Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Show us your KARTE PUNCH Mugs and other mis-prints!

Pages: 1 12 replies

M

I found this recently;

I didn't realise it was spelled wrong until today! "Karate" my foot!

Soooo...what misprinted, misspelled mugs do YOU have?

My lil' pet peeve:

This misspelling of the plural of "Tiki" is not unique to items from this location, I have seen it used in print all over the place, up to today. It's in the same vein than"it's" being used for "its"

Maybe this is a good place to explain MY constant, deliberate "misspelling" of the word with a capital T:

While it would be grammatically more correct that when referring to carvings and mugs, they would be spelled "tikis" and "tiki mugs", I decided early on that Tiki looks better than tiki, and that with each printing of the name I would invoke the name of HIM, the demi-god Tiki - since all "tikis" ARE likenesses of that deity, and that's how they came to be named so. So far I have gotten away with it.

(edited for Spell Check :lol: )

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-05-25 12:03 ]

Have you also noticed that Spell Check despises Tiki, no matter if it's capitalized or not?

Bear

D
dcman posted on Wed, May 25, 2011 4:50 PM

I don't have a photo - but I have a mug made in "Hina" rather than China.

dcman

The dyslexic "Tiki Fram" mug:

DZ

The Tiki Farm mug made for the Caliente Tropics, located in "Palm Springs, SA".

While the mug is available in green and yellow, the mis-print is only on the blue version. (Check yours - if you have a blue one, it's probably mis-printed!)

This thread makes me want to go through and check every one of my mugs! lol.

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 26, 2011 1:00 PM

The "TANGO" Hut Mug by Kirby

Not my photo. I stole it off Ooga Mooga

Let me know if anyone comes across a "Karate Punk" mug...Im's a needing one!

PTD

J

"Sail with Harvay's"

My dad picked this up at Harvey's back in the '70s.

Since the request was for "...mugs and OTHER misprints" (and we might be running out of mugs soon), here is a classic:

There is the island nation of TONGA, and the Polynesian God of the Sea, TANGAROA, but there ain't no Tongaroa.
But this misspelling has been perpetuated to such a degree that one might have to accept it as a typical faux pas of Polynesian Pop :)

Cool stuff! PTD, what is a Karate Punk mug-any images?

Pages: 1 12 replies