Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Skipper Kent carved wood plaque - Signed "Paul"

Pages: 1 4 replies

Some of you may have seen this on eBay a while back - I was fortunate enough to snatch it up. Pretty cool plaque carved in monkeypod:

Inscription Reads:
"To be a winner never meant
My good friend, Skipper Kent
I'll be damned he's always late
Never to place by quirk of fate
With a smile and anchor dragging
Come our hero joking and laughing
Not from sun stroke but just good sport
So pull down the sail and make for port
To you and your kind real solid gent
I take off my hat to Skipper Kent"

Now, I know it doesn't say Frank Skipper Kent, but I just noticed this item listed on the galwest.com, which has been selling many pieces from Frank Kent's estate for years now.

Also, interestingly the seller noted: "Signed simply in white "Paul", believed to be the work of famous Hawaii carver, Paul Fujimoto". I can't prove this at the moment, but galwest is also selling a Paul Fujimoto black coral carving also from the Kent estate. Seems believable to me...

Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: Trad'r Bill 2011-05-23 19:14 ]

Here's some Paul Fujimoto carvings I snagged from this thread:

...interesting

...whoa

Trad'r Bill,

Saw that plaque, nice score, glad you got it.

DC

Hello, Yes the piece is by Paul Fujimoto. Skipper and Paul were friends, and there were many of his works in Skipper's collection. We have a few more available which will be listed on EBAY. I have to say, it is delightful to see so much info on Skipper on Tiki Central. I have been working with Skipper's remaining collection for many years, and have acquired some great items. Check out user galw001 on Ebay for the most recent listings.

Thanks for the info!

Pages: 1 4 replies