Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

The return of emspace!!!

Pages: 1 33 replies

E

Yup, three - count em - exclamation points!!!

Been talking with homeboy Sweet Daddy Tiki and am feeling the need to share in the TC aloha again. I miss you guys! Gecko and all others who left messages after I left, mahalo, you guys rock.

Oliver is now 8 and in grade 2, I have worked some big corporate writing jobs that pretty much sucked as far as having a life goes, so now looking for the next thing. Am taking up steel guitar at last (much more on this when there's time). Life goes on, eh?

Me ke aloha pumehana,
em.

Whoa! EMSPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a true blast from the past! Welcome back! I was a new member here about the time you left!

E

On 2011-05-31 10:40, lucas vigor wrote:
Whoa! EMSPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a true blast from the past! Welcome back! I was a new member here about the time you left!

I remember you lucas, love that "From" line! :D

PS your bossa recordings are superfine!

[ Edited by: emspace 2011-05-31 10:43 ]

Man, you had an 8 year break from this forum! Sadly, some of the people you mentioned don't post often or at all any more..and if you have not at least been lurking to see what's been going on....many of the original TC people are gone..as are the bands they liked and whatnot....it's kind of like you are rip van winkle!

E

On 2011-05-31 10:44, lucas vigor wrote:
Man, you had an 8 year break from this forum! Sadly, some of the people you mentioned don't post often or at all any more..and if you have not at least been lurking to see what's been going on....many of the original TC people are gone..as are the bands they liked and whatnot....it's kind of like you are rip van winkle!

But better looking! I hope.

Yep, I knew that, but it's OK. New people to meet. For those who don't know me:

First trip to Hawaii was as a kid in 1968, saw Apollo 8 astronauts land at Hickam Field and loads of other truly amazing experiences. Had family there at the time (wish I still did!). This started lifetime obsession with the beauty of Hawaii and its people. I have a modest number of Coco Joes and used to have a big mug collection that sadly had to be sold off for financial reasons (sniff!). Am most comfortable in aloha shirts, not always practical in this climate. Am married to an American girl, hope to move to islands some day. Am crazy about Hawaiian music and am learning uke and steel guitar. Tiki bars rule. Mid-century Tiki interiors are the way modern urban humans were meant to live. Surf and exotica are awesome music though for me it's Hawaiian first.

Not much else to say just now. Anyone who needs a good copywriter/proofer/editor, get in touch. :)

Cool to have you back emspace!

Welcome back,
we never conversed, but I remember reading some of yer old posts,
while reading the archives when I joined.

just for shits and giggles,
here is your goodbye thread.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8026&forum=1&start=0

Jeff(btd)

E

On 2011-05-31 11:31, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Cool to have you back emspace!

Thanks Slacks. Cool to BE back.

aloha,

Wow! that is really exciting to have you back... sorry I missed you in Vancouver way back then...

Best,

Phillip

E

On 2011-05-31 11:36, bigtikidude wrote:
Welcome back,
we never conversed, but I remember reading some of yer old posts,
while reading the archives when I joined.

just for shits and giggles,
here is your goodbye thread.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=8026&forum=1&start=0

Jeff(btd)

I dunno if I'm going to giggle bigtikidude, but I might just shit if I read that again. :wink:

Thanks man.

whoa! emspace!

great to see you around after all these years. i did kind of wonder what happened to you every now and then.

j$

E

On 2011-05-31 11:38, Phillip Roberts wrote:
aloha,

Wow! that is really exciting to have you back... sorry I missed you in Vancouver way back then...

Best,

Phillip

Thank you Philip, I'm going to try to live up the notion of it being exciting, but hopefully no politics. :)

E

On 2011-05-31 11:51, Johnny Dollar wrote:
whoa! emspace!

great to see you around after all these years. i did kind of wonder what happened to you every now and then.

j$

Hey Johnny! Well, the incredible truth is that I was marooned on a tiny uncharted island all this time. Just me, some big tasty coconut crabs, lots of fruit, and lots and lots of Spam. :)

Who needs ya? Punk.

Got a guest bedroom?

M

Am taking up steel guitar
Everybody on TC needs to say these words!

E

On 2011-05-31 12:11, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Who needs ya? Punk.

Got a guest bedroom?

For you SDT, damn right.

...ya old bastid.

E

On 2011-05-31 12:23, msteeln wrote:

Am taking up steel guitar
Everybody on TC needs to say these words!

