Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

most sought after mug?

Pages: 1 35 replies

I'm just wondering out of curiosity sake, but what is generally the most desired restaurant/bar tiki mug out there? I don't mean the most expensive stuff (which would probably be Shag mugs). But stuff that isn't produced anymore or the restaurant has long gone out of businsess. Something that you can probably still find in antique shops and estates, where they are probably not very expensive, but most tiki mug collectors have a soft spot for?

paranoid123 wrote:
I'm just wondering out of curiosity sake, but what is generally the most desired restaurant/bar tiki mug out there?...stuff that isn't produced anymore or the restaurant has long gone out of businsess. Something that you can probably still find in antique shops and estates, where they are probably not very expensive, but most tiki mug collectors have a soft spot for?

~isn't produced anymore
~still able to find in shops & estates
~not very expensive
~most collectors have a soft spot for

By my personal observation, I would guess that the standard coconut mug would be one to fulfill all of the above. Some current coconut mugs are still being produced, but so are the "leilani" style mugs. I tend to always pass up on the leilani-style, but continue to go for the coconut mug time after time.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Well, the answer to that question is probably a matter of personal taste. I'd bet you could ask 10 Tiki Centralites and get 10 different answers. There have been a couple of threads addressing everyones "top 10 list"; I would personally like to find that green mug from the Aloha Hut. It's from a defunct restaurant in DC (and I'm sure there's one sitting on a thrift store shelf gathering dust somewhere out there, probably marked $2.00. I just have to look harder, yeah, that's it; maybe I should quit my job so I can look full time, yeah, gotta get working on that.....but I digress. Note to self, "quit job tomorrow").:roll:
I also like the old Hoffman Moai mugs from the Kahiki (not the newer Orchids of Hawaii version you see all over E-bay--the older one has more graceful lines.) These both sell for a small fortune on E-bay because alot of people with alot of disposable income are bidding on them, but I'll bet if you actually found them in a thrift store or antique store, the price would be much more reasonable.

No, wait. Those mugs actually suck. Don't waste your time. If you see them somewhere, just spit at the seller and walk on by. (And give me a call; just so I can do the same!)

:wink:

M

This one is easy:

The "Blue Hawaii" Tiki Bob.

Game...Set...Match.

midnite

Midnight!

Does it fulfill what was asked:

~isn't produced anymore
~still able to find in shops & estates
~not very expensive
~most collectors have a soft spot for

I've never seen any Tiki Bob's on the shelf, and I don't find them anywhere in the "inexpensive" range...or did I read the original post wrong? It is somewhat confusing since it asks for the most sought after mug, then asks for the above criteria. Maybe this should have been in two separate posts!

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-05-31 00:45 ]

My personal fav is not a mug, but a decanter. I love the Mai Kai decanter that recently went for over $100 on ebay. Fortunately, you can buy a replica from tikifarm for $17.95. I'm getting mine in 3 weeks.

I'd go for the old Trader Dick's moai mug, as it fits all the above criteria. There's even a newer version that's readily available if you don't happen to stumble across one of the older ones with the lettering printed on the little "colourless oval" at the back.

Moai mugs in general don't seem to get the credit they deserve, so are often cheaper than they should be.

Trader Woody

R

On 2003-05-31 03:07, Trader Woody wrote:
I'd go for the old Trader Dick's moai mug, as it fits all the above criteria. There's even a newer version that's readily available if you don't happen to stumble across one of the older ones with the lettering printed on the little "colourless oval" at the back.

Moai mugs in general don't seem to get the credit they deserve, so are often cheaper than they should be.

Trader Woody

I don't know which Trader Vics Moais you are refering to. Do you have a pic? But As far as moais getting enough respect $$$ have a look at this :wink: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35801&item=3225430723

Finding tiki mugs off eBay is such a novelty nowadays, (except in Jawja) that when you do find one, it's posted on this forum for all to oooh and ahhh and drool over. So the reality is, I have a soft spot for ANY tiki mug I can find at all, except for Trader Dick's and Leilani.

Finding tiki mugs off eBay is such a novelty nowadays, (except in Jawja) that when you do find one, it's posted on this forum for all to oooh and ahhh and drool over. So the reality is, I have a soft spot for ANY tiki mug I can find at all, except for Trader Dick's and Leilani.

My most sought after Tiki mug is whichever one is filled with a good drink in my vicinity.

Rattiki, that's Trader DICK's, as in.....er.....well you know.

Here's a little pic of the classic old style:
and here's another of the current 'tiger striped version'

And Tigertlily...."I have a soft spot for ANY tiki mug I can find at all, except for Trader Dick's and Leilani." You may be right about the ubiquitous Leilani, but ignore the old classic Trader Dick's at your peril. I know their current mugs can look like 'root vegetables' (Thanks to Woofmutt for that one) but their older stuff at times is the very essence of Tiki.

