Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The New Tiki Central Server

Pages: 1 18 replies

Okay, so even though the new server information hasn't fully propigated out over the Internet yet, the improvements are already quite staggering:

Earlier today the sever said we had 25 people accessing Tiki Central at one time. The old server's limit was 10 at one time (although due to cacheing we'd see 11 or 12). That is, only 10 computers were allowed to download information at any time.

What does this mean? It means that on the old server, many people were being denied or delayed access to Tiki Central during peak times. Typically the delay was less than 30 seconds, but it still impacted how quicky the pages here came up.

It also means that Tiki Central's server was limiting it's popularity. Supply was lower than demand, so to speak. That's pretty amazing to me, considering that tikicentral.com averaged about 8 gigabytes in data transfer a month on the old server (yes, that's gigabytes, not megabytes) and roughly 2000 people visiting a day. It is bound to go up, now.

So the new server means that more people can access Tikiroom.com at one time, that Tiki Central will be faster and more responsive, you won't run into frustrating submit-and-wait issues when posting, and that hopefully we'll grow faster in members and in information becuase we can serve more people now.

Yay!

~Hanford

Hanford,
A personal "Thank You" for speeding up the site! You are DEFINITELY the man. Tiki Central kicks ass - can't be without it!

D

It's true Hanford, I'm with PolyPop! I can't do without TC either, but what have you done to me?!?! Thanks, I think :wink:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-06-02 20:37 ]

M

Thanks as well, Hanford. Any word on the gallery reopening? I've got stuff to post!

-martin

T

We all owe you a Mai Tai Hanford! I noticed some slow times lately but it wasn't too bad. Thanks for improving things before they got worse!

We're not worthy...we're not worthy...
Thanks Hanford!

Yeah, free Mai Tais! That's what I'm talking about.

the gallery will reopen soon. I tihnk I'm going to switch the mode it operates in so that it doesn't store hi-res versions of the photos. That's what's eating up most of our space right now.

Hanford

B

Thanks Man! For the last year and a half I've been a die hard http://www.focaljet.com fanatic, but you guys have become "the other woman". I've even bumped the site to the top of my favorites ALA the Seinfeld/speed dial episode. Last night my wife needed the laptop to write up some stuff for work, and I started jonesing so bad I had to satisfy my Tiki urges by carving Tikis out of partially thawed Tator Tots!

Hanford,

There seems to be a problem with logging in.
I can post, but have to input user name & password each time. As I've not messed with my cookie settings, I was wondering if the new server is having a problem with this?

Trader Woody

M

On 2003-06-06 14:19, Trader Woody wrote:
Hanford,

I can post, but have to input user name & password each time. As I've not messed with my cookie settings, I was wondering if the new server is having a problem with this?

Trader Woody

I second that. I tried to disengage the cookie, but cannot "log out" as Hanford instructs. Every time it still shows "not logged in" even if I just did log in and change the cookie.

Biggest problem is the "new response" feature, they're all red, all the time.

Oh, and I'd like Root Beer in the drinking fountains...and more skin on "Love Boat".

midnite

T

On 2003-06-06 14:19, Trader Woody wrote:
Hanford,

Trader Woody

This seems like a common problem, I too am experiencing the same. I tried messin' with the cookies but the settings don't really take as I save them. I have to keep "editing my prefences" to eventually getting it to "save".

BTW, many thanks for the job you do with TC Hanford, you are truly a god among men.

ps: I DON'T want to see anymore Jo Ann Worely flesh, thanks!

H

That used to happen to me all the time when I was using my husband's Windows box at home. My Windows box at work never had that trouble, and the Linux box I currently use as my main computer also doesn't have that trouble. Both Windows boxes were running the same flavor of IE. I never figured out what the problem was, though I never tried very hard to fix it. If it bothers you a ton and you're not committed to one browser, try switching to Netscape and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for all the comments.

Okay, if you're having the login problem described here (you can log on but the very next operation you need to log on again), can you post here and answer the following question:

What does the URL say when this happens:

1. It says http://www.monolux.com or monolux.com (without the www)

2. It says tikicentral.com (without the www)

3. It says http://www.tikicentral.com

4. It's working for me now

Please answer this; it will help me debug what's going on.

Thanks all!

~Hanford

ps, I think I fixed it, so please answer the question and if it's working for you say option 4.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-06-08 19:23 ]

M
  • I second that. I tried to disengage the cookie, but cannot "log out" as Hanford instructs. Every time it still shows "not logged in" even if I just did log in and change the cookie.

All my TC problems are solved. Way to go Hanford, you dah man.

midnite

ps Now, about the Root Beer and "Love Boat"?

T

Well my problem went away, so thank you Hanford.

I remember it was tikicentral.com not monolux, but I don't remember if it was www. or not.

BTW, I tried it with IE and Mozilla and I had the same problem with both browsers.

Hanford~
I just posted and had to log in again to edit it. It still doesn't show me as being logged in on the index page. I'm using Netscape and the URL was http://www.tikicentral.com.
(Is this what you wanted to know?)

Purple Jade:

Thanks for the info. Can you try the "delete cookies" thing I mention here? Then try posting again (perhaps in the test forum if you don't have any topics you want to add to) and let me know?

PS, if that doesn't work, you may need to delete all your Cookies and start fresh. I hate to suggest that since it's a pain in the ass, but I'm not using Netscape and I have no way to debug the problems on it, esp. since it's mostly working now.

Thanks!

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-06-09 14:20 ]

Didn't work. My folders have been staying red since yesterday too. I'll try something else and get back to you.

This is just going from bad to worse in Netscape. I deleted all cookies, but I can't log in at all (can still post obviously) and now all the folders are red. Works fine in Explorer though. I'll just switch.

Pages: 1 18 replies