Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

I hit the TV exacta!

Pages: 1 15 replies

M

Finally, my job has taken me to Chicago and I have been able to complete my tour of the US Trader Vic's! As a little background, I became interested in tiki primarily because I kept traveling to Atlanta and wound up going to Vic's because it so cool. So I've been to the Beverly Hills, the Palo Alto and my personal favorite, Emeryville. Although the Emeryville Vic's is more of the "nautical Vic's" than the "South Seas Vic's" - while I was there I struck up a conversation with the bartender told him how much I liked the restaurants and he was kind enough to introduce my to Mr. Bergeron!!! Just thought I'd share. Aloha

Did you actually get to meet Mr. Trader Vic himself? How long ago was this?

Thanks to Holden at Tiki Farm, a few of us got to actually have lunch with Peter Seely, the grandson of Vic Bergeron when he was in So Cal a few months back. Very nice guy!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-06-01 19:57 ]

M

I did get to meet Mr. Vic!! He was of "advanced age", but looked sharp dressed in conservative gray pants, a blue and red tie and blue blazer. He seemed a little less than excited to be meeting ONE MORE tiki fan, but was still quite nice. This was several years ago now, but I remember it like it was yesterday. Tell me about meeting his grandson? Even he must be in his 40's? Did you talk with him about the restaurant expanding again into other cities? Oh, and by the way, the Chicago Vic's has just recently been redone to be more "tiki" complete with a big sign in front of the hotel advertising "Tiki Time Monday through Friday". Contrary to the reviews I'd read of what must have been the pre-renovation Vic's this one now has a totally South Seas feel and not at all the nautical feel of Beverly Hills or the somewhat nautical feel of Emeryville. In fact in design and ambiance the Chicago Vic's reminds me VERY much of the London Vic's - it really looks like the restaurant fell right out of the year 1971! - Aloha

On 2003-06-02 09:05, manehune wrote:
I did get to meet Mr. Vic!! He was of "advanced age", but looked sharp dressed in conservative gray pants, a blue and red tie and blue blazer. This was several years ago now, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Manehune, you probably met Peter Seely his grandson. Trader Vic Bergeron died almost 20 years ago. Here's a pic of his grave:

Since his death, the Trader Vic's corporation has been run by his grandchildren - that's why I'm guessing you met Peter Seely.

Jeez Pop!,

Are you trying to use facts to chase away our new members?

P.S. Manehune, did you mean Menehune as your spelling?

H

On 2003-06-02 11:46, PolynesianPop wrote:
Manehune, you probably met Peter Seely his grandson. Trader Vic Bergeron died almost 20 years ago.

Unless... he met the ghost of Vic Bergeron!!! :o

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-06-02 12:06 ]

M

Well, this could be embarrasing. I knew Vic had passed on quite a while ago - so I didn't clarify, the gentleman I met was "Vic Bergeron Jr." or at least that's what the bartender said. This is what I know happened: I said how cool TVs was, the bartender said, "well you should talk with Mr. Bergeron if he comes in.", at which point I said, "I thought Mr. Bergeron had passed away", Bartender: "Oh a long time ago, but this is his son, Victor Jr." Then about an hour later an elderly man (probably 60s) came in looking very elegant and the who wait staff were very very polite to him. So I asked the waitress (by this time I had moved to a table) if that was "Mr. Bergeron" she said, "yes" and so I went over and said, "Mr. Bergeron?" and he said "yes" and then I proceeded to tell him how wonderful I thought the restaurants are and blah blah blah and he was nice and I had another coulple drinks and left. - So I totally defer to the posters of Tiki Central, and I guess I should ask, "Is there a Vic Jr?", and "Is it likely that although everyone refered to this man as Mr. Bergeron, he was probably Vic's grandson?" and finally, does my description of the man I met sound like Vic's grandson?" I'm getting the impression that maybe the people in Emeryville were just having some fun with me - but if thats the case, I guess we're even, since I've had so much fun at Vic's over the years. -Aloha. - Oh and about the spelling of Manehune, I thought I was being witty spelling it with an "a" - perhaps not as witty as I thought.

How much manehune juice had you consumed prior to this encounter?

M

That's MENEHUNE juice :D So I guess that means I was being put on. Well some times thats the way the tiki crumbles. In a way I can find solace in the idea that at least the staff were merry pranksters - that sounds about what I would hope for anyway - how serious can you be surrounded by all those cool Menehune dolls. Aloha.

Oh and about the spelling of Manehune, I thought I was being witty spelling it with an "a" - perhaps not as witty as I thought.

How much manehune juice had you consumed prior to this encounter?

Take out the "-ehune"

K

ew

M

I have consumed many a menehune juice cocktail ot TV's. I call the little menehune swizzle dolls that come drinks different names according to their sex. Male=manehune (there you go) and female=womanehune.

Ps- Always trust content form Mr. Smiley for he is very wise.
PPS- Welcome to Tikicentral, manehune. Someday you will know how famous and wise I am!!:}

M

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mrsmiley, but from the looks of it, this kitchen is too hot for me. Aloha Tiki Central

M

Christ, we didn't just scare another one away, did we?

-martin

martiki6 wrote:
Christ, we didn't just scare another one away, did we?

Maybe....or maybe just for this post.

The record is still held by HulaLula, with 6 Posts total, 1 Subject.

I thought I was just being funny...

well, if you're me.

Pages: 1 15 replies