Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Anyone???????

Pages: 1 18 replies

S

Any "Rain Lamp" owners out there? Or at least a fond memory?

DZ

Indeed, I fondly remember them from my youth... I never actually knew anyone that had one; I mostly got to look at them when we went to Sears. I've always wanted one, and I picked up a really big one (36" or so) at an estate sale about a year ago. Brought it out to the garage to clean it and replace the oil, took it apart and, well... now I've got just pieces of a really big one (36" or so).

Anybody know how to put these back together?

S

When I was a kid, I went to the wedding of my favorite babysitter, her wedding cake actually had one of those things built into it.

I was very impressed!

My wife bought me one for Christmas a few years ago, removed the religious icon and replaced it with a Bosko ceramic tiki. It's hard to make out the details of the tiki in this photo.

I want to put a little thatching on the roof and cover the base with bamboo. It's on the list of things to do...

-Mug

On 2003-05-31 18:47, Doctor Z wrote:
Brought it out to the garage to clean it and replace the oil, took it apart and, well... now I've got just pieces of a really big one (36" or so).

Anybody know how to put these back together?

I've always believed that if you took something apart enough times, that after awhile you'd actually have 2 of them...

R
Rain posted on Sat, May 31, 2003 9:44 PM

On 2003-05-31 21:10, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I've always believed that if you took something apart enough times, that after awhile you'd actually have 2 of them...

as a kid i always thought taking something apart and putting it back together automatically fixed whatever was wrong with the thing. through this philosophy, i ended up with a completely destroyed Hulk record player, stereo receiver, and more than one clock. oh well.

R
Rain posted on Sat, May 31, 2003 9:46 PM

On 2003-05-31 20:46, TheMuggler wrote:
I want to put a little thatching on the roof and cover the base with bamboo. It's on the list of things to do...

Hey Muggler - why didn't you say so? I've got a bag full of raffia I used for thatching on an architecture project last year that I almost threw away yesterday. We could thatch that lamp in less than an hour, not counting drink-mixing time.

I have a large working one, but it is in that unattractive cream color. My employer gave it to me. She collects them. The store where I work used to have 9 of them, but my boss decided that the customers just wouldn't understand. Now they are all just rotting in the attic.-Sigh-

R
Rain posted on Sat, May 31, 2003 11:38 PM

On 2003-05-31 23:16, dipsomaniac23 wrote:
...9 of them... Now they are all just rotting in the attic.-Sigh-

?!?!?!? tell your boss to put them on ebay, or sell them here. i'd gladly buy one. :)

On 2003-05-31 20:16, inkylouise wrote:
When I was a kid, I went to the wedding of my favorite babysitter, her wedding cake actually had one of those things built into it.

I went to a wedding where they had one of those cakes too! It was amazing! I aspire to own one of those lamps but I havent seen them at the flea market or thrift shop.

The store where I work used to have 9 of them, but my boss decided that the customers just wouldn't understand. Now they are all just rotting in the attic.-Sigh-

What kind of store is this?? I'd say a midnight raid on that attic might be in order.

The store where I work used to have 9 of them, but my boss decided that the customers just wouldn't understand. Now they are all just rotting in the attic.-Sigh-

What kind of store is this?? I'd say a midnight raid on that attic might be in order.

i have a tabletop model that i was thinking of selling at our next garage sale. it's a venus lady statue kind. they also do come up for sale on ebay

I hate those things! I guess they remind me of bright velvet couches covered in plastic. Making your a$$ SWEAT.Disturbing childhood memories.

On 2003-06-02 11:41, thechikitiki wrote:
I hate those things! I guess they remind me of bright velvet couches covered in plastic. Making your a$$ SWEAT.Disturbing childhood memories.

If those memories also include poodles made out of plastic dry cleaning bags and scary ass dolls in crocheted Southern belle dresses, we had the same Gramma, Cuzzin Chiki!!!!!

S

Tiki rain lamp, how innovative, Muggler.

Thanks for the replies.

Wedding cake displays, more 70's genius at work.

Rain Lamps Live On

Hey Purple Jade, Did you ever see one of them barbie-type dolls with a crotched(sp?) ball gown that covered an extra roll of toilet paper. Damn mexicans got too much time and yarn on their hands.

[ Did you ever see one of them barbie-type dolls with a crotched(sp?) ball gown that covered an extra roll of toilet paper.

Every damn time I had to pee at Gramma's!

Pages: 1 18 replies