Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 11 3rd Annual Car Show!!

Pages: 1 36 replies

Since no one has posted about the car show yet, I thought I'd get it started!
Here's the super cool video from last years' show... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bBg9egBAmO8

I'm hoping to have my Thunderbird back on the road in time for Oasis. I pulled the motor and spent the last couple of months rebuilding it. I just have to paint the engine compartment and drop it back in there and it should all be good again...

Also, we've been talking with Otto, Baby Doe, and Maitai and The Hula Girls will be at the car show on Saturday with two shows at 11 and 2!
Pin-up models and hula-a-go-go dancers, Miss Dinah DeRosa and Miss Judy Luck, will be dancing with us!

Who else is bringing a car?
http://www.tikioasis.com/2011/carshow/

B

[ Edited by: Bad30th 2011-08-09 18:40 ]

Meanwhile....I don't think my truck is gonna make it to the show... Not unless San Diego is all down-hill from my garage... Still needs a motor and transmission..... and, uh, seats.

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 11, 2011 9:12 AM

My buddy once had a truck very much like yours back in the 90s...I helped with the exterior paint-job and my friend upholstered the interior in a black and white swirly op-art pattern - it turned out really really nice!
If I can find my one and only snapshot of it I'll post it later.

Unfortunately he lost the truck in a devastating home fire that destroyed all, including his garage and everything in it :(

Big Bamboo aka the "Tikiyakimobile" will represent !

WHOOOO!!

TS

I have a Tbird named Tiki Bird. I have to get the brakes fixed first. I will try to make the date. Right now August is iffy since I am still going to be on work travel off and on during that month.

I've been dyin' to take her on a road trip.

That gold engine, by the way, looks great!

TS

Chop'em, drop'em and cruise'em. It ain't cool if they don't drool!

[ Edited by: Tiki Slob 2011-05-16 16:28 ]

TS, that Thunderbird looks super clean! I don't think I've seen that one at any shows before! I get stoked when I see other Thunderbirds out there. They seem fairly rare.
I'm going a mild custom route with mine. Ditched the bumper guard. Shaved the body and the door handles. Custom grill and custom pipes.... But I still LOVE how they look stock and very clean. Cool Bird!

Hope to see it at the car show!

P
Polly posted on Thu, May 19, 2011 6:43 PM

Cool!

MT

Tiki Oasis Car Show, Baby! Aloha John, Rob Bennett from The Lifters C.C., and I have been rounding up cars, especially ones that tie in with a tiki theme, or a "Let's spend the weekend in Baja" theme, or both. This year's car show should not disappoint!

Spike, hurry up and get that engine finished. Looking good so far!

On 2011-05-11 10:24, tikiyaki wrote:

Jim, glad to know that you're on board this year! Vintage vans, wagons, and trailers, you're gonna see 'em at this year's Tiki Oasis Car Show! Along with some traditional old school hot rods, vintage iron, and cool customs!

I'll post more pictures in the next week or two, because, hey, I'm dickin' around out in Palm Springs right now. Until then, let me entice you with a pic or two of a car that I almost got signed up for this year: Tiki Warrior, the one that got away.

Stay tuned for more pics of cars for the Third Annual Tiki Oasis Car Show!

Hey Bill it was cool to meet you at Caliente. Here is Marions wagon and my Galaxie 500, hoping to have more "period correct" wheels on hers before Oasis. We bought it with the 17's on it, but it will get bags and 15's eventually.

MT

On 2011-05-24 12:36, marion-n-brad wrote:
Hey Bill it was cool to meet you at Caliente. Here is Marions wagon and my Galaxie 500, hoping to have more "period correct" wheels on hers before Oasis. We bought it with the 17's on it, but it will get bags and 15's eventually.

Does anyone know Marion and Brad, and can put me in contact with them? Much thanks in advance! :)

My Wife will have her T-bird again.
I don't think i will be bringing any of our other cars due to the Music events I'm doing but i wish i had the time to bring em : (

[ Edited by: JasonLeeSurf 2011-07-22 12:20 ]

T
TNT posted on Fri, Jul 22, 2011 1:05 PM

We are bringing our 1960 Pontiac Catalina. It is a work in progress.

B

The Hula Girls will be playing at the car show on Saturday August 20th at 10am and 2pm!!

MT

I'm still looking for contact info for Marion and Brad. Does anyone here know them, and can put me in contact them, or forward them the message that I'm trying to contact them about the Tiki Oasis Car Show? Muchas Gracias! (getting into the "South Of The Border Theme")

On 2011-07-18 18:14, Mai Tai wrote:

On 2011-05-24 12:36, marion-n-brad wrote:

Does anyone know Marion and Brad, and can put me in contact with them? Much thanks in advance! :)

MaiTai, got a friend in law enforcement or DMV that will run that plate for you? XNS 420

On 2011-07-26 18:32, MadDogMike wrote:
MaiTai, got a friend in law enforcement or DMV that will run that plate for you? XNS 420

Nooooooo! Dont let law enforcement run my plate! Or i will have to pack up my Galaxie and spend the rest of my days in Tijuana....haha
MaiTai....pm'd you!

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jul 29, 2011 5:17 PM

Mai Tai
Awesome car line up. I just heard the Primo wagon will make an appearance w some free beer!! Also Cult of the Eye party will happen near the xar show so no reason to actually attend the event!!

I love that there are so many T-birds on this thread! Usually when I go to car shows I'm the only Bird there. Lucky- your engine looks great-good job! I hope to bring my car to Oasis someday, but it would be a long drive..

HT

Will be there to hear one of our favorite groups, The Hula Girls at 10 am and 2 pm.

TS

On 2011-05-17 09:45, Luckydesigns wrote:
TS, that Thunderbird looks super clean! I don't think I've seen that one at any shows before! I get stoked when I see other Thunderbirds out there. They seem fairly rare.
I'm going a mild custom route with mine. Ditched the bumper guard. Shaved the body and the door handles. Custom grill and custom pipes.... But I still LOVE how they look stock and very clean. Cool Bird!

Hope to see it at the car show!

Thanks Spike! I dig'em either way. I have a '51 Ford Victoria called Icky Vicky that is almost on the road. She is taking all my free time right now so TB's brakes and other things have been ignored. Too many irons in the fire. I, of course, lean toward Kustom as Icky Vicky will be a Barris style kind of thing. Icky is going to get the Hula Girl reference to go along with Tiki Bird. My younger son is interested in the bird so he and I will have to decide stock or Kustom. Mamma on the other hand digs the bird stock. So we will see. At this point it doesn't look good for the show. Brakes not fixed yet and lots of business travel still. We might make the Belmont Shore show in Long Beach though. Will have to wait until the very LAST minute to decide about the Oasis show. This business travel on-again-off-again thing sucks. BUT...we Tbird folks gotta hook up somewhere.
See ya...TS

TS

On 2011-07-30 23:07, tiki-riviera wrote:
I love that there are so many T-birds on this thread! Usually when I go to car shows I'm the only Bird there. Lucky- your engine looks great-good job! I hope to bring my car to Oasis someday, but it would be a long drive..

Nice convert! I'm diggin' the Tbird representation myself. My younger son is not a Tikiphile (yet) but he is very interested in fixing up Tiki Bird with me so he will eventually get the bug. Hey...a few Mai Tais and a hula chick or two...he'll come around to seeing things Pop's way, ya know?
Tbirds are cool.
TS

TS

On 2011-07-31 08:57, HB TIKI wrote:
Will be there to hear one of our favorite groups, The Hula Girls at 10 am and 2 pm.

So HB...your bird is lookin' cool. Does HB stand for Hula Bird? Just checkin'. Damn! Tbirds abound around here. This is something else.
TS

TS

On 2011-05-11 10:24, tikiyaki wrote:

Hey TikiYaki,
I used to paint all kinds of vans like yours during the '70s van craze. I just can't get enough of that style. The movement was quite the party in my neck of the woods (Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, Gardena). Glad to see you're keeping the tiki torch lit!
TS

TS

On 2011-07-22 12:18, JasonLeeSurf wrote:
My Wife will have her T-bird again.
I don't think i will be bringing any of our other cars due to the Music events I'm doing but i wish i had the time to bring em : (

[ Edited by: JasonLeeSurf 2011-07-22 12:20 ]

Jason...dude! I gotta introduce my wife to your wife so they can discuss T-bird styling. That is a bitchen square bird. Mamma wants it stock but I keep telling her how the '62 would look so cool low slung like that. I know what you mean about bringin' the other cars. My car is a '51 Ford Vicky and my older son and I built a 60s custom Valiant wagon. What I wouldn't give to have them all on the road at the same time going to the Oasis! The Vicky is still gettin' a heart transplant and my older son is too busy with other things to come out and play.
TS

Yeah, i can't believe how many 'Birds are on Tiki Central! I can totally relate to being the only 'Bird at car shows...
You should totally go custom with it. I shaved my door handles, antenna, and most of the badging. Up next are bags and paint, but recently I've been doing a lot of repairs to just keep the damn thing rolling....

