Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Airstream Tiki Bar Build in Cleveland

Pages: 1 13 replies

P

After getting shut down on a liquor license in our town we've decided to go mobile. We've spent the past couple years searching for just the right Airstream to outfit as our own mobile lounge.

The Stats:
1969 Airstream Land Yacht '21 Single Axle

Tow Vehicle:
1969 Ford Econoline Chateau "Bradley Van Stabbin" 302 V8 w/ factory tow package and various "your daughter might be in here" upgrades.

The quest:
I'm looking for lightweight Tiki themed building materials, the key is lightweight. 1/2 round 2" bamboo in the quantity we'll need will simply weigh too much. The essentials (A/C, Fridge, Freezer, lighting, Seating, wash, booze, well etc.) is going to make the beast too heavy if we try to use traditional Tiki Bar materials.

Our goal is similar to leather-match furniture, we want the tactile areas to be the real deal, but the stuff covering the vast expanses can be less "authentic" in favor of low weight.

To get a rough idea of what we're talking about here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150626055597&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Keep in mind our trailer is longer and less "surf" We're aiming for more dark and intimate than the inside a rotisserie chicken bag you see above, so wall coverings and textures are key.

Help us trim this baby out in style and we'll do our part by dragging it around featuring guest bartenders and portable ambiance.

[ Edited by: POCphil 2011-07-11 13:40 ]

I'd say paint is your friend... with the right "artist" things can look very real and 3d. but weigh much less. - Or even try wrapping - like they do with cars. I think you are only talking about the inside so that would make it cheaper.

just a thought.

PS have Lake surfer carve some interior panels like he did for my vw bus - posted some where on here.

CLEVELAND?

T

Nice Econo !!! WHOO ! Boogie Van power !

Krylon Fusion spray buttercream is very lightweight! Gives a damned good natural "yellow" bamboo color. I have a Sherwin-Williams color code match somewhere. You would also want to get old fashioned shellac. Brush that over the buttercream and it darkens/goldens/shines a bit.
What you paint it on is a tough choice. There is a company "out there" that makes fake bamboo "walling?" I saw it on a "pimpmyride" type a show about five years ago.

P

The outside will be highly polished with local pinstriping (you copy, Kevin?) the interior I'm going for will be tactile. I'm definitely going for more of a smugglers cove, less of a tiki-ti look, if that makes sense to anyone.

Oh yeah, it's Cleveland.

Use burlap form lowes or home depot to cover some.

S

Weigh too much? That van ought to tow a lot more than that trailer, fully loaded. I'd bet the GVW weight on that is no more that 3000 lbs. That's with tanks full, etc. 1/2 round bamboo is not heavy. It's hollow ferchisakes! Do what you want and do not worry about weight. It will be 2 x 4's and other things that will make it weight too much, not bamboo and thatch finishings. You might construct out of PVC rather than wood for the framing of stuff.

owner 1964 Avion Holiday 24 footer and former owner of a 1968 Sero Scotty Gaucho.

POC? I have a bottle at home that I picked up when I was living there in the late '90's. Good luck with the airstream.
Go Tribe! Go Brownies!

S

And on a side note. If you have not polished an Airstream before, reconsider it. It is a lot of work and keeping it looking like a mirror is also a lot of work. There are lots of resources on it, but in general, unless you have an indoor climate controlled storage, you may be in for a real headache.

Is the 12 volt system intact? You might get boat lights to tie into that, but, that also depends on the interior in general. Getting to those wires may be a trick.

What about styrofoam or any hard foam carved tikis and wall decor? Especially for "behind the bar". Any pieces that may be touched by patrons could be protected (somewhat) with a thin layer of plaster cast material.

I think this guy was just a 'drive by'

TZ

I hope not - I'd love to see how this turns out. And, I have to admit, I'm puzzled . . . if you get shut down on a liquor license, how do you legally "go mobile" with a bar?

On 2011-07-29 07:10, Tiki Zen wrote:
I hope not - I'd love to see how this turns out. And, I have to admit, I'm puzzled . . . if you get shut down on a liquor license, how do you legally "go mobile" with a bar?

you don't.

Pages: 1 13 replies