Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Shag June 24 & 25 Disney world....

Pages: 1 15 replies

I haven't seen any comments yet and haven't started digging around much, but Shag and Disney World are planning special items for the 40th Anniversity of Disney World. Shag is already on board Disney cruise lines doing the great and wonderful "Sag" like thing. Soon he will be appearing at the park in Florida to sign special pieces he has done for Disney's 40th ... I am surprise there hasn't been much said about it. .....8)

Tic Tock , Tic Tock, the time draws closer....I've been unable to locate any specific Shag items for the special occasion. I watched a video of him on a cruise and him putting finishing touches on drawings...and talk of his joining the Disney team for the 40th and talk of him being at the park to do the signings....But can't locate the pictures of or specifics of...is there a void, a black Disney hole to stop a possible Tiki invasion...whats the secret password to the invisible link...8)

Sorry, no news here. But SHAG stuff has been really quiet here. I tried asking about the SHAG shirts exhibit and after all this time haven't found what is on display nor what was /is being sold. Usually a few people would post pictures of opening day but nothing here even after I inquired. Weird.
:(
Louis

Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary by SHAG
Artwork Sneak Peek

Walt Disney World is celebrating 40 years of magic. To commemorate this auspicious occasion, we have enlisted the help of a few of our friends to help up celebrate this major milestone.

Disney Theme Parks Merchandise is working with many well known artists to create all sorts of wonderful artwork offerings, among them well known artist SHAG has been approached to utilize his signature art style in the creation of a truly unique collection. Showcasing the original icons of the Magic Kingdom, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Polynesian Resort, and Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground - SHAG has captured the essence of fun and wonder that has comprised this magical kingdom since it opened its gates on October 1, 1971.The Main Street Gallery in Magic Kingdom is pleased to offer our Guests the first opportunity to purchase the Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary artwork by the artist SHAG in a deluxe print format. Deluxe Print dimensions are 16×20 inches, complete with double mat and retail for $35. This event will occur on Monday, January 31st from 12 Noon – 2 p.m. only.

This event will be the first time the Walt Disney World Resort has hosted the Artist SHAG and we are thrilled to invite you to meet and greet the artist at this premier artist signing. At the conclusion of this event this artwork will go back into the vaults not to be released until the full SHAG Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary collection is unveiled in the Summer of this year.

Don’t miss out on this very special opportunity as we proudly welcome SHAG and give you a first opportunity to purchase this commemorative Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary artwork

All information is subject to change including but not limited to dates, times, artwork, release dates, edition size and retail prices. Merchandise subject to availability.

© Disney

"You can measure a man's character by: How he treats those he stands to gain nothing from"

[ Edited by: Tropical_Icebergs 2011-06-16 05:02 ]

The Main Street Gallery in Magic Kingdom is pleased to offer our Guests the first opportunity to purchase the Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary artwork by the artist SHAG in a deluxe print format. Deluxe Print dimensions are 16×20 inches, complete with double mat and retail for $35. This event will occur on Monday, January 31st from 12 Noon – 2 p.m. only.

This event will be the first time the Walt Disney World Resort has hosted the Artist SHAG and we are thrilled to invite you to meet and greet the artist at this premier artist signing. At the conclusion of this event this artwork will go back into the vaults not to be released until the full SHAG Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary collection is unveiled in the Summer of this year.

Don’t miss out on this very special opportunity as we proudly welcome SHAG and give you a first opportunity to purchase this commemorative Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary artwork

[ Edited by: tropical_icebergs 2011-06-16 05:25 ]

Not only have we created limited edition prints of these exquisite pieces of art, but we have developed so much more to showcase the artistic styling’s of SHAG. The talented teams at Disney Theme Park Merchandise have pulled elements out of each of the paintings and applied them in fun and creative ways to commemorative merchandise keepsakes. SHAG’s artwork for the Disney Cruise Line can be found on charm bracelets, designer apparel for men and women, postcard sets, as well as home goods such as a tumbler set and coaster collection.

Keep a look out later this spring for another post on the Disney Parks Blog all about SHAG and the new line of artwork he created for Walt Disney World’s 40th Anniversary – the new merchandise collection is going to become a must have for every Disney collection

Way back in 2007, we first reported that this might happen, and finally its become a reality: hipster/tiki artist-extrodinare Shag (a.k.a. Josh Agle) has been tapped by Disney to create imagery for a new line of merchandise celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World and the Disney Crusie Line. The success of his previous work for Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary, the Haunted Mansion’s 40th Anniversary and The Enchanted Tiki Room’s 40th Anniversary had to be a huge factor in making the decision and I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling excitement for what’s to come.

Walt Disney World hosted a very under-publicised meet-and-greet with Shag on January 31 (a Monday!) where he signed prints of the “40th Anniversary Map.” The art, an interpretion/combination of several maps used as souvineers and in advertising, was on sale for that one day only and is now “in the vault” until the summer of this year, when the rest of the merchandise will be revealed. Tiki fans will appreciate his take on the Polynesian Resort which comes complete with hula dancer (a nod to map artwork in the rare WDW Preview book).

No specific dates have been given yet, but one they’re announced, we’ll let you know

Disney finally spilled the beans:

Friday, June 24, 2011 in Magic Kingdom® Park – Main Street Gallery: 11:00am – 1:00pm
Saturday, June 25, 2011 in Downtown Disney® Marketplace – Art of Disney: 4:00pm – 6:00pm

There's a few more details on my post on Tiki Talk, although they haven't published any more details about the merchandise itself yet.

JT

I just saw what merchandise was going to be offered and I am quite disappointed. It looks like cut and paste versions of the map on different items. As a tiki person, I can say there is nothing I am interested in. I was really looking forward to his take on the Polynesian resort but no mugs or anything. I hope more is coming but what I see is a let down.

It would seem that East Coast Disney is not as Tiki interested, as Disney on West Coast. It almost seems like a Disney sized let down ,Shag is dangled as a carrot but it's all tease and very little please...8)

Looks like a major lack of interest....any ideas as to why. My 1st thought is lack of "Tiki" lack of interest...does anyone care to share any of their thoughts on this....8)

JT

Lack of tiki and the whole Shag Disney thing is getting a little stale. How many time can you do a similar $75.00 shirt and keep people interested? How many trinket bracelets can you do? Coasters? Lunch boxes? When you think of all the great subjects unique to Disney World he could have done, Contemporary, Polynesian, monorails, etc., he really didn't do the anniversary justice. Perhaps Kevin Kidney or someone will do a Polynesian Resort tiki line. Perhaps Shags injury prevented him from having the time to do more works.

I think the Shag Haunted Mansion 40th items were great! I think that was his most popular line. There were sure much longer lines at the Aug. 9th, 2009 signing/merchandise event than this!

This was on mainstreet inside the Magic Kingdom. I would guess that most visitors were there to visit the park. A better gauge would have been the Downtown Disney signing. Luv the necklace he had on - I wonder where I could get one of those (wink, wink)?

I

I'm with Jax-- Disney hits on something and they just keep recycling the same idea over and over until they've wrung every last bit of money from it. I love Shag's art, but there's only so much room on my walls for lithographs of kids wearing mouse ears.

Pages: 1 15 replies