Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

BevMo stores no longer stocking Depaz Cane Syrup - Join the fight!

Pages: 1 7 replies

UPDATE 5/17/2011: Heads up! Beltramos in Menlo Park, CA is now stocking Depaz Cane Syrup and for a LOW price of $10.49 per bottle vs the standard $14.99. Take that BevNO!

It's true, BevMo stores nation wide have ceased stocking Depaz Cane Syrup due to "low sales". This is one of the best tasting dark cane syrups out there and an ingredient I regularly call out by name for cocktails in my book. There's nothing else out there that has this almost metallic, rich sweet flavor. You can still special order and locate DCS at other stores or online (with $14 shipping), but the point is you should be able to leisurely walk into a BevMo and snag a bottle for $14.

I already posted a complaint on BevMo's corporate Facebook page and I URGE EVERYONE on Tiki Central to please do the same. Let BevMo know their decision to pull Depaz Cane Syrup is flat out BAD and we will happily take our business elsewhere. Let's bring it back!

https://www.facebook.com/BevMo

Mahalo,
-KK

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-05-17 13:07 ]

Why did they stop stocking it? No matter how many people like the idea of it being sold in the store, Bevmo isn't likely to change their minds if those people weren't buying it often enough to make them any money.

On 2011-05-13 10:41, capheind wrote:
Why did they stop stocking it? No matter how many people like the idea of it being sold in the store, Bevmo isn't likely to change their minds if those people weren't buying it often enough to make them any money.

A manager stated "due to slow sales", however the fact that bottles were always scarce or completely out of stock at multiple locations leads me to believe something else is going on. Another manager mentioned months ago (when Depaz Cane was out of stock) that Depaz Cane Syrup came boxed with bottles of Depaz's Blue Cane Agricole rum from the distributer. BevMo was essentially unboxing the bottles and selling them separately, which seemed odd to me. Maybe word of this practice got back to Depaz? Either way I'm not buying the "no one was purchasing Depaz Cane" explanation. In the past I'd visit 5 stores in a 30 mile radius to find bottles.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-05-13 12:01 ]

What's the difference between the Depaz and just making a SS with demerara sugar???

C

Well being scarce in stores really isn't the best indicator, since you can order stuff from their warehouses to the store they probably don't warehouse slow movers at their retail locations.

I'm not saying that's the case, you could be right, they could have just been double dipping by selling a two for one as two separate items, and now are banned from the cookie jar.

Incidentally, why do you drive around looking when you can just order it from their website to the store? Got a classic car you can't get enough of?

Depaz Rhum is no longer in the BevMo online system as well as the the syrup. Honestly, I've never purchased either item.
I'm betting Depaz yanked the line from BevMo. If an item sells well enough (two bottles per month?) it would stay on the shelf.
I'd love to know how many people are actually buying St. Elizabeth Allsice Dram & Taylor's Velvet Falernum from BevMo. That is always on the shelf. I even dust them when I go in.

On 2011-05-13 16:08, capheind wrote:
Well being scarce in stores really isn't the best indicator, since you can order stuff from their warehouses to the store they probably don't warehouse slow movers at their retail locations.

I'm not saying that's the case, you could be right, they could have just been double dipping by selling a two for one as two separate items, and now are banned from the cookie jar.

Incidentally, why do you drive around looking when you can just order it from their website to the store? Got a classic car you can't get enough of?

Online stock and in store stock have never matched when I actually went into the store. I've gone to pick up orders and when I browse the isle the out of stock items I purchased at another BevMo are sometimes there, fully stocked. It's quite frustrating. And yes, I love driving my car.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-05-13 17:45 ]

This is too bad. Seems like BevMo slowly fazes out everything that I purchase there. Bummer. Anyone know where to get this Depaz Simple Syrup in SoCal?

Pages: 1 7 replies