Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Awesome Homeschool Tiki Project-The Start.

Pages: 1 8 replies

Here is the result of a year project for my son's home school woodshop project. What a blast I had teaching him the safety and tips on how to measure and cut (in that order). My plans are to add to this for years. Please offer any good suggestions for the Polynesian look we are going for.

Side View

Front View

Very nice bar Big Daddy! My suggestion is to clutter it up a bit with some float lights, bottles of rum, bamboo, more bottles of rum, fish netting, still more bottles of rum... maybe a few more bottles of rum...

Hey thanks for the suggestion, am going to try to do just that!
The start of the clutter~

Got a few beers tangled up in the net!lol

N
newB24 posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2011 4:23 AM

Can you tell me what you used on the front of the bar? Is that 1" bamboo? Fence or individual?

It is 1 inch thick bamboo that was cut down from 6' pieces.
It was tough to cut them without it fraying out too much.

N

On 2011-06-09 08:25, BigDaddyTiki wrote:
It is 1 inch thick bamboo that was cut down from 6' pieces.
It was tough to cut them without it fraying out too much.

HMMM. I was just planning on using a fine tooth blade on the circular saw? Maybe a band saw would work better?

What did you use?

I guess I better do a search on cutting bamboo!

I just used what I had, that is probably why it did that. I used the plywood rip blade. Should have used a finer blade. Maybe tape it before cutting.?.?

There is no "measure and cut" in Tiki Bar building! I showed up to a build with a level and 2 pros who I won't name (BBB & BPB) nearly laughed me off the site! :lol:

Great looking bar there. What an awesome way to introduce your son to the joys of building something with your own two hands!

P
Polly posted on Sun, Jun 12, 2011 7:28 PM

Great Big Daddy!
If it's my bar, I'll add some float lights, lanterns and seashells.
AWESOME!

Pages: 1 8 replies