Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

4th annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention, Sat. Aug 13th 2011, 9am to 8pm

Pages: 1 2 80 replies

and After the Convention swing by Don the Beachcomber for this.

3 more Days! Let the Reverb Begin!!

Can it be Saturday already ?

J

Ok, I was going to post my top reason for attending the SG101 Surf Convention this Sat but just yesterday Jonpaul Balak (of Tikiyaki O, Insect Surfers, Tiki Magazine fame) posted a better sentiment on the SG101 website. I think it really articulates all the time, effort, and love that BTD puts into this great event. As I've stated before, BTD doesn't do this for his own personal recognition and he certainly doesn't do it for the money (he gives it all to the bands). He does it for the pure love of Surf music and the hope and vision to see it expand and continue.

He also does it all for YOU !! (which is why you should attend or at least drop in). :)

Anyway with JP's permission, here's his post from SG101...

**Long time enthusiast, first time poster....
Don't ask me why I didn't start posting many moons ago...
Anyway, it's never too late, right?
I figured this would be the greatest surprise I could give BTD, smack-dab in the middle of his pre-convention stress period.

I just wanted to take a moment and commend the man, the myth, the legend, the enigma we all know and love...Lord Big Tiki Dude of the fabled Anaheim Hansens, whose fanaticism for this music has done so very much to enrich all of our lives!!! His hard work, dedication, passion, persistence and determination are unrivaled in just about any scene and it is primarily because of him that we are able to celebrate the drip in an official way again this year (for the 4th time--can you believe it??!!)! He goes soooooo far above and beyond for this music, not only putting the convention together, but promoting the reverb all year around! He quite literally is....the US ambassador of Reverb!!!! They should create a new seat for him at the UN! (OK, I'm getting carried away now...)

Seriously, though, Big Tiki Dude, Jeff Hanson, my brutha--we salute you!!!
Thank you so much for everything that you do! It does not go unnoticed or unappreciated!!!
Now, take a deep breath, throw back another 2 oz. of Zaya and give yourself a much-deserved pat on the back. We love you, man!!!

Truly looking forward to enjoying every second of this year's festivities, especially seeing everyone in person again! Oh yeah, and finally being an "official" active member. Cheers!**

HT

Well said my friend John-O about our Big friend "BIG TIKI DUDE". See you saturday

SK

Heck YES!

I'm stoked to be heading to this killer event again. If all goes well I'll make it to the the show at the Soda Bar Friday, SG101 on Saturday and Don's Saturday night. I have a friend from the right coast flying in on Friday who I'll be dragging to all these shows and Tiki Oasis.

My favorite week of the year is here again.

Jeff, thanks for: heading up this event again, scheduling it so close to Tiki Oasis, and making it fall on my BIRTHDAY this year. SWEET!

SK

[ Edited by: Sofa King 2011-08-14 12:27 ]

J

Just one last opportunity to thank BTD and express how gigantic this day is going to be!
10 full bands, a legends of surf jam, more excellent, hard-to-find recorded music than you can find anywhere, good comfort food, stiff drinks, amazing, smart, talented people from all over the world---WTF!!!! Surf Guitar 101 Convention # 4 is undeniably going to be the greatest yet!!!
It'll be great to spend some quality time with everyone at what has become the world's foremost gathering of reverb junkies!!!
Thank you, BTD!!!

See ya tomorrow!

BUMP! It's today! Headed down now..see y'all there!

Saw Daikaiju at the Soda Bar in San Diego last night. They killed it! Super high energy and really fun. They were so good almost makes me want to drive up north to see them again today.

SF

What a great day of music. Jeff is the king of concerts promoters. All the bands were just great, but The Tequila Worms and Satan's Pilgrims, really rocked the place. But hands down Daikaiju kicked ass, what a surprise, just blow away by them. THANK YOU JEFF p.s can't wait for next year.

