Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

East Bay - the best possible Tiki Itinerary for a Thurs night?

Pages: 1 6 replies

This week traveling to Alameda, where I lived for 8 years. (Why did I move so far away??? My issue :))

The question is, is there a better Tiki itinerary to be had on a Thursday night in the East Bay?

My current itinerary (thankfully, we have a designated driver):

1. Conga Lounge (right at 5:00PM)
  2. Dinner at Trader Vics, Emeryville
  3. Forbidden Island

I've been to all the above many times and cannot come up with a better itinerary. But, if there are any other worthy places (new and good!) that I should consider please let me know!

BTW, later in the week planning to hit Smuggler's Cove in SF which I have not hit yet. So, pretty excited about that as well.

RhumStorm

Kona Klub is beautifully decked out and is only 3 blocks from the cemetary with Trader Vic's crypt!

On 2011-05-10 15:35, rugbymatt wrote:
Kona Klub is beautifully decked out and is only 3 blocks from the cemetary with Trader Vic's crypt!

Thank you rugbymatt for the ideas. From looking at Kona Club's drink menu it looks like the Beachcomber Zombie might be the go to drink. Visually appealing place as well. If there is Martin Denny on the jukebox then I am there :) !

RhumStorm

On 2011-05-10 15:35, rugbymatt wrote:

i was also surprised Kona club wasn't on your list.
it is a short walk from the conga lounge, past the cemetery with trader vic's crypt to the kona club

Kona Club has great decor....but when we were there last year the drinks weren't all that well crafted. Most drinks were mixed "in glass" with pre-mixed ingredients and ended up tasting really strong but with little character. They used to be a college bar so maybe the bartender was a hold over. It could be that things have improved. They do have a cool dancing hula girl statue and lots of bamboo and thatch. Oh, and they had a REALLY cool mug for sale at the time.

I think your first 3 picks should be your priority and then hit Kona if you have time. The Conga Lounge is awesome. The staff has the right Tiki-tude. No matter what, you'll have a blast at any and all of those places. We are spoiled up here in Nor Cal!

If you didn't know Conga Lounge and Forbidden Island are both owned by Mike---which is why they are both so awesome and the drinks are so well done :)

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2011-05-11 19:33 ]

On 2011-05-11 17:30, SandraDee wrote:
If you didn't know Conga Lounge and Forbidden Island are both owned by Moolaki Mike---which is why they are both so awesome and the drinks are so well done :)

Definitely! FI drinks and Conga Lounge define the standard for tiki drinks. Molokai Mike sent 4 FI mugs out this way after a FI mug met its demise on my screened back porch ( I paid for the mugs and shipping as one would expect - but for Mike to take the time in the first place to ship these to me was very cool and puts out a great vibe in my book. I mean he's running multiple businesses and took the time to make that happen! ). A ceremony was held in the mugs' honor - Martin Denny's version of Misirlou playing, tiki torches lit and a double of Ron Zacapa 23 year old (I hope that is a proper farewell).

Thanks all for the feedback and recommendations! Land in SFO tomorrow 11:15 AM - yes!!!!

RhumStorm

Pages: 1 6 replies