Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Rare Les Baxter Tune from a Rare Exotica Album!

Pages: 1 12 replies

I was recently discussing this album with Tabuzak but I couldn't remember the title.

In 1963 or 64, Prestige released an album titled "Jazz Orient-ed" by pianist Eddie Bonnemere. I do not know much about this guy; he apparently didn't record much.

The album has a few originals, some obscure stuff, and eastern-tinged standards such as "Lotus Land" and "Mountain High, Valley Low."

It also contains Les Baxter's theme for the US version of the 1963 film "A Boy Ten Feet Tall." (The UK film was titled "Sammy Going South"). I haven't found any other recordings of this tune.

The tune itself is nothing earth-shattering, but it's nice to have.

Cool, thanks Drew. I'll have to check this one out!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M
Milan posted on Mon, Sep 26, 2011 2:18 PM

I've had this record but I must say I didn't like it so much. The playing is not that sensitive I'm afraid. The Baxter track was one of the reasons to keep it around for a while but now its gone. You do wonder how this tune ended up on this LP.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I have another obscure track Pharaoh's Curse by Baxter on a 7" by Tony Martinez and His Mambo Combo which is really nice.

I always liked Yusef Lateef's Baxter cover on his Prayer to the East LP.

[ Edited by: Milan 2011-09-26 14:22 ]

Pharoahs Curse?? Can't say I've ever heard that one!!

Anyway you can share this?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M
Milan posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2011 1:49 PM

I'll gladly do so when I get my records from storage. That might take a couple of months (just moved home from abroad).

I just recently bought this other 45 by one Carmen Lesay. One side has Oo-la oo-la-la, the other side Sunset mood, both by Les Baxter. Cool exotica tunes. I didn't know about that one before.

Do you know it?

The Yusef Lateef track could have been great, except that the piano was playing the changes to "Coronation" while the rest of the band was playing "Love Dance."

M
Milan posted on Thu, Sep 29, 2011 2:40 AM

Ha ha, really? I'll have to listen again.

I was wondering what other examples there are of jazz musicians covering Les Baxter.

M
Milan posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 2:24 PM

I found this 45 recently and thought it might be of interest.

Its a fun track. I haven't seen the film but I'm sure this song did not feature in it. I think its a pretty old school horror film (looking it up I have to say it sounds very promising and I have to watch it asap), while this is more like a beatnik latin thing. Does anybody know whether it uses its theme from the movie? B-side is really good too, Robin's Mambo (written by Tony martinez).

I'd love to hear this '45. I doubt it had anything to do with the movie though. I have a bootleg of the film! It's a ridiculous movie with all kinds of stars in it! The BEST scenes are with David Carradine walking around the set dressed like a eden ahbez looking character with a large stick yelling "INFIDELS"!!!!

The movie came out in 1956 and the soundtrack is pretty lush. Don't remember any mambo rhythms in it that's for sure.

Nice find though. Will have to keep this on my radar!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M
Milan posted on Wed, Dec 7, 2011 5:30 PM

Not really the proper thread to post it in, but I purchased a 7", 33rpm AIP promotional release with the "title theme from the motion picture" Black Sunday. I must say I bought it out of completism, but was surprised to hear it doesn't sound like the stuff I know from the "Black Sabbath" lp. Its solo (or duo) piano with heavy reverb (like on the Skins! track). Other side has Katia's theme as featured on Jewels of the sea. I thought this was interesting!

Hey Milan, oddly enough I picked up that same Tony Martinez 45 recently, too. "Black Sheep" is such a strange, cool track. "Robin's Mambo" appeared (with "live" sound effects) on the Eddie Cano & Jack Constanzo with Tony Martinez LP that came out on GNP-Crescendo around the same time.

Jeff, you can check out that "Pharaoh's Curse" track here:
http://exoticaproject.com/#tonymartinezandhismambocombo_pharoahscurse

Also, Milan, Carmen Lesay had an EP to her name with some more cool exotica tracks, including her version of Baxter's "Voo Doo."

You can check audio of "Voo Doo" out here:
http://exoticaproject.com/audio/carmenlesay_voodoo.mp3

And here's what it looks like:

WOW, this is great!! :)

Thanks for the links danny!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

M

Thanks Danny, that's an awesome track! And thanks for the Eddie Cano tip. I'll have to find them.

Black Sleep is indeed pretty cool. What a coincidence you just found it.

I'm not even a 45rpm guy, but perhaps for exotica that's where the suprises still are.

Pages: 1 12 replies