Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Has anyone noticed that Trader Vic's LA Live is not as popular as the YardHouse?

Pages: 1 29 replies

I have, and it really bothers me that owners of the YardHouse are realizing huge profits, while Trader Vics, with its much nicer interior, more unique cuisine and more interesting wait staff uniforms only enjoys about 50% of the amount of business the YardHouse.

The YardHouse is enjoyable, I've been there, too, but I don't see why so many would prefer it.
Is it because it is a better known chain?
Maybe because the prices are cheaper?
Maybe because it is less intimidating as it is big room, with virtually no decor other than TVs?

I don't understand.

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, May 6, 2011 6:47 AM

Well I think the Yardhouse has about 100 different beers on tap, so I guess that would be 100 reasons right there :)...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-05-06 06:53 ]

A

On 2011-05-06 05:38, christiki295 wrote:
Maybe because it is less intimidating as it is big room, with virtually no decor other than TVs?

I'd say yes, yes and yes.

H

The Yardhouse also has a better location than Trader Vic's. Nobody strolling through LA Live will easily miss seeing the Yardhouse, while TV's is on the "outside" with much less foot traffic passing by.

Exactly...and I believe we have discussed the fact that the general public seems to prefer generic corporateness before exotic theme decor at length here. A thread with the above header is kinda redundant, and really not productive in terms of supporting Trader Vic's.

On 2011-05-06 09:10, Hakalugi wrote:
The Yardhouse also has a better location than Trader Vic's. Nobody strolling through LA Live will easily miss seeing the Yardhouse, while TV's is on the "outside" with much less foot traffic passing by.

Possibly, but TV also has a nice al-fresco presence by the exterior patio, and good "width" along Olympic Bl.

On 2011-05-06 08:48, arriano wrote:

On 2011-05-06 05:38, christiki295 wrote:

I'd say yes, yes and yes.

Maybe TVs should become a USC hangout, and offer half-price beer after 10 p.m.?

Like anything in Life,
you get what you pay for,
you want beer, you buy beer,

you want to buy a good tropical drink,
go to where they have them and spend a few bucks more.

The General Public is mainly cheap.

Jeff(btd)

Well, I'm out here in the Midwest, so what do I know but when you say "more popular" likely you mean "more people there"? Mixed drinks provide more profit than beer per sale. So it would be possible for the TV to be more profitable than the Yardhouse.

How busy do you want your favorite tiki bar to be? Busy enough to stay open for sure. I like a place that has enough people in it to seem desirable, but not so many as to be difficult to get my favorite bar stool. Oh, and I want the other guests to be like me. (This is not too much to ask, is it?)

J
JOHN-O posted on Sat, May 7, 2011 8:18 AM

On 2011-05-07 05:31, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Well, I'm out here in the Midwest,

...and I want the other guests to be like me. (This is not too much to ask, is it?)

HEY, we welcome people of all ethnic diversities in our Tiki bars out here in California, Bongo Bungalow !!

:D :D :D :D :D

On 2011-05-07 08:18, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2011-05-07 05:31, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Well, I'm out here in the Midwest,

...and I want the other guests to be like me. (This is not too much to ask, is it?)

HEY, we welcome people of all ethnic diversities in our Tiki bars out here in California, Bongo Bungalow !!

:D :D :D :D :D

And, Trader Vic's exemplifies John-O's thoughts, as for Cinco de Mayo, they had Maricahis (for free)!

Behind the bar, an Asian beauty and a Latina beauty, both wearing a Hawaiian top, and a sombrero. Waiting on the tables, a Blonde amazon. And, trying on a new uniform, a Nubian princess.

Well, a Nubian princess trying on clothing is certainly not "like me"... Oh, and uh, do you have photos?

We visited the LA TV in Jan., and while it was easily accessible by car, which is the preferred method of transport in LA, parking was a bit ambiguous in that area. Foot traffic in LA is a factor in a very limited number of areas, and that is certainly not one of them.

On 2011-05-07 16:55, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Foot traffic in LA is a factor in a very limited number of areas, and that is certainly not one of them.

Everybody knows that NOBODY walks in LA

Bear

B

McDonalds and Burger King are more popular than our local Hamburger Habit or Burger Barn but there is a difference. Quality over cost. I would rather pay a couple of bucks more for something better....food or drink. Never been to the Yardhouse and no plans for them in the future. But we do need a trip to Trader Vic's!

On 2011-05-07 18:17, bongofury wrote:
McDonalds and Burger King are more popular than our local Hamburger Habit or Burger Barn but there is a difference. Quality over cost. I would rather pay a couple of bucks more for something better....food or drink. Never been to the Yardhouse and no plans for them in the future. But we do need a trip to Trader Vic's!

Quality over cost, true, but I wish TV could receive some of the revenue being spent next door as they have to pay rent and salaries, too.

Also, it just seems a shame for so many to choose corporate blandness over Trader Vics, but one can't merely wish the world were different.