Thanks BigTikiDude for a great event. Mrs. Fury & I loved the Bradipos IV but my favorites were The Deadbeats and The Tequila Worms. Amazing to hear some of the players of the first wave of surf music too.

Head over to Huntington Beach today and you can see many of the bands again...
http://www.surfingmuseum.org/events.html

J

WOW !!

BigTikiDude showed us the great DIVERSITY of Surf Music yesterday with his hand picked line-up of bands. Anyone who associates this music solely as "oldie" music needed to be there to "wake up and smell the coffee" (or in this case "hear the reverb", ha ha).

1. It spanned multiple generations from the First Wave with legends like Paul Johnson and Dick Dodd to the genre's next class of "kids" like the Deadbeats and Tequila Worms.

These latter 2 bands played with the intensity and passion of their youth, yet with the spirit of the music's origins. They had me grinning from ear to ear, especially the Tequila Worms who are our own local band based in Anaheim.

1. Also the Deadbeats and Tequila Worms, who are composed primarily of young Latinos, harken back to the music's early days, when many Mexican American Surf bands were springing up in Central California. People tend to associate the style with just suburban White teenagers in So Ca but even back in the early days, that wasn't the case.

2. It showed that Surf Music has no religious boundaries with Meshugga Beach Party. This band is comprised of Orthodox rabbis who play Jewish folk songs to a Surf Music beat. Ok, actually they're just dressed up as rabbis (including the fake beards), but they are all nice Jewish boys (and one nice Jewish girl). :)

3. Surf Music was represented from all corners of the globe with The Blue Demons from Canada, the Razorblades from Germany, and the Bradipos IV from Italy. Although all the bands were great, I think the Bradipos IV were especially an audience favorite. These bands illustrate the spirit of Surf Music transcending international borders, foreign culture, and language !! This is where some of the best music is coming from these days.

4. The "ringer" of the day was Daikaiju, who were a Kabuki-masked band playing Surf Music from another dimension. Was this really "Surf Music" or was it more akin to (brilliantly performed) instrumental speed-metal ?? The audience was deeply divided on the matter. Some of the traditionalists were horrified, but as you can see from Surf Fink's comments, some people considered Daikaiju the highlight of the day. Regardless, BTD forced us to confront and debate the question of "What exactly is Surf Music ?".

5. And yes, Satan's Pilgrims lived up to their great reputation. It was a fantastic experience to see them perform live. Also it's a sign of the Convention's significance that THEY would ask Jeff if they could perform there.

Tiki Central roll call: Mr & Mrs. Jason Wickedly, Chris B., Caltiki, Tikiyaki, Kirby, Mr. & Mrs. BongoFury, TNT (Teresa & Tim), HB Tiki, Sperm Whale & Whale Rider, Mambo King (Whorehay) & Dana, Jonpaul & Marie, and Kick the Reverb were among the Tikiphiles I recognized.

And hey, Tiki-dom's own Mr. J won the Fender American Vintage ’62 Thin Skin Jazzmaster guitar raffle. :)

Kudos, to the Starting Gate's bar, kitchen, and wait staff. They busted their butts all day for a hungry and thirsty crowd where it was hard to hear orders. From what I could see, they performed with great attitudes to a very long and non-stop day.

And last but not least..

THANK YOU Big Tiki Dude !!

This event is only going to get bigger and better, and the future of Surf Music will only prosper as a result of your annual milestone event.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-14 11:30 ]

J

Also on a related note, Mr. J and I stopped in at Don's for a post-convention cocktail and little bit of Slacktone before heading back to the Westside for a Purple Orchid nightcap with CHUM and the Riptides.

To my amazement, Slacktone went into a Crime Jazz medley with (former Nocturne) Jim Frias on Sax !! It was so cool it made me want to cry (tears of joy). :)

Sorry Dave & Rebecca, after that we didn't make it out in time to catch the PO in time. :(

SK

This event was as good as I expected it to be. Unfortunately due to a late night at the Soda Bar and heavy traffic I didn't get to the show until 2. It was nice to finally see the Tequila Worms and boy did they impress me.

