Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tonga Hut Hailed "Top 10 Bar" in L.A. by Erik Lorincz & L.A.X. Magazine

Pages: 1 4 replies

TH

By Dr. Trader Tom Morgan

Erik Lorincz, the head bartender at the American Bar at The Savoy Hotel in London, has been hailed as one of the most impressive mixologists in the world. Among his many accolades, Lorincz battled 9000 other bartenders to win the 2010 Diageo World Class Competition, and many consider him to be the best at what he does. Upon visiting the United States, he had a long list of bars to visit. However, among his first stops were the Chateau Marmot and THE TONGA HUT!

That’s right. You can read an interview below where Lorincz mentions Tonga Hut after being asked which bars impressed him so far:
http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/3557078-q-a-with-bartender-erik-lorincz-the-american-bar-at-the-savoy-

Most recently, in LAX Magazine’s 10th issue, Lorincz praises Tonga Hut again as one of the top 10 bars in Los Angeles! The others, in case you’re curious were The Varnish, Palihouse, Roger Room, Trader Vic’s, Golden Gopher, Library Bar, Tiki Ti, The Penthouse at the Huntley Hotel, and Bar Marmont.

You can read the issue online here:
http://lax-magazine.com/current-issue/

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 9:51 AM

Jeremy is the 21st-Century Don Beach of the San Fernando Valley.

Kelly is his Ray Buhen (who arguably invented all those drinks back in the day).

I'm sure there's appropriate mid-century mappings for Marty Lush, Kirby, GROG, and Tobunga. I'll have to think about those.

But Sherriyaki is on her way to being the modern day "Dottie". :)

Wait... Marty Lush is Julius Wechter (to Jim Tikiyaki's Martin Denny). And he did "break off" to lead his own Latin-based band.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-01 10:00 ]

Thank you Tuck, er I mean John O.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Congratulations Tonga Hut!

Bear

Well deserved.

Pages: 1 4 replies