O

You all have it wrong in my not so humble opinion. The real reason that the Yardhouse doesn't fluster the kids like Trader Vic's does. Bunch of Wimps!

Honestly when I heard they were moving Trader Vic's to the Nokia LIVE, I felt it was a wrong location for this place. When it was in Beverly Hills at least it was fitting for such a classy meal and ambiance. Now when I go it's usually a bunch of a douchebags at the bar being completely rude to all the other patrons. I still go when I can, but I really hope for the best in their survival down there. They are an important piece of LA Tiki History!

On 2011-05-09 14:54, carlosrossi wrote:
Honestly when I heard they were moving Trader Vic's to the Nokia LIVE, I felt it was a wrong location for this place. When it was in Beverly Hills at least it was fitting for such a classy meal and ambiance. Now when I go it's usually a bunch of a douchebags at the bar being completely rude to all the other patrons. I still go when I can, but I really hope for the best in their survival down there. They are an important piece of LA Tiki History!

Funny, you mention that as the Beverly Hills location was always mobbed.

On 2011-05-07 18:04, Brudda Bear wrote:

Everybody knows that NOBODY walks in LA

nobody walks in a lei

I don't know if this is a bad thing or a good thing:

Over at Trader Vic's in downtown's L.A. Live on Tuesday — when the Lakers would have played Game 5 against the Dallas Mavericks at neighboring Staples Center — just nine people were seated in the lounge of the tropical-themed restaurant, and a party of 10 was finishing up in the back dining room. Typically, there's at least a two-hour wait for a table on game nights, owner John Valencia said.

"As a fan, I'm extremely disappointed, but as an owner, it's pretty devastating for business," he said. "We're event-driven, and when you have a Laker game on standby and it doesn't happen, it's very difficult to backfill."

On 2011-05-11 21:16, christiki295 wrote:
"As a fan, I'm extremely disappointed, but as an owner, it's pretty devastating for business," he said. "We're event-driven, and when you have a Laker game on standby and it doesn't happen, it's very difficult to backfill."

Funny, that quote appeared in the LA Times this morning in an article on the loss of business due to the Lakers exit from the playoffs.

Well, you know what they say: Any press is good press.

I stopped by Trader Vic's last week early before a Laker game. The drinks were good. The place was quiet but gearing up for the mad rush at 6:00. It's too bad they did not get an inside presence in the center.

DC

On 2011-05-12 08:10, Dustycajun wrote:

It's too bad they did not get an inside presence in the center.

DC

Actually I like seeing TikiDiablo's giant Tikis whenever I drive by!

That's very nice. Then why do you feel the need to resurrect a thread that touts the "lack of popularity" of this Tiki bar all over the internet? I know it was not your intention, but this is what comes through primarily by the way it is titled. I trust your concern is genuine, but I flinch each time I see this headline pop up again.

On 2011-05-16 14:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
That's very nice. Then why do you feel the need to resurrect a thread that touts the "lack of popularity" of this Tiki bar all over the internet? I know it was not your intention, but this is what comes through primarily by the way it is titled. I trust your concern is genuine, but I flinch each time I see this headline pop up again.

LOL, BigBro, and I thought I was worried!
Hopefully, the Gods will be amused, and my concern will spread positive karhma to help those make the correct choice.

That and I am chastened by so many Tiki meccas which I have been to, which are no longer here:
Taboo Cove/Venus in Vegas, Hawaiian Hut in Honolulu, Hukilau in Sacramento, Wan-Q in LA, Drift in Scottsdale, etc., that I am alarmed when I now sense that a large investment is having issues, particularly compared to the bland corporate chain next door.

Maybe the bottom line is that 20 - 30 somethings want more drinks than expensive dinners?
Maybe drinks and beer have much higher profit margins?
Whatever the difference is, I wish TVLALive would have figured it out.

For those that missed it,
discussion of the LA Trader Vics closing starting at the bottom of this page:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29701&forum=2&start=60

On 2011-05-12 08:10, Dustycajun wrote:

On 2011-05-11 21:16, christiki295 wrote:

Funny, that quote appeared in the LA Times this morning in an article on the loss of business due to the Lakers exit from the playoffs.

Well, you know what they say: Any press is good press.

I stopped by Trader Vic's last week early before a Laker game. The drinks were good. The place was quiet but gearing up for the mad rush at 6:00. It's too bad they did not get an inside presence in the center.

DC

It may be no coincidence that TVLA closed near the end of the Lakers worst season in franchise history, when attendance was down and those who did attend the games was no longer a fun, celebratory experience, but more like going to identify a body at a morgue.

C

"Maybe the bottom line is that 20 - 30 somethings want more drinks than expensive dinners?
Maybe drinks and beer have much higher profit margins?"

It's because romance and mystery has left their lives.

On 2014-03-30 11:26, Cammo wrote:
It's because romance and mystery has left their lives.

No doubt this is partly caused by the frickin' 35 minutes of ads per hour we have to watch on broadcast and cable TV channels nowadays.

Pages: 1 29 replies