Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Aloha Motels and Inns

Pages: 1 31 replies

I recently found a postcard from the Aloha Inn located in Madison, Wisconsin. I looked through my postcard collection and found a lot of other Aloha motels, inns and lodges so I thought it would be cool to start a thread for such.

Here is the Aloha Inn located in Madison.

A nice Tiki mask on the front of the building and it looks like Tiki poles flanking each side of the peaked roof.

The indoor "tropical" pool.

Next up is the Aloha Motel located in San Antonio, Texas.

It featured a cool old sign with palm trees and a hula girl.

The Aloha Phoenix, used to be called the Samoan Village.

This one is the Aloha Motor Inn located on Skaha Lake Road in Penticton BC, Canada.

Close up of the Tiki sign. You can see a few A-frame cottages in the back.

The Aloha Motor Lodge and Restaurant in Hilliard, Florida.

The Aloha Motel in Miami, Florida.

Close up of the A-frame from a different postcard.

Next, the Aloha Inn Motel in Altamont, Illinois with some Polynesian style to the building.

Another nice old sign.

And finally, a postcard with an artist rendering of the Aloha Motel in Virginia Beach, Florida.

Close up of the great looking roof-top pool.

Look forward to seeing some more Aloha added to the post.

DC

Really hope the AFrame roof becomes the "In" design feature in architecture again soon...staying at an AFraame motel would be a lot more enjoyable just from the aesthetic side of things.

Love these postcards.

Wow, that Virginia Beach illustration is something else! Looks like a kid did it!

Awesome collection Cajun... I'll have to dig around and see if I have any.

Man, A-frames and late 50 American cars parked by them, what could be better!

Great thread, pal, wish I wuz home to scan some stuff to contribute....like isn't there an Aloha Motel in Palm Springs?

On 2011-06-15 15:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great thread, pal, wish I wuz home to scan some stuff to contribute....like isn't there an Aloha Motel in Palm Springs?

Thanks Bigbro, you must be off to work again.

I don't know about the Aloha in Palm Springs, but there was one in Vegas with a pretty snazzy sign.

DC

Fun post DC,

I thought there was one in the Alhambra area but it's the Lanai Motel. :roll:

1745 W Valley Blvd. Alhambra, CA

So to apologize for the slight derail, here are a couple others with some help from Google maps -

The Aloha Motel in Lancaster, CA

42329 Sierra Highway, Lancaster, CA

The Aloha Motel in Santa Ana, CA

2409 South Main Street, Santa Ana, CA

and the former Aloha Motel in Hayward CA

250 West Jackson Street, Hayward, CA

Which is now the Aloha Apartments. Maybe Mr. Smiley can tell us something about this? :)

Bora Boris, thanks for playing the Aloha game!

Another Aloha Motel from Chandler, Arizona.

Which actually has Tikis as documented by TikiJackalope in this thread....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6094&forum=2&hilite=aloha motel

DC

Here's Palm Springs -

1080 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA

BB,

Here are some better photos of the Palm Springs Aloha Hotel from flickr.

The sign says it all for Palm Springs - Pool TV AC!

No Tiki but a nice mid-century cool vibe.

DC

Time for a matchbook entry into the Aloha club. The Aloha Motel and Trailer Park located in lovely Pond Creek, Oklahoma. Run by Red and Ruth.

Back of the matchbook just in case you needed to know your mileage.

DC

OGR

Neat Thread DC, here a few not so clear shots gleaned from the web.

First a postcard companion to your Pond Creek Trailer park MB

Next an old one from Wichita, Kansas

Finally a neat bamboo framed sign and small motel from Port Orange, Florida

OGR,

I like the sign from Port Orange, Florida.

Here is the Aloha Motel from Bellingham, Washington.

Photo from the opening in 1960

Postcard

Some current photos of the sign.

DC

It appears that for many Aloha Motels, the Aloha spirit did not extend beyond the signage :D

PP

wow! and all this time I thought i was the only one who got all gushy when I saw cool old hotels and motels and photos!! I remember staying at some cool places back in the 70s as a kid, too cool!!!!

On 2011-06-15 15:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Man, A-frames and late 50 American cars parked by them, what could be better!

nothing....that's as good as it gets

Good thread.

Matchbook from the Aloha Motel in Vancouver, Washington.

DC

It's amazing how much more generic most of the places associated with the word "Aloha" were...almost like the difference between Tiki Style and Hawaiiana. Here's another example for that (apologies it's not a Motel):

Well here's a new one. I got this matchbook from the Aloha Motor Lodge in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

The rendering of the sign looks pretty cool.

Wonder what that looked like lit up at night?

And what a logo phrase: For a delightful stay, "Head for the Tiki"!

And the funny little pancake man.

I saw this postcard rendering from the motel, nice Googie features, but no Tiki sign to be seen.

DC

Nice B & W photo of the Aloha Motel sign in Las Vegas.

Aloha, Googie style.

DC

Got this brochure from the Aloha Motel in San Antonio that used the hula girl graphics from the great sign out front.

I like the map on the back, it's like an Urban Archeologist's treasure map - follow the Palm Trees!

DC

Would you look at that signage! It was almost bigger than the building! I bet it was animated. Those were the days...

Terrific photos. Thank you, Wendy

More by dusty, the paper king...

Thanks for all your cool posts
Great to see all these awesome vintage photos that I would otherwise miss.

Thanks again

Jon

T

Found this postcard for the Austin TX location of the Aloha Motel. The restaurant design matches that of the San Antonio location.

Found an image of the courtyard and zoomed in on the palm trees hoping there would be tikis carved on them. No such luck...

Picked up this oversized postcard from the Aloha Motel in Chandler, AZ.

Nice pic of the spear sign.

And, a sighting of an actual Tiki by the pool! Reminds me of a Tropics Tiki.

DC

W

My friend Tui Snider was just in Chandler and took this pic of the Aloha Motel office. It's a bit interesting contrasting what it looks like today with the image from the postcard Dustycajun posted.

Here is a new one - a matchcover I picked up from the Aloha Motel in Myrtle Beach.

Nice looking sign.

And Tikis! Wonder if there were any on the grounds.

Another entry from Seaside Hieghts New Jersey.

And a few more images of the great sign in Las Vegas.

Photo

And painting

Aloha Inn from Seattle.

Aloha means goodbye (for now).

DC

On 2014-11-08 08:00, TheBigT wrote:
Found this postcard for the Austin TX location of the Aloha Motel. The restaurant design matches that of the San Antonio location.

Found an image of the courtyard and zoomed in on the palm trees hoping there would be tikis carved on them. No such luck...

Does the reverse of these cards give the address for the Austin location? I would like to see what is there now... I went by where the one in San Antonio was. There are some very tall palms that remain. The address currently houses a Sonic; next door there is a Vet Clinic that may have been part of the original motel structure/grounds.

T

The Aloha Motel in Bellingham WA is currently being torn down. The city bought and condemned the property due to Meth use and production, prostitution, overdose deaths and murder. Plans are to save the sign either on site or It will be auctioned off.

Glad the sign was saved from the wrecking ball.

There was an Aloha Motel in Long Beach, as evidenced on this matchbook.

DC

Great matchbook, but architecture-wise, it confirms my notion of:

On 2012-01-18 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
It's amazing how much more generic most of the places associated with the word "Aloha" were...almost like the difference between Tiki Style and Hawaiiana.

:)

Pages: 1 31 replies