Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

not tiki but MOD .... please help

Pages: 1 12 replies

Anyone out there in the the L.A. area know where I can buy a mod suit or have one tailored to me? I'm going to a wedding and feel like doing something different.
thanks

T

I used to know a guy that made "Beatle" suits...(when I was in a the DayTrippers about 7yrs ago) I'll look for his business card.
He can probably make something MOD for you.

I, too have been looking for a swell suit. Any leads would be appreciated! Mahalo.

-Weird Unc

T

Kailuageoff,
Ouch!...that suit hurt my eyes!

I'm moving this to Beyond....

tikifetish,

When do you need your suit? I can do it for you. However, it does involve quite a lot of work. Keep in mind, you have to pay for quality. Also, you need to be able to get to the L.A. area for fittings.

Regarding the jacket on ebay-take a close look at the print-very Tiki. Jackets of this type were popular in the "Golden Age" for more formal Polynesian-themed events. If you are a 40 regular wear that to your wedding as a dinner jacket with black tux pants and white shirt. Go all the way and get a completely different hawaiian print cummerbund and tie.

Be bold! Everyone will be drunk in an hour anyway.

!

With my luck I would get thee cooolest mod suit (like Sting's in Quadrophenia), go to the wedding, get totally blitzed and wake up the next morning on the beach covered in vomit, baking in the sun. That's when it helps to know a really good dry cleaner. But not to worry, that shit only happens to me and I've developed super-human coping skills to deal with it.

On 2003-05-31 02:39, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
With my luck I would get thee cooolest mod suit (like Sting's in Quadrophenia), go to the wedding, get totally blitzed and wake up the next morning on the beach covered in vomit, baking in the sun.

Then you need that jacket on eBay. The pattern would hide your vomit.

Speaking of vomit, your own is bad enough-ever wake up with someone else's on you? tryto explain that to your dry-cleaner.

T
thejab posted on Mon, Jun 2, 2003 2:23 PM

Check out vintage clothing stores in your area. I went the ebay route for clothes for a while but was burned too many times by ill-fitting clothes. Don't trust the measurements sellers give! They often measure differently than you or I. It's much better to be able to try them on before buying (especially an expensive suit).

If you tell me what town or neighborhood you live in I may be able to recommend a store. I often visit them when in the L.A. area. Hollywood, North Hollywood, Santa Monica, and Long Beach have many good stores.

The twice-yearly Vintage Fashion Expos in Santa Monica and San Francisco can be good sources, but the prices are sometimes fairly high. Unfortunately the last one was a month ago and the next one is in October.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. The suit Sting wore in Quadrophenia is exactly what I'm looking for. Odder still is the fact that the wedding IS at the beach.The wedding is less than 3 weeks away and I'm beginning to get desperate. I thank you all for your help.

By the way, I live in Riverside and can easily make it to L.A. when needed.

T
thejab posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2003 1:13 PM

I have not looked in Riverside for vintage clothing. I would spend a day in Hollywood. Vintage clothing stores are clustered on Melrose and Vermont in Los Feliz, and some on Sunset South of the Tiki Ti, with a few others scattered around. Also go to Burbank and North Hollywood. It may take a while to find one in your size. 60s suits are harder to find than 40s and 50s suits. Be patient and you might find what your looking for.

I would also look at this site:

http://www.aaavintage.com/

Go to "Planet Clothing" and "Clothes from the 60s and 70s". They have deadstock 60s 3-button suits. I have been to their warehouse in Sacramento and it's filled with vintage clothing. I have bought clothes from them and they are good people. Just be sure you know your exact measurements if inquiring about a suit that you can't try on before buying.

Pages: 1 12 replies