Jeff, if you caught heat for putting Daikaiju in the line up... THANK YOU for doing the right thing IMO and having them. I simply do not understand how a fan of music could not like or appreciate them live even if the music is not for you. They play top-of-the-line instro music. What is not to like? Once again a great, well organized event. Big thanks.

SK

HT

Thank you Big Tiki Dude-See you at Tiki Oasis

S

Had a great time on Saturday..I thought the all the bands were great..I really enjoyed the fact that even though it was a surf event , the bands all sounded different..
The problem I have with festivals is a bunch of bands of a certain genre playing cookie cutter music..It was refreshing to see different styles of surf..
Im not the biggest fan of surf but the diversity of the bands was awsome..
My favorites..
Tequila Worms..Killed it
Daikaiju.. Peeled my face off..by far the most interesting band Ive seen in a long time..And it was fun debating Alabama football with them at Dons..
Satans Pilgrims..Nuff said..

The staff at the starting gate was great..They were slammed but they kept the budlight and Jameson flowing all day with smiles on their faces..

Thanx BTD and everyone else involved for putting it all together..

T
TNT posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2011 1:20 PM

That was a great event - thank you Big Tiki Dude for putting it together. When is the next one?

Lost In Paradise: 4th Annual Surf Guitar 101 Convention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahT2F1ufOVs

Mahaloz and Cheers!
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lost-In-Paradise/190254427656607

Oh yah, and Bigtikidude is rockin' his bass around 1:33 in! SWEET!!!!!

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2011-08-16 13:56 ]

Slapbass,
Not sure if we have met before,
But I am honored by your comments,
And that you attended the event.

And thanks to all TCers that came,
It really means a lot, and shows that you
Are open minded tiki peeps.
Cheers.

John O, thanks for the Great Review.

Thanks for the killer Lost in Paradise Chris.
Jeff btd

On 2011-08-15 07:22, slapbass wrote:
Had a great time on Saturday..I thought the all the bands were great..I really enjoyed the fact that even though it was a surf event , the bands all sounded different..
The problem I have with festivals is a bunch of bands of a certain genre playing cookie cutter music..It was refreshing to see different styles of surf..
Im not the biggest fan of surf but the diversity of the bands was awsome..
My favorites..
Tequila Worms..Killed it
Daikaiju.. Peeled my face off..by far the most interesting band Ive seen in a long time..And it was fun debating Alabama football with them at Dons..
Satans Pilgrims..Nuff said..

The staff at the starting gate was great..They were slammed but they kept the budlight and Jameson flowing all day with smiles on their faces..

Thanx BTD and everyone else involved for putting it all together..

[ Edited by: Bigtikidude 2011-08-16 14:17 ]

As mentioned by others, that was an awsome event, very nice line up, my favorites were Satan's Pilgrims, Bradipos IV, Tequila Worms and the Deadbeats.
I salute Jeff for pulling this off so smoothly (he has few freaking out weeks pre-event behind the scenes), and for keeping nothing to himself.
Looking forward to next year!

Ran

T

Congratz Jeff on a KILLER Event.

I'll say it again...people here on TC give Jeff boatlods of crap, but in the SG101/Surf crowd, he is a "major playa" , as the kids say.....Respected, loved, and all that.

Many great bands throughout the day....I have to say, The Tequila Worms did a killer version of Miserlou, a song that usually gets the rolling eyes at surf shows, due to it being so overplayed. Their version of this was steroid injected for sure...just amazing.

So many good bands in one day. Satans Pilgrims...just so badass.

Plus, I can't tell you how many CD's I sold due to Jeff playing it for these people at his house....in the past, surf geeks just didn't really dig the exotica thing,but judging by this past convention, it seems that's changing,and I have to think that Jeff has something to do with it....so thanx for that.

Time for a bigger venue Jeff ? Looks like it to me.

Agreed, a KILLER event! Bigtikidude organizer and promoter extraordinaire!