Trader Woody

Actually, looking back on the title of this post, I'm not sure it IS possible to fulfill all the criteria, as the desirability of an object is almost inevitably a direct result of their unavailability.

What I really want? Just an old generic Tiki Bob's. It doesn't have to be one of the 'elite' versions. If Elvis has supped out of it or it has the name of one of his more garish and enjoyable 60's flicks on the bottom, all the better!

Trdaer Woody

Finding tiki mugs off eBay is such a novelty nowadays, (except in Jawja)
.....Playa Hata...

How bout the Bud Man mug in the original Crate? Ooooops! Wrong website!!! (I sold one 17 years ago for 1500!)

M
mig posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2003 6:12 PM

This may not meet all the criteria (e.g., it's not from a restaurant) but that Headhunter mug has caused all sorts of interesting Oprahs on TikiCentral! I'd be curious to see what some of the Mug Maniacs have to say in answer to this question. BigBad? Fatuhiva?

Er, I think this question needs to be asked again! It makes it look like SugarCaddyDaddy's most desired mug is the humble coconut mug, while I'd go ape if I ever found an old Trader Dick's moai.

A seperate question should be , "What easy-to-find mug hold's a special place in your heart?"

Trader Woody

Trader Woody wrote:
Er, I think this question needs to be asked again! It makes it look like SugarCaddyDaddy's most desired mug is the humble coconut mug, while I'd go ape if I ever found an old Trader Dick's moai.

Yeah, it kind of does since I think everyone is just reading the title to the post and not the actual first post, which, in itself does have 2 separate questions:

1. Which is the most sought after mug.

2. Which mug qualifies as "Something that you can probably still find in antique shops and estates, where they are probably not very expensive, but most tiki mug collectors have a soft spot for?"

Unfortunately, that's how alot of the cat-fights/ball-bashing starts simply because something wasn't read or read correctly.

Oh well.

As always.....Just my 2 coconuts worth.

1. the tiki bob's mug

2. carved podwood Ku head mug, it was the mug that took my tiki-mug cherry and if i see one i always buy them (now i have two)

Sorry everyone, I can see my question isn't very clear. Let me see if I can clarify it.

I started on the premise that most tiki mugs fall under the catagory of "one man's trash is another man's treasure", based on the fact that some people are still picking up mugs from long-closed restaurants for less than $10 in antique shops. This also eliminates Shag mugs which are in the $30+ range in the primary market, and sometimes over $100 in the secondary market.

So I was wondering which mugs, which can be found in thrift shops, are generally "must haves"? We don't need to abide by the restaurant mug criteria.

paranoid123 wrote:
..my question isn't very clear. Let me see if I can clarify it...I was wondering which mugs, which can be found in thrift shops, are generally "must haves"?...

Most common I've seen (at people's houses) are the Harvey's Peanut mug and Trader Vic's coconut. Someone with more knowledge than I should probably answer it, but being new to all things Tiki-mug, I might have a different perspective. (ie - if I am aware of its existence, it's probably pretty common)

M

You will learn to fear the infinite presence of the Harvey's bucket.

I got 12 for $10 once. As Martha might say, were she not being deloused in prison, they're "Tiki...everyday."

-martin

M

Being from Hawaii I may have a different view of the "favorite collectable" mug than some of you. I like the Moai mugs but they originate from the other side of the world, so I'm not that into them.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

SCD, I TOTALLY disagree with the two mugs in your picture. The coconut is a coconut not a tiki, although it may have come from a tiki bar, it's still not a tiki. The other mug is a mug with Tiki's on it, not what I call a true Tiki Mug.

I do agree with Suffering Bastard that a nice green Aloha Hut mug, is common enough to not be too expensive, but has a great look and feel to it.

As for a Tiki Bob mug, it's only collectable because they are rare, and the reason they are rare is because they are UGLY and were all thrown away years ago. (I wouln't mind having one, but my wife and friends wouldn't understand why it's worth so much) It is definately not my opinion of a favorite mug everyone should own.

Geez, I'm usually not so opinionated, must of had a long day.

LMAO!
This is actually getting pretty funny!

Oh, again, as I said above..
"...I think everyone is just reading the title to the post...Unfortunately, that's how alot of the cat-fights/ball-bashing starts simply because something wasn't read or read correctly."

Oh well, I'm done with this post....NEXT!

M

Actually Tiki Bob is COLLECTIBLE (agree with Pop) because:

1. It was designed by the guy who illustrated some of Vic's books.

2. Bob's was founded by a former Vic's employee.

3. As discussed in another thread by Sven, it may well be the FIRST TIKI MUG.

So there.

