Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Anyone use IKEA for tiki mug cabinets?

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

I was looking at the IKEA catalog last night for shelves to display my tiki mugs on in the new place, and I saw a wall mounted glass shelving unit, tall and thin with a light inside, and glass shelves and a glass door. Called 'Bertby' I think. This looked like just the thing for keeping the tiki mugs dust free, and showcasing them with the respect they deserve. However, by my calculations, they only hold about 50 mugs. Does anyone else have one of these, and if so, can you give me an approximate mug count for how many they hold?

Tikifish, I know which shelf you are talking about. The light is a cool idea but it doesn't illuminate the whole thing once you fill it up with stuff. Here's why:

In the IKEA display, the light illuminates the whole unit because it penetrates each shelf being that they're made of glass. Once you put something on the top shelf, it blocks the light from lighting the remaining shelves below it. As such, if you were looking at showcasing everything below the top shelf with that light, all you'll get is a bunch of poorly lit mugs.

My sister bought 4 of these, mounted them side to side and filled them up with all her collectibles before she realized what I'm talking about.

I've got 3 of these cabinets for mugs myself, I'm very happy with them. The light is an option, it does not come with. I did not get the lights. They really don't need it. Room light is more than enough for display, as they are reasonably shallow, have white interior finish, and the frame of the door doesn't block any of the display area. I also like the wall mount style, gives a floating effect.

The cabinets hold around 30 mugs comfortably. I also added latches to keep the mugs inside during a quake. I picked these cabinets as I don't have an appropriate Tiki bar area for display, and the cabinets blended well with my office furniture. Some of the mugs will make it for display in The Spectacular East Indies Room, but most will stay in their Ikea cases.

C

That look great but please tell me those Outre mugs, the Black Evil Bastard I think I see a U Bastard too and the Oasis shot are behind glass too!

The munktiki mugs are not behind glass because they are my nephew's favorite toys when he visits. The horns make it easy for him to dig in the sand with! :)

C

OH THE HORROR!!! :o

E

I have this shelf mounted on the wall in my Mod Room and love it!! I'm using it for some of my Shag goodies and refer to it as my "Shag Shelf" and it's always changing.

I love its clean lines and design and didn't use all the shelves that came with it because I wanted to fit some books in it. I bought the optional two light set and actually often unplug the top light because it's sometimes too bright for the mood of the room (picture does not capture mood accurately). At the center of the shelf I put the second light face up. (I had to drill a small hole to be able to poke the wire through.) Then I placed a vintage piece of glass (that looks flame-like to me) on top of it and secured it with museum gel. It really adds to the ambiance of the room (which is all reds, oranges, and pinks primarily) .

I had to wait almost a month to get this shelf at the Seattle IKEA because it's apparently pretty popular. I was thinking the very same thing about getting another one for tiki mugs! Thanks for letting me see how yours looks!

[ Edited by: exoticat on 2003-05-30 18:35 ]

T

Those are great cases and I love everyone's pictures. A little off track from the original post but anyone remember about how much these cases cost? I'd like to pick a couple up, if they're not too pricey, to showcase my stuff.

C

$99 on ikea-usa.com. Look under storage furniture for glassdoor cabinets. Dang, I better get my order in!

E

Also, it would be cool to put a facade on top of the wooden frame to the door that has some sort of tiki design to it. I always have way more ideas than I do time, so maybe someone else can do this while I clean the basement and try to stay focused on the fact that August 9th will be here in a blink, ha ha...

since when does canada have dust?. any proper tiki head would only display there mugs on a bamboo bens shelf or a ken pleasant shelf(kiegs20 on ebay)or equivelent. lets not let the spirit of ikea leak into the bar area!. modern nick-naks are ok, but mugs?.

T

Well if I had a bar room, I would go the bamboo route - but these will be in my livingroom, which is rather space age and modern looking with an all glass curved wall and white pillars and white 60's modern furniture. So the IKEA thing works with that aesthetic.

And the glass keeps the dust out! I hate dust!!! (Am I starting to sound a little crazy?)

NO WIRE HANGERS!!!!

Pages: 1 11 replies