Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fun with Limes

Pages: 1 6 replies

M

Here's a bartending technique some of you already may know about but I just learned and thought I'd pass on. A bartender friend recently helped me with some fruit garnishes for cocktails. She showed me how to take the skin off a lime and slice it into strips
which then can be used in drinks or for color on various fruit plates.

1. Cut the ends off the lime.

2. Score the lime lengthwise through the skin. Stick an icepick or an awl just under the skin, penetrating about a half inch or less, and rotate all the way around. Repeat on the other end. You should be able to work the entire skin off and have the fruit intact.

3.Slice the skin in thirds (or whatever). You can get quite a few strips about an inch and a half long out of this. Throw them in ice-water and grab another lime.

No fair laughing at my drawings.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-06-03 16:52 ]

TT

The pictures look like something out of a third world sex education book.

T

Third world's don't have sex education books - that's why they're third worlds...

tiki time wrote:
The pictures look like something out of a third world sex education book.

Tiki_Bong wrote:
Third world's don't have sex education books - that's why they're third worlds...

Maybe they had too much "Fun with Limes"!

(Thanks for the info MrTikiBar)

M

I edited this. I forgot to mention scoring the lime lengthwise is step 2. It takes some practice by the way. If you try it, keep a bowl under the project so as not to waste juice. My first peeled lime was very mangled but I'm getting better.

Look out at yard sales for a peel peeler - I got one as part of a promotional set by Sunkist. It makes the scoring part a lot easier. Although I know many of you have no problems scoring.

KK

On 2003-06-04 22:07, Futura Girl wrote:
Look out ... Although I know many of you have no problems scoring.

A-hemm...

Pages: 1 6 replies