Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Rykodisc Arthur Lyman CD Reissues...

Pages: 1 10 replies

I've been thinking about expanding my Arthur Lyman CD collection and pulled out my mid/late '90s Rykodisc reissues. I own "Taboo,""Taboo 2," and "Hawaiian Sunset." Are the other Arthur Lyman Rykodisc reissues (i.e. "Leis Of Jazz," "The Legend Of Pele") worth seeking out and picking up before they're sold out and out of print forever?

Thanks.

M

Arthur Lyman = Worth It

On 2011-05-30 15:58, Mashuka wrote:
Arthur Lyman = Worth It

So...if I can find 'em, get 'em, right? :)

M

I've found there is really no Arthur Lyman I don't like.

Maybe the later 70's era ones, where there is electric bass instead of upright bass and featurering his off-key duaghter singing....those are not his best.

If you can find Lei's of Jazz...that one IS one of his best!

On 2011-05-31 10:09, lucas vigor wrote:
Maybe the later 70's era ones, where there is electric bass instead of upright bass and featurering his off-key duaghter singing....those are not his best.

If you can find Lei's of Jazz...that one IS one of his best!

Will do. What about "The Legend Of Pele"? It looks cool but the reviews on Amazon rate the sound quality as sub-par at best. I find that quite odd, since a lot of care and concern seems to have gone into these Rykodisc reissues. "Taboo" and "Hawaiian Sunset" sound divine, if a bit on the quiet side. But hey, that means the music has dynamics! Can anyone comment on the fidelity of "The Legend Of Pele"?

"Legend of Pele" is a MUST HAVE!!!!

Also, all the Ryko discs are currently out of print!

The Collectors Choice label re-issued 9 Arthur Lyman two-fer CD's. That's 18 albums!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check'em out here............

http://search.ccmusic.com/index?D=arthur+lyman&Nty=1&N=0&Dk=0&Ntt=arthur+lyman

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2011-05-31 12:28, Jeff Central wrote:
"Legend of Pele" is a MUST HAVE!!!!

Also, all the Ryko discs are currently out of print!

The Collectors Choice label re-issued 9 Arthur Lyman two-fer CD's. That's 18 albums!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check'em out here............

http://search.ccmusic.com/index?D=arthur+lyman&Nty=1&N=0&Dk=0&Ntt=arthur+lyman

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Thanks for the info, Jeff!

In addition to the Rykodisc discs I mentioned, I also own all 9 of the Collectors' Choice Arthur Lyman twofers. I liked 'em so much, I'm seeking out more Arthur Lyman on CD!

So, "The Legend Of Pele" is a great album, but on CD does it sound great?

Looks like I better scoop up these Rykodisc reissues fast!

You can hear many Arthur Lyman albums using the Microsoft Zune Pass. You don't need a Zune device and you can get a 14 day trial pass for free at http://www.zune.net. I have the pass and find it a great deal at $14.99 a month, which besides an unlimited music subscription gets you 10 free MP3's per month. I've downloaded a ton of exotica using my Zune Pass from Lyman, Les Baxter, Martin Denny and others.

I should mention that if you don't have a Zune device or a Windows Phone you can only play the music on a computer. Without a Zune you can download music to a PC with the Zune software. If you don't have a PC I think you can still stream any of the music using a web browser.

Virtually all the Lyman albums are now available in digital form, either as a download via iTunes or Amazon, or on CD. I'm not sure if the Rykodisc CDs are out of print or not. They appear to be readily available from Amazon. I can highly reccomend "Hawaiian Sunset","Hawaiian Sunset Vol 2","Bahia","Taboo 2", those are my favs, although, as stated before, you really can't go wrong with Lyman albums.

Pages: 1 10 replies