Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Keeping a fridge outside?

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

I have a small (12x8) covered bar with a mini-fridge built in for juice, mixers and the like. I was hoping to build a small rolling L-shaped bar to go behind where the bartender stands and put two more bigger dorm fridges in there to keep beer and wine for the non-rum drinkers. Has anyone done this before to give me some advice and /or inspiration? I can't afford a $2000 outdoor fridge so buying $30 craigslist mini-fridges and plugging them into a rolling countertop seemed like the way to go.
Thanks
Tom

T
TWFLA posted on Wed, Jun 1, 2011 1:40 PM

I also have an outdoor bar. 12x22 Screen Enclosure. I have a kegerator and a small dorm fridge for various beverages. I have had the bar for the better part of 4 years with only one issue which was a $9 touch pad for the kegerator due to humidity. The only other issue you would probably need to manage is frost on the freezer section of dorm fridge. Most kegerators have self defrost if you are thinking of that route. I also thought that +$2K was a bit steep for a fridge that is "outdoors" for the price of a Sam's club special you could replace every year for 10 years and still be ahead.

Just my .02 good luck with the build!

[ Edited by: TWFLA 2011-06-01 13:41 ]

My builders, Mullis Construction, Inc. (http://www.mullisconstructioninc.com) built my tiki deck and recommended an RV fridge. It's not a big, expensive fridge, but not a dorm sized either. Not ideal for your portable design, but, it was cost effective and it's just the perfect in between size for our tikibar outside.

M

Make sure you have proper ventilation for any style fridge you get. Normal Dorm-style fridges are not intended for built in usage. SO, if you DO set a Free standing (not built-in design) fridge, make sure there is proper ventilation all around the sides on top. Also, if you could add ventilation to the back on the enclosure, it would be good. This is of course, if you were planning on setting your fridge under a counter or in some sort of enclosure.

Pages: 1 3 replies