Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Teriyaki African Hissing Cockroaches

Pages: 1 4 replies

found on the 'net:
*"On the Travel Channel's "Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern, he did one show where he goes to New York and visits a man that cooks "alternative foods" - basically, he cooks all kinds of insects.

On that episode Andrew tries an African Hissing Cockroach. The African Hissing Cockroach was cook in teriyaki sauce, and cooked until crispy. He says that it's really delicious, and that it tastes like roasted teriyaki, crunchy, and pleasant aftertaste (the cockroach was soaked in teriyaki sauce).

The New York Chef that cooks the African Hissing Cockroaches feeds them apple and pear to give them a sweet taste. The he gut-load-injects the African Hissing Cockroach with teriyaki before cooking. The African Hissing Cockroach is huge - about as big as a man's thumb."*

Something to think about for your next backyard luau :D

Apparently, they make great pets, too.

H

Yes! you are definitely on something! err, I mean on to something!

The Teriyaki Cockroaches would make the perfect "theme" food for the upcoming "Goin' Primitive" event.

Ya know, a year ago I tried to get Rory to go for something similar for Tiki Caliente II. Not cooked or fried though, just raw for the shear visual entertainment value:

I'm pretty sure that eating insects is going to be the next big culinary fad. You first.

Haka, that video is DISGUSTING - I love it!!! :lol:

I am allergic to shrimp, lobster, crab, etc. But that allergy extends to all athropods including beetles (grubs) DAMMITALL!!!! :wink:

I was in the Regiment that Bear was in for a very, very short time. I was in for 18+ years and was a Major.
I've had to eat those grubs on many an occasion . . . the only difference being . . . I wasn't getting paid heaps for doing it!

Former Major, 22 SAS (B Squadron; Air Troop)

Pages: 1 4 replies