Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist 6-1-11

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: June 1, 2011

The tunes on this week’s show followed a secret theme. The first listener to guess – or come close to guessing -- what that theme was won a free CD: It Might As Well Be Spring by the jazz saxophonist Ike Quebec. The winner was TC’s own Tikigap!

Next week I will be away and we will repeat the broadcast of the April 20 jazz-tinged show. I will have an all-new show the following week.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge can be heard every Wednesday from 5 to 6 p.m. Eastern Time on the Internet at: http://www.fcac.org/webr Unfortunately, this show is only broadcast live; there are no recorded shows archived that you can listen to. However, some fans do record the show’s live broadcasts on their computers to listen to in the future.

1. “Springtime's Here Again” the 1938 song by George Formby from the collection: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

2. “Life Just Got Sweeter” by the Hula Honeys from their CD: Life Just Got Sweeter, with Ginger Johnson on Tenor & Robyn Kneubuhl on Baritone Ukuleles & Vocals, Joe Costello on Guitar, Jeff Smith on Drums and Cliff Collins on String Bass.

3. “Lei` Ohu” by Bob Brozman on steel guitar and Ledward Kaapana on slack key guitar from the CD: In the Saddle.

4. “Crushed Flowers (In My Lei)” by Na Leo from their CD: Where I Live There Are Rainbows.

5. “Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White,” two back-to-back versions by Les Baxter and Billy May from the anthology: Ultra Lounge: Bongoland – Spicy Latin Licks – Hot Voodoo Chicks.

6. “I Got the Spring Fever Blues” the 1954 release included in the recording: Songs by Kay Starr.

7. “All the Things You Are” performed by Mark Murphy from his CD: Songbook Composed by Jerome Kern & Oscar Hammerstein for the 1930 Broadway Musical: Very Warm for May, featuring Mark Murphy on Piano, Richie Cole on Alto Sax and Slide Hampton on Trombone.

8. “Younger Than Springtime” the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic by Oscar Peterson from the two-CD collection: The Will to Swing, taken From 1971 LP: Great Connection, Recorded In Villingen, Germany, featuring Niels Henning Orsted Peterson on Bass and Louis Hayes on Drums.

9. “I Didn't Know What Time It Was” the 1957 recording by Billie Holiday from the CD Box Set: Lady Sings the Blues

10. “Skylark” by Ella Fitzgerald from her 1964 LP: The Johnny Mercer Songbook, with music by Hoagy Carmichael and the orchestra arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.

11. “Passion Flower” the Billy Strayhorn composition performed by Duke Ellington on his 1953 recording: Piano Reflections, featuring Wendell Marshall on bass, and Butch Ballard on drums.

12. “Up Jumped Spring” by Freddie Hubbard From his 1966 LP: Backlash, featuring Albert Dailey on Piano, James Spaulding on Alto Sax, Bob Cunningham on Bass and Otis Ray Appleton on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies