Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Hulabilly - an awesome Hawaiian swing band!

Pages: 1 1 replies

I post this info with trepidation since as far as I can tell, their one and only CD is out of print and doesn't appear to have been resurrected via iTunes or Amazon MP3. Nevertheless, this is a band I got into a number of years ago whose mix of ukulele, Hawaiian steel guitar, and upright bass is so darn buoyant (bubbly, even), I thought many of you here would appreciate them and maybe give them the following I felt they always deserved.

The band is called HULABILLY (they're from Brooklyn!) and their lone album was titled "Until She Comes Around." The music is a cross between traditional Hawaiian and western swing, with a little hot jazz club thrown in. They may, at times, lean a bit too heavily on the country western influences, but the ukulele is featured so prominently in their tunes, each and every one has that laid back beachy feel of classic Hawaii.

Hulabilly's first single was "Gods Must Be Crazy" but it seemingly went nowhere outside of the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area. And even saying that, it isn't like they had any exposure whatsoever on radio or local club scene, as far as I can tell. It was a fluke that I discovered them and I'm so glad I did!

Take a listen to "Gods Must Be Crazy" on their all but defunct MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/myhulabilly/music/songs/Gods-Must-Be-Crazy-23523243

Hulabilly used to have a web site with more band info and the story behind the recording of "Until She Comes Around." Sadly, even that seems to have disappeared.

I think DigiTiki needs a copy of "Until She Comes Around." I'd love for it to be featured on the Quiet Village podcast!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Hulabilly as much as I do. Best of luck tracking down their album if you like the song posted above. For more info on the band and the album, check out this review from Retrospectmag.com: http://www.retrospectmag.com/reviews/2004/179-hulabilly-until-she-comes-around.html

Happy listening!
:D

[ Edited by: DejaVoodoo 2011-06-02 18:56 ]

Hey there,

since Wuppertal, Germany is a bit too far away to go and brose some New York second hand music stores, does anyone know how I could get my hands on a copy of Hulabilly's "Until She Comes Around"?

Or has a good Idea where I should continue my searchings?

Thanks in advance,
regards,
-J.-

Pages: 1 1 replies