Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge 5-11-11 Hollywood Show

Pages: 1 2 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: May 11, 2011

On this week’s show we are heading to Tinsel Town, with a cinematic exploration of the music used in movies and interpolations inspired by celluloidical compositions ranging from the era of Don the Beachcomber to today’s Los Angeleno Tiki haunts. Next week I will be away and we will repeat the broadcast of the April 27 blues-tinged show.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr This show is only broadcast live; there are no recorded shows archived that you can listen to. However, some fans do record the show’s live broadcasts on their computers to listen to in the future.

1. “Queen of the Hollywood Islands” sung by Dorothy Lamour in the 1948 Movie: On Our Merry Way, from the CD: Broadway’s Gone Hawaii.

2. “Lover” by Al Canopin from the CD: Legends of the Ukulele, Vol. 2, Composed By Rodgers & Hart for the 1932 Movie: Love Me Tonight.

3. “Hula Girl” from the 2007 movie of the same name, by Jake Shimabukuro, taken from his CD: Gently Weeps, also available on the soundtrack recording

4. “Only Good Times” by Keola & Kapono Beamer from their CD: Honolulu City Lights, composed by Keola and used in the 1978 movie: Big Wednesday.

5. “Misirlou” from the anthology: King of the Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale & His Del-Tones, the 1962 song used in the movie: Pulp Fiction, and which was the first surf guitar record to use reverb

6. “I Kilohi Aku Au (When I Look In Your Eyes)” By Keola Beamer & Raiatea from the CD of the same name, from the movie: Dr. Doolittle.

7. “Who Will Buy” the Lionel Bart composition From the musical and movie version of Oliver, performed by Les Baxter Orchestra & Chorus, from his 1966 LP: Brazil, Now [CD: The Colors of Brazil & African Blue]

8. “Dancing in the Dark” Composed by Arthur Schwartz & Howard Dietz for the 1953 movie: The Band Wagon, from the CD: Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica Presents The Unforgettable Sounds of Esquivel

9. “High Noon” from the 1952 Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly movie, by Billy May and His Orchestra from the collection: Billy’s Best

10. “Barbarella” The 1966 version by the Bob Crew Generation, from the CD: Sex and the ‘60s

11. “My Favorite Things” the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic from The Sound of Music performed by Johnny Hartman, from his album: For Trane, Recorded in 1972 in Tokyo, with Masabumi Kikuchi on Piano; Yoshio Suzuki on Bass; and Hiroshi Murakami on Drums.

12. “Love Song From Mutiny on the Bounty” from the 1962 movie, by Johnny Hodges from his 1962 LP: The Eleventh Hour, Arranged & Conducted by Oliver Nelson; Johnny Hodges on Alto Sax; Ray Nance on Violin; Unknown on Guitar; Bernie Leighton on Piano & Organ; George Duvivier on Bass; and Ossie Johnson on Drums [CD: Buenes Aires Blues W/Lalo Schifrin]

13. “Our Love Is Here to Stay” Composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1938 movie: The Goldwyn Follies, sung by Blossom Dearie from her 1958 LP: Once Upon a Summertime [CD: Four Classic Albums Plus]. With Mundell Lowe on Electric Guitar; Ray Brown on Bass; and Ed Thigpen on Drums.

14. “Gone With the Wind” from the Box Set: Benny Carter – The Music Master, with Benny Carter on Alto Sax; Oscar Peterson on Piano; Barney Kessel on Guitar; Ray Brown on Bass; and Buddy Rich on Drums, recorded in Los Angeles in 1952.

15. “Laura” the David Raskin composition from the 1944 movie of the same name by Ella Fitzgerald from her 1964 LP: The Johnny Mercer Songbook, Arranged and Conducted by Nelson Riddle.

16. “Surf for Two” The Original Movie Soundtrack for the 1959 surf movie: Slippery When Wet, composed and performed by Bud Shank with the Bud Shank Quartet, featuring Bud Shank on Alto Sax; Billy Bean on Electric Guitar; Gary Peacock on String Bass; and Chuck Flores on Drums.

17. “My Foolish Heart” Composed by Victor Young & Ned Washington for the 1949 movie of the same name, performed by tenor sax master George Young on his 1987 CD: Burgundy, featuring Warren Bernhardt on Piano, Ron Carter on Bass, Al Foster on Drums, and Toots Thielmans on Harmonica.

On 2011-05-12 09:35, lovelyrita wrote:
At what time?
Sounds like a great playlist!

Sorry I left that out. It is 5 to 6 p.m. Eastern Time every Wednesday.

Pages: 1 2 replies