My faves of the day were The Tequila Worms and The Deadbeats. So cool to see such highly skilled musicians, driving energy and creativity in these young bands. Especially cool when I spoke with them, that they were looking forward to seeing some of the other bands. Class Acts!

Here is "The Tequila Worms" doing Misirlou a while ago at Don's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWrGdTyPyw

J

On 2011-08-14 12:14, JOHN-O wrote:

...To my amazement, Slacktone went into a Crime Jazz medley with (former Nocturne) Jim Frias on Sax !! It was so cool it made me want to cry (tears of joy). :)

Cool, someone filmed this at the official Post-Convention show at Don's.

From Spy-Fi to Crime Jazz actually...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UiX3G1LFo

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-16 21:59 ]

Love the Spy & Crime tunes, thanks John-O
And Jeff is the man, he gives so much of his own time to
promote these shows and events and deserves mucho kudos for his work!

Finally got some time to sit down on a real computer,
Been running to shows for a week strait,
getting 4 hours sleep, then working in the day.

Thanks so much to all of my Tiki Friends who came and enjoyed the show.
It means a lot to me, and the heartfelt comments are so nice.

Thanks you all.
Jeff(btd)

p.s. what do I gotta do to get Otto, and Sven to show up at this?

Hey BTD..I dont think we have ever met..I dont attend alot of the events,but I play around town alot..Lots of familiar faces.. I know how passionate you are about the music and since you put the show on it was worth the gamble..
You promote very well..Good job providing websites and shows and youtube videos on the bands that were playing..

Now if I could only sell you Outlaw Country..You could have a job promoting the laziest most sought after band around..Ill leave the name out of it..hahaha

Ill make it a mission to introduce myself next time Im around and we'll tip some back..

And no..Squid..Dartin Menny..Lucas..Theres no Bromance budding here!!!!!

On 2011-08-16 20:21, tikiyaki wrote:
...people here on TC give Jeff boatlods of crap,

Does that still happen? I wanted to comment on that, but didn't want to stir up bygones. Whoever gives Jeff crap about stuff deserves a swift kick in the nuts (or ovaries).
How many guys/girls pull off organzing events like this for no personal monetary gain whatsoever?

Kudos to Jeff, and to the people who "get it".

Ran

I am with Kick the Reverb on This one !! Big Tiki Dude is my bro and I got his back !!! Fuck the haters!!! Jeff the surf convention was freaking great !!! Thank you for turning me on to some great bands !!!

I slapped Jeff on the back, but he coughed up a hairball!
You giant "Shmoo" of a man, you just keep on, keeping on!

On 2011-08-17 12:10, slapbass wrote:
Hey BTD..I dont think we have ever met..I dont attend alot of the events,but I play around town alot..Lots of familiar faces.. I know how passionate you are about the music and since you put the show on it was worth the gamble..
You promote very well..Good job providing websites and shows and youtube videos on the bands that were playing..

Now if I could only sell you Outlaw Country..You could have a job promoting the laziest most sought after band around..Ill leave the name out of it..hahaha

Ill make it a mission to introduce myself next time Im around and we'll tip some back..

And no..Squid..Dartin Menny..Lucas..Theres no Bromance budding here!!!!!

Slapbass,
send me a PM or e-mail with the bands you play with,
I like some country and rockabilly,
and I am open to new stuff if its good,
and I heard you are a good bass player.

Jeff(btd)

Reviews by the members of the SG101 forum,
starting here on page 17 to 22
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/14201/?page=17

thanks again to those tiki peeps whjo came.
Jeff(btd)

I was Really Blown away, the whole weekend at Tiki Oasis,
I had about 20 different people(most of whom I had never met)
come up to me and tell me they were at the SG101 convention the weekend before
Tiki Oasis, and how much of a great time they had.

So to all of you who came to both,
Cheers to you, the Hardcore!!
I salute you.

time for a nap.
and some cough syrup,
ugh!!!!

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 80 replies