was phenomenal! And the crew was absolutely amazing - watching Suzanne, it was like a ballet behind the bar, non-stop drink making, really, non-stop and no wasted movements! Thanks for a wonderful experience!

Aloha!

PS-And the Ding Dong Devils were "out of sight man!"

[ Edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2011-06-06 17:23 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies