Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Well, now that I've gone and put my foot in it with that Lanai mug post...

Pages: 1 7 replies

B

... is this the right forum to post pictures of a collection? "Modest" doesn't even begin to describe it-- it's just 7 pieces!-- but if people want to see it I'll post pictures. There is another mug in it I'd love to know more about.

That's okay, Brandi, don't worry about it. If you'd like to, you can go back to your original post about the mug and edit it (even the thread title if you wish) and then continue to post pictures of the rest of your collection there. As the late great Yoda once said, "size matters not."

Welcome to TC

Bear :drink:

B

Thank you. I think I'll go ahead and show the other pieces here.

The 5 in these two pictures are from my parents. Dad apparently quite liked tiki bars and rum drinks when he was dating my mom. By the time I was around to be taken to Kelbo's he was moving away from spirits and towards wine and beer...

The three moai are all from The Tikis in "So. San Gabriel California" (according to the labels on the backs).

These two I know even less about-- and my parents don't really remember the carryings-on from nearly half a century ago... I figure the skull is from Kelbo's, as they used to show such a mug on their light-box drink menus. If anyone can enlighten me about the one on the left I'd appreciate it. (Poor thing's a bit chipped but displays well.) I can also take other pictures as needed; right now you can't see the mug handles on the backs of those two because I wanted to show off the faces.

The other two mugs I recently found at a local thrift, to my surprise-- I've found many odd things at said thrift but usually not tiki pieces. The Lanai mug's in the other thread, and before that I found a Mark Thomas Outrigger three-face bucket mug. (One thing I like with a smartphone is that I can try to get guesses as to what I'm looking at before I buy-- although not every site is readable on a phone!)

Z

is the one on the right exceptionally thin-walled for a tiki mug?

--The skull looks like an old Tepco mug.
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=440

Z

by the way, you should be very happy to have those wonderful mugs. great pieces, with great history... perfect!

The one on the left in the last pic looks like a Westwood to me, but it's not included in the Westwood on ooga-mooga, here's a link to the search results (if it works) http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/search.cgi?terms=westwood;des_id=any;man_id=any;img_id=any;shp_id=any;clr_id=any;mode=search_process;x=0;y=0&show=50&details=yes

On 2011-09-08 11:59, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
The one on the left in the last pic looks like a Westwood to me,

It's a Westpac mug.

Buzzy Out!

Z

I have a brown Moai "The Tikis" mug with the San Gabriel name also. Not sure why The Tiki's would change that from "Monterey Park" since they were clearly in Monterey Park. The city of San Gabriel is just northeast of it, and Monterey Park is on the southwest side of San Gabriel Valley but they weren't really in south San Gabriel. The map today shows Monterey Park as being in west San Gabriel Valley, but there are newer cities in the south since the '60s and early '70s, so they might have been considered as being in the south back then.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-24 02:22 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies