Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tucson AZ Help Needed

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hi,

The Wife and I are headed to Tucson where we've rented a house for vacation in a few weeks, and I have a few questions for TCers in that area.

-Any rec's for good liquor stores? I've browsed Bevmo, Total Wines & More and a couple of small stores online, and I can't find any demerara rum (not looking for 151 dem, just regular El Dorado or Lemon Hart), nor can I find Coruba (all I see is Myers). I don't see much in the way of Rhum Agricole either-I'll need something older like St James Hors D'age/Extra Old or La Favourite Vieux for Mai Tais.

-What's the skinny on the Kon Tiki? It looks like an authentic old school Tiki bar & restaurant.

-Any other Tiki in the area I should know about? Anwhere to buy mugs in the area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Craig

PS-Don't know why my profile says that I've only have made two posts, I made dozens of posts here on TC.

[ Edited by: Cincy_Tiki_Craig 2011-05-30 16:45 ]

Kon Tiki.

Thanks for the reply Ben. Good drinks/food/atmosphere there?

H

Craig, you might want to double check with the Total Wine location in Tucson. The one here in Redondo Beach carries both the 12yr and 15yr El Dorado Demerara. If the Tucson location doesn't stock it, maybe they can special order it and have it arrive in time for you to pick it up.

Thanks Hakalugi! That's a great idea! They might not have it listed on their website but might have it in stock. That was the case with the Total Wine location in Naples, FL- I spent $$ shipping Demerara down to our vacation home, only to find that they stocked brands not listed on their website. I think that i'l call the store directly.

I live here so I think Hakalugi is probably right. Check out the Total Wines place when you get here. There's a place up on North Oracle Rd. called Beverage Warehouse you might want to try. The real local places probably won't have it.
And yeah, Kon Tiki is the place and better during the summer 'cause the college kids are gone, so it's a lot quieter. And don't forget Lucky Wishbone on Swan Rd. and Broadway ( a block from Kon Tiki). Best fried chicken in town, at least I think so. I've been going there since 1963.

I loved the Kon Tiki, but not because the food and drinks were great (but it was "okay"), but because the decor is amazing. It has a really great old-school restaurant feel that reminded me of the first time I saw Sam's Seafood or Damon's.

I was also there in the quieter summer months during an afternoon, so the clientele/music (etc.) didn't bother me at all and I felt the manager did his best to make our small group happy.

I hope to make it back there some day.

Pages: 1 6 replies