By the way, I love Ford Vickies! Super cool!

Oh, and if I didn't have all of The Hula Girls' gear and merch and everything to bring down, I'd drive my 'Bird to Oasis, for sure!

TS

On 2011-08-02 15:08, Luckydesigns wrote:
Yeah, i can't believe how many 'Birds are on Tiki Central! I can totally relate to being the only 'Bird at car shows...
You should totally go custom with it. I shaved my door handles, antenna, and most of the badging. Up next are bags and paint, but recently I've been doing a lot of repairs to just keep the damn thing rolling....

By the way, I love Ford Vickies! Super cool!

I'd dig the Kustom thing for it, no doubt. I am doing the full Barris Kustom treatment on Icky Vicky so I will fer sher get my yayas on that one. But mamma and my youngest son have a lot of say in Tiki Bird. We will see. I am doing the same with keeping it running. Slowly she is coming up to speed. The car that is. Mamma still has a ways to go in fully appreciating Kustom. At least she digs Tiki so I am way ahead in the game there.
TS

MT

Badges? We don' need no steenkin' badges, when we have the Tiki Oasis Car Show! Here's who's coming this year:

Our sponsor, Primo Beer's VW Bus.

The Pizz's 1957 flamed and customized Chevy Bel Air Wagon.

Harry Decker's 1965 Mustang Convertible.

Jim Bacchi's 1983 Big Bamboo Tiki'd out Dodge Van.

Kelly Reilly and Melanie Link's 1965 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon and matching tiki'd out Jet Deluxe Travel Trailer.

Dave Warshaw's 1967 Streamline Prince Trailer.

Teresa and Tim Harris' 1960 Pontiac Catalina.

Tom Chartier's 1964 Chrysler Imperial Crown.

Michele Penner's 1964 Ford Thunderbird.

Brad Luebbermann's 1962 Ford Galaxie 500XL Convertible.

Marion Luebbermann's 1962 Ford Country Squire Wagon.

Pinky's 1958 hot bubble gum pink Studebaker Provincial Wagon.

Holly Ansman's 1956 Chevrolet Pickup with tropical floral graphics.

Mike Miller's 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air Hard Top with Hemi engine.

Mark Waldow's 1957 red and white restored Ford Thunderbird.

Susan Schein's 1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe Convertible.

John Fulton's 1931 Ford Model A.

Rob Bennett's 1930 Ford Roadster built in 1940's period style.

Tiki Diablo's 1927 Ford Model T Roadster.

Rodolfo Alvarado's 1964 Ford F-100 Pickup.

James Street's 1935 Ford Coupe.

Tim Wallace's 1955 Customized yellow Mercury 2 door hardtop.

Terry Wallace's 1939 Customized black Ford Deluxe Coupe.

See you at the Tiki Oasis Car Show! Don't miss out and end up on your ass! BE THERE!!!

C

who do I need to talk to about getting in the car show next year? PM me info sometime. I have a 56 Chevy wagon as well as a 68 Mustang.

MT

On 2011-08-21 20:40, catmomma wrote:
who do I need to talk to about getting in the car show next year? PM me info sometime. I have a 56 Chevy wagon as well as a 68 Mustang.

Anyone interested in bringing a car to next year's 2012 Tiki Oasis 12 Car Show can contact me. Especially if you have a car that is very Spy / James Bond-ish, or know someone that has a car like that. I'm already starting to hunt for cars for next year's car show!

The Hula Girls had a BLAST at the TO Car Show this year! Otto, Baby Doe, and Mai Tai stepped up the entertainment level with a stage for the band this year! We had a great crowd and played a very fun show. Hope to see The Hula Girls back there again, next year!

One week late for this year, but maybe I'll drive my new '61 Econoline truck to the car show, next year!

T

Spike, let's see a picture of what's in the back!

Haha, I took that picture about three years ago at a motorcycle/ car show. My T-Bird was parked next to the Econoline. I had no idea back then, that I'd ever be buying that guy's truck... Crazy, right??

But if you're still interested, the bike is probably an early '60s BSA or Triumph. The guy had really good taste in motorcycles.

Pages: 1 36 replies