Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mai-tiki

Pages: 1 6 replies

Stopped by Mai-Tiki today in Cocoa Beach and saw some great new carvings by Wayne Coombs. The one I liked most had already been purchased by someone in Orlando for $1,400. It was huge. Beki said she and Wayne are really looking forward to seeing everyone at the Hukilau.

I recently stumbled upon a Mai-Tiki 4+ foot tiki made of (I am guessing) a palm at an antique shop here in Oceanside, California. In my humble opinion, It is really nice. They wanted $50 so, I gladly gave the proprietors their $50 & snatched it up... thought it was a deal. I had never heard of Mai-Tiki until I stumbled across your post & I am now happy to have a bit of history about this tiki. I don't know how long ago it was carved but it has made it from coast to coast.

BambooBob!

That's a hec of a price for a 4-foot tiki! I met Wayne at Hukilau and he was a real nice (and really big) guy! He was nice enough to pose for a picture for me on front of one of his creations:

S

Wayne is one of a kind. Love the guy! He has been so good to us.

I also met Wayne for the first time at Hukilau 03. I ended up stopping at his studio on the way home from Florida and bought two of his tiki carvings. My truck was filled to the top with tiki finds from the weekend but managed to find some extra room for the carvings. Wayne was such a great guy! Three cheers for Mai-tiki!!

He has a constant sense of humor. Wonderful person and incredible talent.

I don't know Wayne , but I like him already. Old-school carver with a sense of humor. This guys impact on tiki is HUGE. Just think, his style IS THE FLORIDA STYLE. 8 out of 10 carvers in florida have some MAI TIKI in them. I wonder if Wayne and Gary Busey(sp?) are related?

Pages: 1 6 replies