Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Burlesque Fest!

Pages: 1 5 replies

H

A couple of coworkers & I went to Burlesque Fest tonight here in Seattle, and Oh My God what fun it was. This was the first stop on their tour, so I imagine other stops will be even more polished. If your city is on the tour, I encourage you to check it out. Those of you in SF, LA or NY may find it less than what you're accustomed to, but it was really neat to see this in Seattle, which has been kind of lacking on the burlesque front (despite the great efforts of the Gun Street Girls!).

http://www.burlesquefest.com

So, I totally wanna be a burlesquer when I grow up now. Me & my coworker are talking about pulling together a JDRF benefit, but I dunno if would happen... I'll keep you posted. It would be beyond amateurish, but our hearts would be in it.

I

Several of us in the D.C. area are looking forward to Friday, June 13, when this same show rolls into town.

One of the stars of BurlesqueFest is Catherine D'Lish, and I'll share with you a description of one of her acts (from last year's Tease-o-rama) that I wrote for an article that appears in the latest issue of 'Cool and Strange Music.'

"Imagine the sweeping saxophone sounds of Sam Butera as he performs his song "Street Scene" (on the Ultra-Lounge: Saxophonia CD) Next, picture a giant four-foot-tall martini glass on stage, as a beautiful woman named Catherine D'Lish performs a graceful dance with two large feather fans. She slowly removes her dress, her stockings, and steps up into the martini glass and sensually bathes herself in this exotic bath. Near the song's end, Miss D'Lish reclines back, lifts her legs together, and spins herself around as Sam Butera's saxophone reaches its climatic wailing. If one were ever looking for a moment that could symbolize that peak moment in Vegas history - where sex, liquor, and music came together in a brief moment of pop culture glamour - one would be hard pressed to choose a moment more appropriate than this one."

If you haven't seen the New Burlesque yet, hopefully you'll be able to catch the show when it rolls into or near your town.

Vern

T

Hubba, Hubba, Hubba...

Hey I checked out the link to Burlesque Fest. You had Catherine D'Lish and Empire Burlesque Follies, sounds to me like you had a great show. I'm from LA and the only two burlesque shows out here worth a damn are Velvet Hammer and SWANK, other than that they all pretty much blow. Teaseorama is coming to LA this year though which means less traveling expenses for me. Last year I went to SF for it and the year before that to New Orleans, now the burlesque gods have smiled and brought the show to me.

H

Have the dates for Teaseorama been set yet? There's nothing up on the website.

T

This is the latest email I received on the venue back on the 21st of May:
Okay Teasers 2003!!

It is official. Tease-O-Rama III will take place this Fall in Los Angeles! The dates for Tease-O-Rama 2003 is October 10th and 11th. (We are not announcing the venue yet as we are not set to sell tix at this time... stay tuned!)

We are now booking performers for Tease-O-Rama 2003! If you are interested you must fill out the questionnaire below and send it via Snail Mail! Please note: nothing will be accepted via e-mail.
Baby-Doe

Hope this helps everyone out!

Pages: 1 5 replies