Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki Costa Lota

Pages: 1 3 replies

We'll here is my new build. Over the last few years I have been building and finally finishing my outdoor kitchen and bar and am now moving on to my hut. The inspirations for the build are the Backyard Bali Hai, the Kentucky Bali Hai and the Rincon Room. At the same time that I'm using their design ideas I'm trying to keep the same build theme as the rest of the house. All of my outdoor patios use 6x6 posts and 6x10 beams so regardless of the size of the structure, I'm trying to use the same heavy lumber. I prime with one coat and paint with one coat prior to putting up the lumber so it will be easier to finish up later.
The roof pitch of my kitchen and bar matches the house and 6/12 but the the Tiki Hut will probably be 14/12, I'm not exactly sure yet. I'm looking for comments and input as I go along so please post your thoughts!
If anyone is interested I can post pics of my kitchen and bar also, just let me know.
Here is the progress for the last couple of days. About 7 years ago, I put the post bases in in case I ever wanted to build some sort of patio cover. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking about design considerations so the post bases are not exactly symmetrical but once the hut is built those flaws will be covered up. Thanks for checking it out.

Backyard Bali Hai

Kentucky Tiki Hut

The famous "Rincon Room"

The "Before Pic"

Post Bases

6x6 posts up but they need trimming

Posts trimmed to match the same height as the other structures

First 6x10 beam up and my son tightening the 5/8" lags

Another view

Here's the next beam for tomorrow. It's a heavy one at over 14 feet!

Here's a picture of my kitchen and bar to get perspective. Let me know and I can post detailed pics of this.

In between the kitchen and the new Tiki Hut I have a shade structure. Same heavy lumber. By the way, I have grey concrete roof tiles on the house so I used corrugated metal on the backyard structures. It's lightweight, inexpensive, adds a tropical flare and matches the roof tiles.

Well that's it for now!

S

The heavy 17 foot long 6x10 beam is up!

TZ

Great start - can't wait to follow the progress!

PP

very very cool and well named Sir!!! my wife says I should name my Costa too Mucha!!!!
whens the party???

Pages: 1 3 replies