Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What is this statue????

Pages: 1 10 replies

S

Aloha! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this figurine/statue is? It came from Hawaii. Mahalo!

H

Africa

On 2011-06-09 21:11, sunnydebz wrote:
Aloha! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this figurine/statue is? It came from Hawaii. Mahalo!

At first I was wondering if it had Mayan or Aztec influence, but the look, and the mounting suggest not Hawaiian, and most likely mana from Papa New Guinea mana or maybe Africa.

But, it came from Hawaii? That's good enough for me to make it Hawaiian.

Excellent first post, Sunnydebz.

[ Edited by: christiki295 2011-06-09 22:35 ]

Hawaiian South West Design Craze from the 80's?

Looks African to me.

TS

I also see the afro-inspired look. I'm no expert, but it isn't the typical "Hawaiian God" or even typical South Seas art look. Traditional Hawaiian artists and carvers did not tinker with the looks of their Idols or traditional designs much. I'm thinking it was either imported to Hawaii via ?...OR it is some kind of afro-nesian inspired folk art piece.

*Since I had to edit;

I also can see bits of Mayan and Southwest too...This art piece might be a prime example of what happens when cultures get mixed together and watered down by the artist. Just wondering now if it might have been from the Mid Century(60's) Bohemian art movement...

*dang spelling!

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2011-06-10 09:28 ]

Damn those darn residents of Hawaii collecting, displaying and then selling African art! Consistancy- it's all we ask!

H

Double Faced Senufo Mask----Ivory Coast----Africa

Hottiki knows his stuff, I'm with him on this.

H

Hey it definitely looks like a historic piece, but I don’t see any shades of Hawaiian art or culture. It seems much like a two headed mask to me. It doesn’t seem much like African either but anyway we cannot rule out the possibility of Aztec or Mayan origin. In my opinion a better choice would be having a conversation about the artifact with some professional historians focusing on cultures of South America.

On 2011-08-26 23:46, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Hottiki knows his stuff, I'm with him on this.

Please see Hottiki's post above & get schooled.

Pages: 1 10 replies