Amen! Took me long enough to make the commitment, but I am now the proud owner of a travel-size Weissenborn (made by a luthier right near me but bought from a dude in Minnesota) and am waiting delivery on a Rickenbacker BD6. And my koa/tortoise/rope Big Island soprano uke is a thing of astounding beauty. :)

Oh, and because I am a greedy little pig - I'm buying one of the new National hollow neck tricones. Most I've ever spent on anything in my life that didn't have four wheels.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

[ Edited by: emspace 2011-05-31 12:33 ]

Welcome (back) to TC emspace, you can never have to many Mikes. PM me and I'll send you a list of the current trouble makers - you can either avoid them or hang out with them, your choice :P

M

Just joined up, and sent the message to my bud http://www.bobbyingano.com and the steel world http://www.steelguitarforum.com (your 'happy childhood' tag rings a bell...) Best of luck with the blog, and in helping spread the gospel!
I can dig the commitment aspect, took me 20 years to settle down enuf to give Jerry Byrd my full studious attention as The Man so deserved. I think you'll love your new Ricky, 'shoes' are tops, and I'm jealous over the Nat.! What's the maker's info on your Weisse', sounds sweet, might as well give him some shout.
Keep pounding away here on TC, the heathen must see the light, we'll save their steel deficient souls!
Here's my meager contribution to the intraweb steel gods - http://www.hwnsge.5u.com to which I am struggling to include your intro info and website addy, it currently sends me elsewhere. Check it out and maybe spot the problem, please!

E

On 2011-05-31 13:39, MadDogMike wrote:
Welcome (back) to TC emspace, you can never have to many Mikes. PM me and I'll send you a list of the current trouble makers - you can either avoid them or hang out with them, your choice :P

So true about the Mikes. PM coming MadDog!

E

On 2011-05-31 13:53, msteeln wrote:
Just joined up, and sent the message to my bud http://www.bobbyingano.com and the steel world http://www.steelguitarforum.com (your 'happy childhood' tag rings a bell...) Best of luck with the blog, and in helping spread the gospel!
I can dig the commitment aspect, took me 20 years to settle down enuf to give Jerry Byrd my full studious attention as The Man so deserved. I think you'll love your new Ricky, 'shoes' are tops, and I'm jealous over the Nat.! What's the maker's info on your Weisse', sounds sweet, might as well give him some shout.
Keep pounding away here on TC, the heathen must see the light, we'll save their steel deficient souls!
Here's my meager contribution to the intraweb steel gods - http://www.hwnsge.5u.com to which I am struggling to include your intro info and website addy, it currently sends me elsewhere. Check it out and maybe spot the problem, please!

PM on the way, o man of steel!

8T

Been wondering what happened to you. I always remembered the one thing I learned from you. What is an emspace?
:

An emspace is the space occupied by the widest character in any typeface, usually the letter "m". Also in keyboarding, the width of one spacebar stroke.

Why? Good question.
em

After all these years you just wash up on the shores of TC again. I'm amazed you remembered your password.
Nice to have you back. I guess we should never give up on all of the "others" that have checked out over the years. 8FT

E

On 2011-05-31 14:49, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Been wondering what happened to you. I always remembered the one thing I learned from you. What is an emspace?
:

An emspace is the space occupied by the widest character in any typeface, usually the letter "m". Also in keyboarding, the width of one spacebar stroke.

Why? Good question.
em

After all these years you just wash up on the shores of TC again. I'm amazed you remembered your password.
Nice to have you back. I guess we should never give up on all of the "others" that have checked out over the years. 8FT

Never say never! I'm amazed I remembered the password too - and in fact was going to ask SDT to contact Hanford and ask him to help out, because my email address has changed too and I can't use the password retrieval form. But behold, even years of dedicated alcohol abuse hasn't fogged the old neurons. :)

Thanks 8FT!

i was trying to think back that long ago... i think that was about when a thread about "tiki fonts" were a thread-locking offense!

E

On 2011-06-01 06:16, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i was trying to think back that long ago... i think that was about when a thread about "tiki fonts" were a thread-locking offense!

Hmm, I can understand people finding "Tiki" and "computer" to be mutually exclusive...but then were would we all be? No Tiki Ohana (and thanks Hanford for moving this thread, makes sense)!

em.

P
pablus posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2011 6:15 PM

Welcome home. Aloha.

H

Hot damn! Emspace! That name is a sight for sore eyes. Good to hear from you again!

E

On 2011-06-01 18:15, pablus wrote:
Welcome home. Aloha.

Aloha pablus, and thanks.

E

On 2011-06-01 19:54, Humuhumu wrote:
Hot damn! Emspace! That name is a sight for sore eyes. Good to hear from you again!

Humuhumu, I'm gonna try to live up that assessment. Thanks for the sweet welcome!

Hey you Wanker!
Welcome back. :)

E

On 2011-06-06 11:35, Unga Bunga wrote:
Hey you Wanker!
Welcome back. :)

Wha...how did YOU know I'm a wanker Bunga? I'm pretty quiet about what I do the rest of the time I'm online. :wink:

Thanks man.

em

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2011 5:08 PM

Where'd you go? Were you Lost EmSpace?

E

Now that is a reply I can truly relate to...as an old fart who remembers stuff from the Sixties, that is. :)

Holy Crap!

Welcome Back!

Pages: 1 33 replies