Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cheapest Way To Ship A Tiki

Pages: 1 10 replies

I have someone in the states custom carving a tiki for me. As he has no experience in shipping his goods any great distance, he's asked me to look into it.
I'm looking for suggestions as to the cheapest/reliable way (aside from asking someone to pick up & drop off) to ship a tiki from one state to another (Sweetgrass, MT to be specific).
Tiki dimensions approximately 4-5' Tall, 12" diameter, weight 100 lbs. What the approximate cost might be etc.

With Thanks,

both greyhound and amtrak offer freight shipping. it is the cheapest way to ship large objects.
of course it helps if you live near a bus or train station.

exquisitecorpse is right, although I brought a 68 pound Tiki home from Vegas in a duffel bag & all it cost me was the extra bag fee. Boy, the guys in baggage at Logan Airport got a surprise!

T

Yep. Set it up with Greyhound. I've shipped 2 to 3 footers UPS too. Even one to Oahu.

I've shipped 5 footers, 12" diameter through UPS with great success. Not that expensive either (around $50 depending on weight)

Just wrap the sucker in bubble wrap, find or make a box that fits snug, fill extra space with bubble wrap/peanuts whatever and ship it out!

I've heard about greyhound shipping too, but I'm not anywhere near a bus station, so I haven't tried them.

What? no one uses "Tiki Express"

Tie it up in a package and have Homing Pigeons carry it.

I saw it on TV once so I know it will work.

:)

Greyhound is probably the easiest option. Maybe not the best option, but one of the easiest.

Aloha, thank you all for the suggestions ... unfortunately Sweetgrass is just a tiny border crossing with a couple of warehouses and a bar. No Greyhound or Amtrak. I think it's UPS for us. Hope the rates are cheaper than what they'd charge in Canada (robbery)!

On 2011-07-19 09:01, Chip and Andy wrote:
Tie it up in a package and have Homing Pigeons carry it.

Do you mean african or european homing pigeons?

P

On 2011-07-19 11:34, Polynesiac wrote:

Do you mean african or european homing pigeons?

Huh? I... I don't know that.

Wayne Coombs shipped me a couple of 5' Tikis I bought from him
10 years ago through UPS from Florida to California. Was not too
expensive. He just rolled a large piece of heavy cardboard around
them attached with a few short nails....old school. Looks like UPS
would be the way to go

Pages: 1 10 replies