Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

MontiTiki's Oasis Tiki Bar

Pages: 1 4 replies

This is my home Tiki Bar. I decided that the pool house, which had been primarily used for storage needed to be re-purposed into my Mid-Century Polynesian dream by my pool. It isn't finished ( are any of them, really?) but I do have it open to serve my family and friends.
This is the pool house before. A restroom on the left side with a commode and sink. a wall separates the restroom from the storage area.

This is the rear-facing fence. It had a small outcropping of a concrete pad for the pool filter. The pool filter was relocated and the fence post were cut down to resemble the pilings of a pier. I kicked out the fence 8 feet and put up fencing to contain the newly claimed area. Then we framed in a new deck for entertaining.

Next we cut a hole in the side of the pool house. A header was made and the hole framed in. If you don't have much money, you develop skills.

Next I took a 3/4 inch plywood board and laid bamboo flooring down on it. New bar top!

This is how it looks in place.

A treatment to conceal rafters and give it the ambiance I wanted.

A view from the back of the storage area to the new opening. Stainless steel racks for the various items needed. A partial frame wall (not load bearing) to hang the Lauhala mats which conceals any storage items and the kegerator.

I've hung two mid-century period masks and torch/candle holder set on the wall and added a battery operated candle.

A view of what I've done so far from the outside.

I have more plans for electrical updating and sound.

I almost forgot! I made a drink for the auspicious occasion of opening my home tiki bar and I will share it with my fellow tiki enthusiast. It's a touch on the sweet side.

The Lost World Cocktail
Shaker
Ice
Shot of Sweet & Sour mix
Shot of Cruzan Pineapple rum
Shot of Cruzan Banana Run
Shot of Cruzan Mango Rum
½ oz of Rose’s Grenadine
Shot of Tonic Water
Shake and serve in a margarita glass with a sprig of mint and an umbrella. It has to have an umbrella!

A hui hou!

[ Edited by: MontiTiki 2011-07-15 20:26 ]

That looks AWESOME! It's great what just a little bit of remodel can do to an area!

What are you planning to do with the bamboo?

The bamboo was used to make a frame that I hung canvas on to provide sun protection over the far corner of the deck for my dad when he visits, but it doesn't last at all. I left the frame in place and the rain and weather caused it to develop a black rust or mold and I ended up throwing all out. Fortunately there is more growing around here so I can use bamboo for trim on shelving and maybe the opening in the pool house wall.

It looks cozy!

Pages: 1 4 replies