-martin

[ Edited by: martiki6 on 2003-06-05 09:45 ]

T

My 2 must faves that have still eluded me are Tiki Bob and the Mauna Loa mug. I still look in thrift stores for them - eventually the Mauna Loa will turn up. Not so sure about Bob.

Lately, the only thing I've found thrifting are the Disney Glasses (why I still buy them I don't know - I guess it's from my Navy Seal days - NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND!), and an unmarked ceramic coconut, which had been used as a planter and required extreme sanitization, lest one drink from it and get Dutch Elm Disease of the tongue.

On 2003-06-05 00:47, martiki6 wrote:
Actually Tiki Bob is rare because:

I agree that the above points make the mug collectible but not rare.

Actually, I don't think the Tiki Bob's mug is rare at all. At any one time you will find one on eBay. Sometimes there are even 3 or more available. Go there now and I bet if you type in Tiki Bob you will find one. Makes me wonder how many they actually made!

K

My 2 coconuts....

I consider something rare if I've never seen it in person at a junk, thrift, or antique store, or flea markets, vintage fairs, etc. Just cuz it's on eBay doesn't make it common. Especially at the price you will have to pay.

--kingslod

On 2003-06-05 10:21, kingslod wrote:
I consider something rare if I've never seen it in person at a junk, thrift, or antique store, or flea markets, vintage fairs, etc.

I disagree.

Example -- I've never come across a Kahiki No.1 mug in a flea market, thrift/antique store, etc. So, does that make it rare? Of course not. I've never come across it in any of those places yet because I'm on the West Coast. But they're always on eBay.

Just cuz it's on eBay doesn't make it common.

Even if it's something that's always on eBay? I don't think there's ever been a time longer than a few weeks where a Tiki Bob mug wasn't available on eBay. As such, they seem somewhat accessible and therefore, not very rare (IMHO). As a side note, the price that people pay for them doesn't make them rare.

I guess we just disagree...

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-06-05 14:02 ]

M

On 2003-06-05 00:47, martiki6 wrote:
Actually Tiki Bob is COLLECTIBLE (agree with Pop) because:

These are facts I didn't know, and may make the Tiki Bob Mug even more collectable than I thought.

I guess the beauty of collecting something is that you can have your own ideas of what is cool and valuable to you.

K

On 2003-06-05 13:52, PolynesianPop wrote:

I disagree.

Example -- I've never come across a Kahiki No.1 mug in a flea market, thrift/antique store, etc. So, does that make it rare? Of course not. I've never come across it in any of those places yet because I'm on the West Coast. But they're always on eBay.

Even if it's something that's always on eBay? I don't think there's ever been a time longer than a few weeks where a Tiki Bob mug wasn't available on eBay. As such, they seem somewhat accessible and therefore, not very rare (IMHO). As a side note, the price that people pay for them doesn't make them rare.

I guess we just disagree...

I don't really disagree with you (that much.)

For the sake of curiosity, I typed "Tiki Bob" into ebay and found one auction that closes in 2 days and the price is already at $36.99! Sheesh! That's kinda pricey for something so common. So, there's one Tiki Bob on eBay, and I've never seen one in my explorations at stores and flea markets. So it's kinda rare, kinda not. I do know that I've never paid that much for a single Tiki Mug!

Personally I have a bit of a bias against ebay, so my opinion is a little colored. It somehow feels like cheating to me. :)

--kingslod

On 2003-06-10 15:49, kingslod wrote:
For the sake of curiosity, I typed "Tiki Bob" into ebay and found one auction that closes in 2 days and the price is already at $36.99! Sheesh! That's kinda pricey for something so common.

Yeah, I know - and I could never figure out why either! Seems like its the "going rate" for Tiki Bob's no matter how many are on eBay at the time.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-06-10 18:47 ]

K

On 2003-06-10 18:46, PolynesianPop wrote:

On 2003-06-10 15:49, kingslod wrote:
For the sake of curiosity, I typed "Tiki Bob" into ebay and found one auction that closes in 2 days and the price is already at $36.99! Sheesh! That's kinda pricey for something so common.

Yeah, I know - and I could never figure out why either! Seems like its the "going rate" for Tiki Bob's no matter how many are on eBay at the time.

$36.99?

That's nothing, I've been looking at Tiki Bob's for a while now with mild amusement bordering on disdain. The huge fluctuations in price for this mug are a bit odd to say the least.

For instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611076514&category=850

One of these days I'll add one to my collection, but good grief...what the hell is going on over there on eBay?

pele

Most desirable mug for me has to be the Ren Clark polynesian Village decapated head.

Being that Ren Clark was a magician, I'm a magician, he liked tiki, I like tiki, I believe I should have one. Maybe Someday.

I'd trade one of my Trader Vic sufferin Bastard mugs for one..hint hint.

Erich Troudt

Pages: 1 35 replies