Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

found eight chin tiki mugs-FOR SALE

Pages: 1 30 replies

I just found eight chin tiki mugs here in detroit! all but one with original foil sticker, should i sell them as a set? and is ebay the only option? any ideas? eight mile tiki....detroit

[ Edited by: eight mile tiki 2011-05-29 15:41 ]

[ Edited by: eight mile tiki 2011-05-29 18:09 ]

[ Edited by: eight mile tiki 2011-05-30 06:30 ]

YOU HIT A JACKPOT. NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE COULD AFFORD TO BUY ALL OF THEM AT ONCE. ARE THEY PEANUT MUGS OR THE BROWN BUFF TIKI HOLDING THE SIGN SAYING CHIN TIKI?
I WOULD CHOOSE A PRICE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH AND OFFER THEM HERE FIRST, ANY THAT DON'T SELL COULD GO ON EBAY. NO ONE WOULD WANT TO USE THESE TO DRINK FROM THEY ARE SPECIAL. WENDY

PS ALL CAPS DUE TO BROKEN RT ARM

E

Nice score!

TRIED TO GET A PHOTO ON NO LUCK? THERE THE TIKI HOLDING THE SIGN CHIN TIKI, THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!

[ Edited by: eight mile tiki 2011-05-30 06:25 ]

If anybody is interested...I am selling the mugs for $160.00 each or $1200.00 for the set of eight. You pay for shipping and insurance or you can pick them up here in Detroit.

THAT'S A VERY GOOD PRICE. WE HAVE ONE SO I'M GOING TO JUST SHARE YOUR THREAD WITH FRIENDS. WENDY

Thanks Wendy for all your help. Anything your looking for that I can keep an eye out for?

HI EMT, I HOPE YOU GET A GOOD RESPONSE TO YOUR POST. I DO NOT HAVE A PHOTO OF THE MUG WE ARE SEARCHING FOR BUT HERE IS ITS BROTHER. WENDY

SAME MUG JUST A DIFFERENT TIKI.

thank you, will be looking!

M

Your best bet is to sell them individually on eBay. Sell one every couple weeks will bring you the most $$.

The going rate on eBay is about $150.

Too rich for me, unless you want to trade.

E

Can't swing $150, but PM me if you're interested in trading.

T

I think that it's interesting that the person that just scored these mugs just created an account. I believe that the owners of Chin Tiki reported that they had mugs stolen from the premises during the filming of the movie 8 Mile. Is it a coincidence that the seller's name is "eight mile tiki?"

to tikileafy..... first of all did you bother to read the rules of this site? NO? I'M SURE THAT THE GOOD MEMBERS OF THIS SITE WOULD AGREE THAT YOUR COMMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! YES I DID JUST JOIN, I HAD SOMETHING I THOUGHT THE MEMBERS OF TIKI CENTRAL WOULD LIKE! I ALSO SEE YOU JUST JOIN WITH ONLY ONE POSTING DIRECTED TOWARDS ME, WHAT IS THAT ABOUT? NOW LET ME ADDRESS YOUR COMMENTS,NO.1 BORN AND LIVING IN DETROIT,HENCE THE NAME EIGHT MILE TIKI, NO.2 I HAVE MY RECEIPT FROM THE CHARITY SHOP WHERE I PURCHASED THE MUGS IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO SEND IT TO YOU! PLEASE PROVIDE YOU EMAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT!!!! NO.3. AND YES I DID CONTACT TIKI CENTRAL ABOUT YOU COMMENTS!!!

Aaaaah... TIKI TREASURE! Brings out the worst in men:

I am the last person to glaze over the grave robberies and desecrations committed by the Eight Mile crew at the Chin Tiki, I witnessed the aftermath. But direct accusations like this should not be dealt out so lightly, if they are a mere hunch and nothing else. It is good to police the vintage Tiki market, but don't call a man a thief unless you can produce the stinkin' badges.

I WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ON THE MOVIE.

10 YEARS AGO A FRIEND OF MINE WAS STANDING AT THE DOORWAY TO CHIN TIKI. MR. CHIN THE OWNER WALKED UP. HE SAID HE HAD BEEN THINKING OF OPENING IT UP AGAIN. HE INVITED MY FRIEND INSIDE. TODD WHO IS ALSO A MEMBER OF TC WAS GIVEN THE GRAND TOUR. HE TOLD MR. CHIN THAT HE WAS A MUG COLLECTOR AND TOGETHER THEY SEARCHED. THERE WAS NOTHING NOT EVEN ONE ASHTRAY WITH THE NAME ON IT AND NO MUGS. MR. CHIN APOLOGIZED. MY FRIEND THOUGHT HE'D HIT THE JACKPOT TO HAVE BEEN INSIDE WITH THE OWNER. MR. CHIN HAS SINCE PASSED ON.

SO NOW THIS THREAD CAN BE ALL ABOUT SELLING THESE TERRIFIC MUGS, WENDY

Watched the movie 8-Mile the other day, Chin Tiki is featured and this mug. :wink:

Would love to have one, I could go $75. :wink:

Paul

HEY WENDY! I WAS TELLING ANOTHER MEMBER I THOUGHT THE CHIN MUGS MUST HAVE BEEN SAVED BY SOMEONE THAT WENT TO THE CHIN TIKI OFTEN AND THEY MUST HAVE JUST SAVED THEM, I DID ESTATE CLEAN OUTS AND YOU GET A FEEL FOR HOW PEOPLE LIVED OVER THE YEARS THE FOIL LABLE WOULD HAVE WASH OFF IF THEY WERE USED,AND ALL THE INSIDES ARE CLEAN! I HAVE AN OLDER FRIEND IN HIS 70'S WHO WENT TO CHIN TIKI ALL THE TIME WHEN HE WORKED DOWNTOWN, THEY ALSO HELD ALOT OF THE AREAS HIGH SCHOOL PROMS THERE! BY THE WAY THE MUG HAS THAT PEANUT FINISH ON THE BACK

Here is the Otagiri mug line up for 1969, showing the mug on the upper right (without being personalized):

It did not show in their '68 line up, so it might be from that (or after that) year. Not to doubt your expertise, but the high number of mugs, combined with the unharmend foil stickers (that I assume look like this, but better) ...

...does somewhat suggest they might have come from the restaurant's storage, perhaps the gift shop? Wish I could afford one, but that price is outta my reach.

]

[ Edited by: eight mile tiki 2011-06-01 14:49 ]

so what are the odds that this person that maybe "saved" a chin tiki mug after every visit, got a pristine mug, unused and and with perfect foil sticker everytime they visited? I'm just sayin- that theory doesn't hold a mai tai..... I think sven is on the right track - old dead stock, probably from storage or a gift shop....these mugs were most likely never used at all based on their condition.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-06-01 15:10 ]

few photo of labels not "pristine" one folded under, ones slid from it original spot ones missing all placed differently like all other made in japan items of that era

...damn...... ya got me.

M

Purty!

Payment sent!

Thanks,

Paul

E

EIGHT CHINS? Haven't these mugs heard of the grapefruit diet???

Oh...I get it. :wink:

Got a package in the post today. Very well packed and in minty condition, I can't recommend this seller enough!

Paul

thanks Paul again! im glad your happy and that it was mailed to you safe!!! ,still have four left! one had a flaw on the nose and afew bits of clay under the glaze ,i think that one will go for 75.00 i have photos! if you know anyone 125.00 on the others,......pleasure selling to you!!!....Rick

HERE ARE THE PHOTOS OF THR CHIN MUG WITH THE FACTORY FLAWS UNDER THE GLAZE/WASH, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK?.....RICK

[ Edited by: eight mile tiki 2011-06-21 05:39 ]

[ Edited by: eight mile tiki 2011-06-21 05:44 ]

Pages: 1 30 replies