Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Anyone from Portland?

Pages: 1 17 replies

We just moved here and don't know anyone. I could really get into a BBQ and half a dozen Suffering Bastards!

M

Yes, there are some good tiki folk in Portland. Plus the Tiki-Kon event in mid July;
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39325&forum=4&start=last&7

RB

Welcome to the Rose City! Tiki Kon coming up in a little over a month...details should be coming soon.

"Awesome! Totally Awesome"

M

Hey -- Details are emerging. Trader Vics Portland location for Friday Night Party... Stay Tuned this week for more every day!

Nice to meet you Handsome Dan,another Portlander here looking forward to Tiki Kon! You can usually find most of us hanging out at Thatch. We have a great bunch of people in the scene here.

I've been meaning to check out Thatch, haven't gotten down there yet. I also need to check The Alibi, but from what I've heard its mostly a karaoke bar. I drive by the Trader Vic's location every day on my way to work and it looks like its far from being done, of course I'm always driving by trying to squint and peek in.

E

Had to jump in here.

The Alibi does do Karaoke from time to time, but I've never witnessed it; I think it's only one or two nights per week. The times I've gone it's been pure relaxation and tiki enjoyment. I highly recommend visiting.

And - Welcome to Portland!

RB

Alibi: awesome vintage decor, tiki drinks mediocre at best, and karaoke EVERY night. Go early, take in the atmosphere, and get the hell out before karaoke starts
Thatch: also awesome vintage decor, great drinks, and no karaoke or lottery games

E

Karaoke every night? Guess I've just been lucky to miss it.

Agreed - the drinks at the Alibi are just okay.

I'm "friends" with The Alibi on Facebook and everyday they seem to post something karaoke related, like karaoke drink specials or pictures from last night's karaoke shin dig, yuck.

G

On my way to Portland tomorrow (Sat 6/11)! From a previous visit, I agree with the assessments here on the Alibi. Great Tiki decor...

Lousy drinks and music. I won't even address the karaoke. I bolted for the door before they could even think about starting that. The Alibi would be amazing in the right hands.

But Thatch overall has the right vibe. Nice dark space, vintage Tikis, good mix of exotica/lounge music, quiet booths, good pupus and drinks that don't suck. I can't wait to get back. :D

M

Welcome to Portland!

Trader Vics is opening at the end of June, July is Tiki Kon! What a great time for a polypop enthusiast to get here!

actually in Portland until Thursday.

anyone going to the thatch or the alibi? tomorro Tuesday or Wednesday??

I'm danlovestikis - Wendy my husband is wendylovestikis - Dan

I'd love to see a photo of you Handsome Dan just for fun.

At Elroyartspace in Portland there is a Tiki show going right now. You could meet tiki people there.

Portland, OR Elroy Artspace gallery is pleased to announce Scootiki: Mods & Gods , its second annual group exhibition of ‘Tiki Style’ fine art. This year is a curation of cross-culture icons: vintage scooters and Tiki – and offers some other significant changes and new features which are all unique in the world of gallery art, indeed!:

Cheers, Wendy

...thanks for the mention of our show!, Wendy... Okay, I finally joined Tiki Central - and glad to be here, Mahalo!...

Welcome! There are lots of Portland-Land tikiphiles.

You can actually go to the Alibi any night and just sit in the front. You won't even notice what is happening in the back. The drinks are nothing to get excited about. The food is bar grub. But, the decor is awesome.

Thatch of course, is great. Decor and drinks are wonderful. I wish they'd offer a few more food items, but I know the place is small and the kitchen even smaller.

Trader Vic's Portland is amazing. Have you gone, yet? They did a perfect job of merging the old with the new.

Teardrop Lounge does a tiki night every 3 months that is always well worth the wait. The menu is different each time and done by Blair Reynolds.

Bamboo Grove is a Hawaiian restaurant with a bar. Their drinks are Hawaiian style, but still tasty. Their food is great and their backroom is all kinds of kitch.

There's also the Rum Club. Which isn't tiki, but has lots of rum.

Lots of us have home tiki bars, as well. Once you start to know some of us in the crowd, I'm sure you;ll get invited to all the tiki parties that happen.

Aloha Dan,

Tonight is the 'official' opening of the Trader Vic's Portland. I'm actually DJing there tonight, so if you come on down, be sure and say hi, I will be in the lounge behind the turntables and in front of the 9 ft tiki!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=251082958243159

Right on, hope to meet you out and about soon. Will be hosting a regular tiki/exotica/lounge DJ night at TV's soon, once things settle with the opening, will be sure to let you know when that is happening.

-Drew
http://www.facebook.com/drewgroove

[ Edited by: drewgroove 2011-08-01 09:19 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies