Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Simplified versions of Don´s Own Planter´s and Don´s Daiquiri from U.S. Navy charity cookbook?

Pages: 1 5 replies

N
n0ir posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 3:04 PM

Hello fellow Tikiphiles!

I sat in front of the TV (my wife hooked on "Teenwolf"... :S) and flipped through Berrys Sippin´ Safari once again when I stumbled on two drinks on page 123, where Berry haven´t listed the ingredients.

It is versions of Don´s Own Planter´s and Don´s Daiquiri from U.S. Navy charity cookbook (1950). According to Berry these were "simplified, shakable versions".

Simplified and shakable sound pretty sweet to me (having a really crappy mixer) but does anyone knows how to MAKE them?

H

ok here we go...
Don's own planter's
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 oz soda water
2 dashes angostura bitters
1 oz honey mix ( 1 part honey & 1 part water. Heat honey first then add water)
1 1/2 oz dark Jamaican rum
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum

served in a pilsener glass.

Don's Daiquiri
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz honey mix
2 oz light Puerto Rican rum

served in champagne glass.

N
n0ir posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2011 6:23 AM

Nice! Thank you!

Where did you read the reciepie? I have tried to find the mentioned book but couldn't find it (not even a mention on Google). Could be my search skills lacking though...

On 2011-06-09 06:23, n0ir wrote:
Nice! Thank you!

Where did you read the reciepie? I have tried to find the mentioned book but couldn't find it (not even a mention on Google). Could be my search skills lacking though...

Those recipes are in either Jeff Beachbum Berry's Grog Log or Remixed...if I remember correctly.

H

Why Beachbum Berry's Grog Log of course! :)

N
n0ir posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2011 12:18 PM

On 2011-06-09 08:57, hiltiki wrote:
Why Beachbum Berry's Grog Log of course! :)

I seem to have expressed myself poorly. I know the recipes are in Remixed but I interpreted the passage from Sippin´ Safari that the one published in the Navy charity cookbook were simplified versions of the two drinks?

The recipe for Don´s Planters Punch in Remixed differs from the recipe you wrote (and requires a blender). Does the recipe in Grog Log (Navy charity cookbook-version) differs from the one in Remixed (original version)?

I always thought Grog Log was included in Remixed but if there is recipes that is excluded I probably should try to buy it as well...

[ Edited by: n0ir 2011-06-15 05:54 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies