Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Bamboo chaise at Ikea

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

Shot this at Ikea yesterday. They are $30. Didn't see a matching footrest.

Thank God! I've had 2 furniture companies in my life time and never have made chairs or couches. (they are a hassle!) Now I can refer people to Ikea and get them off my back so I can concentrate on making more bars!! Score! (building bars (for me) is like my art. Like Shag with paintings etc.)Every bar out of the store is signed/dated/named and one of a kind. Chairs! Blah! Thank you Ikea!!!

R

On 2003-06-01 21:52, RevBambooBen wrote:
Thank God! I've had 2 furniture companies in my life time and never have made chairs or couches. (they are a hassle!) Now I can refer people to Ikea and get them off my back so I can concentrate on making more bars!! Score! (building bars (for me) is like my art. Like Shag with paintings etc.)Every bar out of the store is signed/dated/named and one of a kind. Chairs! Blah! Thank you Ikea!!!

I'd like to see one of your bars, got any pix?

The bamboo chair is nice, but I know I would break it =-O

Ratiki,
I got lots o pics but no scanner or digital. If you're ever in so cal (the other side) come by and check out the pics.We do things the old way. There are a couple of old do it your self web sites up that are floating around with a few pics. A web-search for bamboo ben would give you a glimpse. I wish I could bring a bunch of bars to Hukilau (like Oasis3) but shipping is mucho grande. I might bring one and give it to the staff for auction and they could use the cash to help start next years event. we'll see?

A

Here's one,

Mahalo,
Al

T

Aloha, Ben. I love your work and have a huge respect for what you do, but it's not fair to imply how awful it is that Ikea sells bamboo furniture when you don't have an online shop or any easy way to view, test-ride and purchase your goods. I, for one, don't have the money or time in my 70 hour work-week to jet down to SoCal to look at furniture the "old fashioned way", then have no easy way to get it home. But I promise to shop this way as soon as I win the lottery (or figure out how PolyPop does it).
Mahalo,
Tiki-bot

T-B, I'm "stoked" that Ikea is selling the chairs. I don't make chairs. If I were to have the giant web presence that the Farm or Ikea does, I'd be dead from a heart attack! (plus I wouldn't be able to hang with my family when I have time off cause I would never have time off.)Now, when Ikea starts making one of a kind tiki bars, then I'll get with the program. How's the first month of marriage???

T

Are you implying that using a computer in your job would leave you with no time off? Oh, wait, yeah...

Marriage is great! But with my work schedule I haven't been around the mrs much since the wedding, and we are getting along swimmingly! We actually spent the whole day Saturday working on the front & back yards (my first real yardwork on my first house). Even though I couldn't move the next morning, working on the tiki-fication of the yards with the one I love is a pretty great feeling.

Tiki Bot,
Dude! I'm not burning you, computers, Ikea or nothin. You read me wrong. I'm happy that they are making chairs :) I'm happy that there are people who know how to use their computers to their advantage :) I'm just a Happy starving artist who builds custom tropical decor in a really messy, sawdusty 900 sq.ft. shop :) No worries bro.

R

Very cool stuff Ben, but a website I would think would make a world of difference in sales if that is what you want/need. How do you market your work, just locally?

K
Klas posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2003 10:28 AM

Here's some more quite kool IKEA bamboo stuff if anyone is interested:

Bamboo room divider (Looks much better in real life than on the preview pic)

Bamboo stool

Pages: 1 10 replies