Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Waikiki Tiki: Slide Show, Luau & The Smokin' Menehunes Tonight!!! 9/4 @ Don the Beachcomber, HB

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

Get your tickets now for this very special One-Night Engagement with author Phillip Roberts and the Smokin' Menehunes in a True Tiki Temple. Included is a luau buffet, live "hapa haole" music to set the mood and a slide presentation that will wisk you out of Southern California and onto the sunny shores of Oahu!

The Smokin' Menehunes will play during the buffet followed by an exciting and informative slide show presentation of Tiki in Waikiki and around Oahu and the rest of the Hawaiian Islands.

The music starts at 6:45pm and the buffet begins at 7pm.

Only $45 for an evening of food, live music and entertainment!

There will be drink specials and PRIMO swag give-aways.

Sponsored by Appleton Estate Rum and PRIMO Beer.

16278 Pacific Coast Hwy. Huntington Beach CA 92649 (562)592-1321

Purchase your tickets here: Waikiki Tiki: Spend An Evening in Paradise

Thank you to all who purchased tickets in advance! There will be tickets available at the door. Please be there at 6:30 to purchase tickets. The Smokin' Menehunes will begin at 6:45pm. There is a bar inside the Hidden Village so go directly to the back of Don the Beachcomber.**************************************************

During this event we will be doing a Raffle to help raise money for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Honolulu Organization.

Big Brothers and Big sisters of Honolulu

If you are interested in donating a prize for the Raffle please PM or email WooHoo Wahine [email protected]

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-09-04 08:33 ]

HT

Chris, Please put my wife and I down for 2 tickets, we have been waiting for such an authentic Hawaiian event for a long time that brings back the atmosphere of of the 50-60's with music ,food, and being in a great Tiki Bar. Thank you and your wife for putting a great event together for the Tiki People.

Aloha,

I am quite excited! As you know, I was planning on presenting this at Hukilau, but this is going to be much better. The intimate setting and the addition of my pals the Smokin' Menehunes is going to be great!

Aloha,

Hey, by the way. keep September 4th Open if you will be near LA. I'm coming to town with a dynamite presentation I call "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." I'm going to show it One Night Only at Don the Beachcombers in Huntington Beach for an intimate crowd. Luau buffett, Smoking Menehunes and a long interesting presentation of vintage slides, original photographs, and talk by me. Oh, also, you'll HEAR the Voice of Donn Beach. Gonna Be wicked cool.

I am so looking forward to this magical event !!

J

Ha, ha. I crack up imagining Spermy actually saying the words...

"I am so looking forward to this magical event !!"

But Phillip Roberts might change your Tiki outlook. He changed mine...

1. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30590&forum=1&vpost=564694

2. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30590&forum=1&vpost=565025

And I can't imagine better music to accompany this event than the Smokin' Menehunes.

:)

Just a quick "heads-up"...Tix will be going live for this event very soon! I will post the link here first. there will be very limited seating, so don't delay and get your tickets right away!

Faccebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=161245137280584

Tickets are now on sale!!! Go to: http://www.donthebeachcomber.tix.com/Event.asp?Event=389338 to purchase your tickets today. There is limited seating for this very exclusive event, so get 'em today!

HT

My wife and I purchased are tickets to: "SPEND AN EVENING IN PARADISE" WITH Phil Roberts with the Smokin' Menehunes at favorite Tiki restaurant Don's the Beachcomber . Thanks to Karen and Chris of Soccer Tiki Productions we will be celebrating are anniversity of being married in Honolulu in the early 70's in Sept.
This will be like being in Hawaii again for the best thing that happened to us in our lifetime.

Also looking forward to maybe in the future to a Tiki Cruise put on by Soccer Tiki Productions. Making events for Tiki People

[ Edited by: HB TIKI 2011-07-28 13:17 ]

During this event we will be doing a Raffle to help raise money for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Honolulu Organization.

http://www.bigshonolulu.org/site/c.8rKNI6MMIgIWE/b.6356917/k.EFF3/Home_Page.htm

If you are interested in donating a prize for the Raffle please PM me or email me at [email protected]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-07-27 14:02 ]

Aloha,

I think it's a great idea! I'll donate some juicy artifact used in the book! I'll have to think which one for a few days. This is going to be a swell night.

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: phillip roberts 2011-07-29 11:46 ]

The ticket sales are up an running! I spoke with Phillip Roberts the other day and he is very excited about this event and is adding new material to his show!

Artists and others are donating very cool items for the raffle prizes. We will be making a donation to the Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Honolulu foundation.

To get your tickets to this special event go to: Waikiki Tiki: Spend An Evening in Paradise

On 2011-07-09 18:15, SoccerTiki wrote:

Big Brothers and Big sisters of Honolulu

If you are interested in donating a prize for the Raffle please PM or email WooHoo Wahine [email protected]

FYI..... Raffle Tickets will be $5 a piece or $20 for 7 Raffle Tickets :)

‎10 FREE Tiki books to those Ticket Buyers to this event!
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=161245137280584

"The Parrot Talks in Chocolate" on Amazon.com

Wow! Thanks Everett! For those of you who haven't read the book, "The Parrot Talks in Chocolate" you will be in for a pleasant treat! It's a great read and you will be glad you read it! (Everett's got a couple other great books out as well!)

http://www.DonTheBeachcomber.com
http://www.tikioasis.com

"Marriage, Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-08-05 12:44 ]

A couple reviews:

"The average person would assume that Hawaii is dripping with tiki, but sadly, it’s not the case. Thanks to overzealous missionaries, most of the authentic Hawaiian artifacts were destroyed before U.S. servicemen arrived on the islands during WWII and kicked off the polynesian pop movement.

The odd truth is that tiki had to find its way back to the islands, which it did until the “destroy all mid-century” mentality of the ’70s and ’80s took over. Author Phillip S. Roberts new 264-page book, Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs, does a magnificent job of documenting the rise and fall of the tiki resurgence in Waikiki and the island of Oahu with lots of pictures of places and things that sadly no longer exist." Ken Kanaka

"...Whether you’re obsessed with tiki culture, find it tacky, or see it as an offensive display of cultural appropriation, you can’t deny the love that Phillip S. Roberts put into making this book. It’s a catalogue of Hawaii’s recent past, a piece of our modern popular culture we can’t deny, nor according to the author, one we shouldn’t be afraid to embrace." Alex (last name not available)

I got my tix, looking forward to good times. Totally stoked to see Phil in California again. Looking forward to seeing him in Waikiki (again) in November !!! Phil is My Man in Hawaii !!!

Aloha,

On 2011-08-08 10:15, SoccerTiki wrote:

"The average person would assume that Hawaii is dripping with tiki, but sadly, it’s not the case. Thanks to overzealous missionaries, most of the authentic Hawaiian artifacts were destroyed before U.S. servicemen arrived on the islands during WWII and kicked off the polynesian pop movement.

I liked Ken's review, but I did differ with him on one minor point, the role of--"overzealous missionaries" in the downfall.

The Kapu's were overthrown by the Hawaiian Monarchy (itself) in 1819 (see: 'Ai Noa, free eating-the concept of both sexes dining together.) and Kamehameha II (Liholiho - c. 1797–July 14, 1824) himself, ORDERED the Kapus not be enforced, the temples to be overthrown, and the idols burned. Luckily, everybody did not comply, thus the small amount of ki'i preserved today by museums. The few surviving Hawaiian carvings have prolifirated today providing the basis of what we all love...

The first Missionaries arrived in Hawaii some months later in 1820...

Thanks Scott. Can't wait to see you and Laura either! Proud of you buddy. I love your work!

HT

Sept 2 my wife and I will celebrate our 41th anniv of being married in Honolulu, so the SEPT 4 will be a great place to celebrate our anniversary at Don the Beachcomber with the talk by Phillip Roberts and the Menehunes, great drinks and food. Soccertiki said he would buy my first drink. So I had to buy a ticket.

Now THAT'S a beautiful story Roger!!! It's gonna be a fun night and YES, I'll buy you a Mai-Tai!!!

You can go directly to http://www.donthebeachcomber.com and purchase your tickets.

Phillip Roberts is preparing a very interesting, informative and enjoyable presentation. It'll be a great way to see Waikiki Tiki without leaving the mainland!

[ Edited by: soccertiki 2011-08-09 19:56 ]

Aloha,

Looking good! Totally stoked for this event. Still trying to figure out what artifact from the book to donate to the charity raffel, but it will be something nice! Ah, the pleaures of Microfilm as I continue to add little tweaks to the show!

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-12 17:26 ]

CA

can't wait for this event!

Aloha,

On 2011-08-12 19:03, crazy al wrote:
can't wait for this event!

OH MY GOSH! Quite excited to catch up with you! Have not seen you since you ran the Honolulu Marathon. I can, please bring those pics you wanted me to look at.

Best,

Phillip

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-14 00:13 ]

[ Edited by: phillip roberts 2011-08-14 01:35 ]

On 2011-07-27 13:51, WooHooWahine wrote:

If you are interested in donating a prize for the Raffle please PM me or email me at [email protected]

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to all who have already donated prizes for our Raffle. Keep them Coming!!!

I just purchased my tickets and look forward to this event.

Aloha,

I look forward to meeting you Tikitatt!

Not using this scan in the program, but if I'd been able to get a better quality one, I would have.

Ticket sales are moving right along! Get your tickets by going to: http://www.DonTheBeachcomber.com

On 2011-08-14 11:05, WooHooWahine wrote:

On 2011-07-27 13:51, WooHooWahine wrote:

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to all who have already donated prizes for our Raffle. Keep them Coming!!!  

There's going to be a lot of Cool Prizes :)

Aloha,

Things are coming along nicely! Added plenty of new things to the presentation.

Here's a microfilm scan that didn't clean up enough, so it won't be included in the presentation... but it is too cool not to post.

Tickets are selling quickly....Make sure you get yours ASAP!! This is a event you're not going to want to miss out on :)

Aloha,

I just want to remind you that this will be a chance for you in attendance to HEAR the VOICE of Donn Beach. DON THE BEACHCOMBER! GREAT QUALITY SOUND. You would swear you were right there at his luau in 1957-58. You do NOT want to miss this if you are in the LA area. I played it for Jeff Berry when he was here, and I must tell you, he was quite amazed. Loads of Eye candy not used in the Book... Smokin' Menehunes have assured my that they are going to be at the top of their game. this is going to be a super fun event! I am going to have some books for sale as well in case you do not already own it. if you do have a copy, feel free to bring it, and I'll sign it.

Best,

Phillip

HT

Phillip, my wife and I are really looking forward to hearing you at this event. We were in Hawaii in 1970 for celebrating are wedding. We will be celebrating are anniversary at this event. I am looking forward to buying you a DTB Mai Tai. Roger and Margi Brittan

Very kind words from Holden Westland, owner of Tiki Farm:
"During my travels to Hawaii in years past for both business and pleasure, I’ve had the opportunity to meet up with my pal, Honolulu resident Phil Roberts, on many occasions to review the progress of his “dream book”. Phil had originally wanted to entitle his body of work “Waikiki Tiki; Past & Present”. Phil’s obsession and his passion for the rise and the fall and the subsequent resurrection of “Tiki” in the greater Waikiki area is clearly evident in his impressive body of work, now officially entitled “Waikiki Tiki; Art, History And Photographs”. Phil’s dream indeed became a published reality!"

“Waikiki Tiki & Dinner Show”

Sunday, September 04, 2011 at 6:45PM
Don The Beachcomber
16278 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649

To purchase tickets:
http://www.donthebeachcomber.com
Phone: (562) 592-1321

J

OK, I'm officially in. That was kind of expensive. What's up with that Phillip, are they flying you out here first class ??

Ha, ha. Just kidding. That includes dinner AND the Smokin' Menehunes (who I haven't seen for almost 4 months). And I understand Lucas Vigor has doubled his rates. :)

Lookin' forward to your preso...

Aloha,

On 2011-08-27 10:00, JOHN-O wrote:
What's up with that Phillip, are they flying you out here first class ??

No, I am flying coach, JOHN-O... It will be good to see you.

Tickets purchased! Looking forward to it. :)

Phil is really putting a lot of time and effort to make this show great! I understand that there may be a little pamplet given to all in attendance... Please continue to tell your friends. This is something that any Don the Beachcomber and/or tiki fan won't want to miss!

HT

I just received an E-mail from my friend in Hawaii, Gecko, he is sending a hand made Tiki Mug to my house to be in the charity raffle next Sunday the 4 at the event. Phillip is one of Gecko's friends in Hawaii. There will be Hawaiian OHANA at this event.

Aloha,

On 2011-08-27 16:03, HB TIKI wrote:
I just received an E-mail from my friend in Hawaii, Gecko, he is sending a hand made Tiki Mug to my house to be in the charity raffle next Sunday the 4 at the event.

HB, I will be happy to accept that Mai-tai and wish you a happy anniversary! Many mahalos to Gecko! That is a sweet man! He has also HEARD the voice of Don the Beachcomber and was absolutely delighted. I look forward to seeing ALL of the California Ohana at this wonderful event!

The Mai Tai's will be flowin' next Sunday!!! As expected, ticket sales are brisk coming into the final week before the event. Please get your tickets now to assure a place at this historic event! Be one of the first on the mainland (in the last 50+ years) to hear Donn Beach's welcome speech at Waikiki's Don the Beachcomber circa 1957-1958.

A must for any true Don the Beachcomber fan!!!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-08-28 08:20 ]

I just received 12 books from Everett Peacock to give away at the event!!!

This book will make you feel like you're on a tropical island enjoying a Coco Loco Moco at a remote tiki bar.

Mahalo Mahalo Mahalo Everett!!!

Questions have been rolling in about the cost at the door the night of the event...We have been telling people that since it is a "limiting seating" event we cannot guarantee there will be availability at the door..

Secure your seats here: Waikiki Tiki: Spend An Evening in Paradise

If you cannot purchase through the website, contact me and I'll work with you!

Thanks and it's going to be a great show!

HT

Just finished the frame for Sept 4 HAWAII Exhibition at Dons for the Phillip Roberts, Menehunes, and Luau. This is a one of a kind frame that be in the Charity Auction.

Aloha,

That is one SWEET Frame, HB! ...and a great thing to donate!

Next Sunday is very close and I am quite ready to put on a great show! I'll continue to sharpen the presentation all the way up to the event. I know you coming to Don the Beachcomber will enjoy it.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-29 21:03 ]

AAARGH sounds awesome, but we are stuck in Vegas! Have fun, folks. Don's rocks!

WooHoo! Only 5 More Days..... What a Perfect Way to End Summer.."Spending an Evening in Paradise,"

Pages: 1 2 82 replies