Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki's in Maryland

Pages: 1 12 replies

R

Just finished my Tiki Home bar (without pics so far..) and checking to see if anyone knows of any places to get any Tiki items in the MD area. Any help- would be great!!

Pics to come!

On 2011-07-11 11:04, richie6 wrote:
Just finished my Tiki Home bar (without pics so far..) and checking to see if anyone knows of any places to get any Tiki items in the MD area. Any help- would be great!!

Pics to come!

hi richie6,

welcome - i'm a baltimore countyite myself... honestly i think most people around these parts have gotten tiki items primarily by mail order, tiki events, antique shop/thrift store scores etc... sadly there is no "tiki store" around here that WE know of... one thing that i have seen alot of is nautical items, which are good for tiki bars... the annapolis area is pretty lousy with ship lights, block & tackles, nets etc... there is a nautical boutique in fells point but the prices are for tourists.

hope this helps, hope to see photos soon!

j$

btw we have a local md/dc/va-based tiki board here: http://marylanddctiki.proboards.com/index.cgi

most of the discussion these days is about drinking, but there are a good handful of people who have outfitted their home tiki bars, that check in from time to time.

R

Hey J$,

Thanx for the info. My wife and I have been to Annapolis to check things out, but as you said.. A lot of nautical, not much tiki. Also, I have joined the MD Tiki Forum.

Here are a few pics of my new Tiki Bar. Just need to add a few items..

I was driving home from the beach the other day and I stumbled upon a place for you.

I was called Tiki Murph (239) 470-0946 or http://www.tikimurph.net he was just a few miles north of the DE beaches.

Hmm... with "Tikies" like that, and its Margaritaville soundtrack, this place could be in FLORIDA

At least he's growing Watermellons to sacrifice.

R

I'll have him check them out

T

richie6, finding Tiki in Maryland is TOUGH when you see it grab it. You may want to consider mail order thru the merchants on this site or thru Tiki Magazine which I've seen on the rack @ Barnes & Noble if you are in a hurry (Sorry Borders is gonesville this week!)Tiki is easier to find in CA. Good luck!

L
Lente posted on Thu, Jul 21, 2011 8:48 AM

I live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, halfway down the peninsula. Not too far from Maryland.
I'm friends with a couple of folks who are antique dealers down here. One of them didn't know what I meant at first when I said that I collect tiki. I had to kind of explain what I meant, and then she knew what I was talking about, but it's still telling.
The other guy said this "You don't see too much of that stuff here. No one was into it. The good news is I always buy tiki stuff when I see it at auction, and it's cheap because no one wants it." Culturally Maryland is quite different than here, so maybe this is kind of irrelevant. My two cents, anyway.

J

Take a trip to Rehobeth.

I was there last Fall and went through all the shell shoppes and other purveyors of seashore kitsch. I found several new, but good mugs, a decent mask, puffer fish, and plenty of Japanese glass floats. Also found a decent Tiki bottle opener and fish netting. Best of all, it was all on sale. There is also plenty of other nautical stuff.

On the way home, I grabbed one of Murph's Tiki carvings at a roadside vegetable market- may be the one in that picture above. Good work and the price was more than fair.

I have found some great stuff on Craigs List. Also, the downtown National Aquarium gift shop has some Japanese glass floats in netting. Maybe check out the big one in Baltimore.

Finally, World Market has mugs and a few other things. They have a lot of Bamboo items that could be the basis for projects or embellishments.

[ Edited by: JackLord 2011-07-24 16:34 ]

S

For what it's worth, the Tiki bar down on Solomon's (http://www.tikibarsolomons.com/Home.aspx) has a little Tiki shop, "Everything Tiki Store" where we've been able to score a few odds and ends and some Tiki Farm mugs from time to time.

Don't go expecting a Trader Vic's style experience, but enjoy some of what Tiki Maryland has to offer. Some years back they reworked the place with a TON of Bosko goodies it has its charms, in its own Maryland sort of a way.

While you're down that a way, you can visit what's left of Vera's White Sands, now Vera's Beach Club (http://www.verasbeachclub.com/) There are still a number of Tikis around the property and bits and pieces remain, though the site is fundamentally changed from the era of Vera. The A-frame entrance is long gone, and much of what I documented in these pix- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Veras is now either gone or scattered about, but there are still some remnants.

As for the rest? The MD/DC/(VA) Tiki board is the place to be, not high volume, but it's where you'll find genuine Tikiphiles, many with their own little slices of Tropical paradise.

J

Good call Sabina. I forgot about the shop at the Tiki Bar. I grabbed some good mugs there once.

Pages: 1 12 replies