Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anyone have the recipe for Mai Kai Black Magic?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I have been to the Mai Kai dozens of times...grew up in Hollywood. I have always loved this drink and have tried to reverse engineer to no avail. I see that there is a glass for sale as part of the Hukilau merchandise paying hommage to the drink, and in the picture is a drink card with partial recipe? Can someone help me with this? Thanks...Aaron.

S

I have made my version:

3 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Hiram Walker Coffee Brandy
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
2 oz Myer's
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Infused Syrup
Lemon Zest garnish

Blend for a few seconds with crushed ice and pour into snifter glass. Add more crushed ice to fill.

ANd I highly recommend Col. Tiki's Dark Magic.

My version is sort of the quick Victor Bergeron version of the original I think... Not a match, but, I'll be there tomorrow night to sample it again and work on it som emore!

Thanks Swanky, appreciate the recipe. Unfortunately, I won't be at the Hukialu this year. I have to work a dental convention in Orlando this weekend. Too bad....I wanted one of those mugs you designed...great job. The Hukilau is a great drink too!

Aaron

J

If you wrap up the Convention at, say, 5pm...you can be at the Mai-Kai by...uh...8pm. Just saying. :)

A

haven't had the drink, but for some reason I have this recipe jotted down in my cocktails notebook and have been meaning to try it:

1.5 oz each of dark rum, gold rum, and black coffee
3/4 oz each of lime, OJ, grapefruit, and honey
1/4 oz of Don's mix (grapefruit and cinnamon)
3 dashes each of bitters, and of pimento/allspice dram.

no idea where i got it from or whether its accurate to any degree.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-06-08 13:06 ]

I just tried this out-- I used Kahlua instead of black coffee-- it was awesome!!!

G

On 2011-06-08 13:05, thePorpoise wrote:
haven't had the drink, but for some reason I have this recipe jotted down in my cocktails notebook and have been meaning to try it:

thePorpoise, I don't know where you got the recipe, but it's actually quite good. I sub'ed 1 oz of a dry coffee liqueur for the 1.5 oz of coffee, used 3/4 oz honey syrup (1:1) instead of pure honey and 1/4 oz of cinnamon syrup in place of the Don's Mix (since there is grapefruit juice in the mix already), and 1/4 oz allspice dram rather than 3 dashes. Top mixed with crushed ice for 5 seconds and poured into a large snifter. The result is a very smooth Black Magic-like drink. The coffee is there but not overpowering and the honey works quite nicely. Very nice recipe! If you're a fan of the Mai-Kai's Black Magic you should definitely give this one a try. Without a side-by-side comparison, this might be the closest to the Black Magic of the recipes I've tried, although I doubt they use allspice dram. But they could use an allspice syrup.

S

That looks close to melintur's recipe from Thatch for the Dark Magic.

G

Not really. They're hardly close. Very different flavor profile.

That's very close to (what I believe) to be the recipe (from my own un-named sources). The rums are wrong, but the rest looks right. I'd say more, but all the tiki gods have not yet approved of my loose lips...

how come i cannot found the recipe of the original black magic , heard of it but would love to try it here back in south of france.. need to show my froogie mate some real drink

please help as much as u can

The recipe above is indeed very close to what is rumored to be a vintage Black Magic recipe that we are sharing in our latest review, which also features discussion of the special rum that makes the Black Magic unique:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/04/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-black-magic-emerges-from-the-shadows-as-a-true-classic/

Okole maluna!

The official blog of The Hukilau

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-04-05 11:20 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies